Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-01-2019

I suggest placing several clothes pins (wooden or metal) on the fuel line and if vapor lock is the problem, the heat will dissipate through the clothes pins. This is an old trick that works and inexpensive fix too.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
I suggest placing several clothes pins (wooden or metal) on the fuel line and if vapor lock is the problem, the heat will dissipate through the clothes pins. This is an old trick that works and inexpensive fix too.
Omg, that's awesome!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-02-2019

Have you considered adding some MMO to the fuel tank, and also to the oil when you change it out? I hear those Splitfire plugs also have a way hotter spark and work better. You should also switch to solid copper core plug wires, those resistance wire are junk.
Old 08-02-2019

Using 91 octane NE (no ethanol) https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO is the way to go with ALL air-cooled small engines. Always keep the gasoline tank "topped-off" to prevent condensation inside the tank. Never buy 87 octane gasoline with ethanol and expect it to remain fresh for longer than 30 days. The E10 or greater blend will pick up moisture from the air in as little as 30 days will turn stale. If the fuel will not be consumed within 30 days, immediately add Stabil to extend the life.

Sorry corn farmers, but the shelf life of gasoline with ethanol is very short; another reason to have a diesel generator on board rather than have to deal with handling gasoline just for fueling the generator. https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=272316
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I have many Onans on various equipment and the only thing that stops them is a dirty fuel supply, f'd up points/condenser, or a dying fuel pump. They were available with various pumps, some lever-style mechanical on top, some were vacuum ones, and I've converted everything but one to electric pumps. If the fuel gets hot after running a while and the weaker pumps, especially the vacuum ones, cavitate with ease and hardly move any fuel to the carb. I dare say an electric pump will fix the problem without really knowing what's going on, or it might mask a plugged up fuel line, etc.
My 6.5 started acting up and i am leaning it to the fuel pump. It has an electric pump now but i noticed the in line filter that is installed before the pump has very little fuel in it. What do you normally run for a pump on them? Seems like quite a pull from the tank to the pump, especially for a weak pump.
Old 08-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver8498 View Post
My 6.5 started acting up and i am leaning it to the fuel pump. It has an electric pump now but i noticed the in line filter that is installed before the pump has very little fuel in it. What do you normally run for a pump on them? Seems like quite a pull from the tank to the pump, especially for a weak pump.
I actually use the Onan generator electric pumps, which is a common/generic pump avaialble under a lot of other brand names. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-GENERA...-/232435917595 for example. There are some facet pumps that would work great, too. Just need to keep the pressure down under about 6psi if I remember right.

Most electric pumps don't like to prime (even though many "will"), so you need to mount it at the same level as the bottom of the tank.
Old 08-06-2019

I had tried a few fuel pumps on the ONAN (one from my jeep, one from a dif GEN, ect) I then looked up the spec on the ONAN pump and got a replacement pump and now it works good. I could not find the pump part # right now but will keep looking, but look up the spec on the ONAN pump.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!