Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 08-15-2017

Default Blown Motor

Major bummer. Thursday night came to a stop for traffic on the highway and was immediately engulfed by a cloud of what looked like grey/white smoke. And then a sorry sound from the front of the motor. Thought maybe I'd thrown a belt. Pulled to the shoulder and shut it down. Towed approximately 25 miles - driveline and axels intact, front wheels up. No options to do otherwise - averaged 20 mph, never got over 25. Good thing it was 3:30am and the traffic was light.

Next morning while looking things over found foam on the crankcase dipstick - not much, just some. Mechanic then added 10 gallons of water to the radiator which immediately showed up in the crankcase. Mechanic suspects water pump failure leading to fast loss of coolant. So fast so that temp gauges went quickly from measuring water to ambient hence no warning buzzers. Could just be a blown head gasket but based on the speed of the newly added water going to the crankcase the mechanic felt it was probable that both head and block are
cracked.

Have not yet heard how much a short block will run. The coach only had 107,000 miles, no rust, used as a weekender most its life I'd guess based on condition of sinks, shower, etc - little wear. Guess I'm still unsure which way I'll jump when I receive the quote. Luckily I wasn't too far from home - Kingston, WA and the guys at Flying Wrench seem knowledgeable. Definitely have to pull the heads to assess but mechanic is telling me to prepare for the worst.
Old 08-15-2017

It'll be bad, you need a long block @ the least and hopefully the tow didn't cook the ZF.
On the plus side, lot's of marine needs where you are and boats use 3208, a better quality of reman engine is appropriate for your coach.
Figure on mid 20's to do a correct repair, used engine or cheap fly by nite repair would be a wasted effort, better to off it as is if not willing to bite the bullet.
Pulling the heads is throwing money down the drain, fresh engine is needed, believe me.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-15-2017

^^^^^ listen to him. this guy KNOWS.
Old 08-15-2017

Coolant should be changed out every two years in a coach, flush and fill, watch the PH with test strips or this sort of thing happens.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-15-2017

I just now started a different thread asking for a step-by-step procedure for the coolant change and test strip task.
Old 08-15-2017

.... no trying to argue the cause, but I had the radiator rodded out and of course the coolant changed spring of 2016.
Old 08-15-2017

1989 to 2016...........yeah.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-15-2017

i really, don't see how a sudden failure of the water pump would cause this unless it knocked a large hole in the pump casting. I would suspect a coolant hose or perhaps one of the coolant tubes to the ZF.

Really doesn't matter at this point it just has to be fixed. A fresh 300 horse in a nice FC is a good thing.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-15-2017

Rick, OP claimed the sump filled with water, lifted a head @ the least.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Coolant should be changed out every two years in a coach, flush and fill, watch the PH with test strips or this sort of thing happens.
Flush and fill even when using CAT ELC ?

Do you think its work the money to do the forensics to see what's up or just pull and get a new one ? Just wondering.