Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2013
cmillsap

Default Electric Heaters

Tela and I just spent a few days in the coach in Las Vegas. The nites were cool enough that a little heat was needed. Since we were hooked to shore power, I decided to use the electric baseboard heaters instead of the hydronic heat.

In the bathroom over the vanity are two thermostats, one labeled for electric heat and on labeled for hydronic heat. The M380 has two baseboard electric heaters, one is under the bathroom vanity and one is under the laundry closet doors. The electric thermostat will turn on the heater below the laundry closet doors but does not turn on the heater under the vanity. That heater under the vanity is connected to a solid state relay (I think that is what it is) located on the wall under the vanity. It appears that this relay is activated by a signal from a thermostat to close the 120V contacts and direct power to the heater. There is 120V at that relay coming from the bath elec heat breaker in the bedroom load center.

My reason for describing the above is that I cannot find a separate thermostat for that heater. I’m in hopes that someone can tell me if it is controlled off the same thermostat that controls the other heater under the laundry closet doors or is there a separate thermostat for it somewhere that I can’t find?

If both heaters are controlled by the same thermostat; does anyone know why the thermostat is able to send a signal to one heater but not the other as there is no control power at the relay (pic) with the thermostat turned all the way up.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	20280  
Old 02-18-2013
Forum Moderator

Chuck I have an electric toe kick heater in the kitchen that will not turn on unless I have the front AC switch turned on along with the wall switch at the thermometer. Crazy but true.
Old 02-18-2013
cmillsap

Thanks, Rob, I did find the problem, now what to do about it? With these Wanderlodges it seems the problems are usually more simple in the end than I antisipate.

It seems to never fail with me. I can find the problem AFTER posting but not before. The thermostat in the bath does indeed control both heaters. I traced the problem to the heater itself. There is a little component in the heater that I don’t know what it is but it does not let the current past through it. It’s the little round white thangamagig in the center of the pic with the O53111 #s on it. Jumping it allows the heater to function.

Anyone know what this is? Is it replaceable or do I just need to get a new heater? This is a Cadet Model UC heater. I guess I should call the manufacturer.

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	20281  
Old 02-18-2013

I believe thats called a snap disk. They come in different temperature set points and will open and close (electrically) at the temperature set points. On my coach there is one in the engine compartment that controls an exhaust fan to come on when the compartment heat gets too hot.
Yes they are replacable and I think grainger has them.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 02-18-2013

That is what is called a snap disc. It is an over them thermostat switch. If the heater overheats the snap disc stops the flow of electricity. There is likely a temperature range printed on it. You can likely just replace that snap disc. I bought a couple on EBay a couple of years ago.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-18-2013

Here is one that might work, You want yours to open on temperature rise to cut electricity to the heater.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERP-Furnace-...item564a7876c2

this one opens at 200* and then closes when the temp falls below 160*. Have a look at the one in you heater for a temp range. then look on ebay or at an electric supply house. they should be able to X ref the number.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-18-2013

Make sure there isn't an issue as to why it may have failed. Maybe it got too hot due to fan failure, a restriction in the air flow etc. As long as you have it opened make sure all that is OK too.

You shouldn't use it long jumpered around it as it will allow it to get too hot.

All that may be obvious but I wanted to make sure.
Fruita Colorado
Old 02-18-2013

Remember to replace it SOON. You are opening yourself to a fire if combustibles build up in the heater. Bypassing the safety is like putting a penny in a fuse holder. I know you know that, but just in case....
Old 02-18-2013
Forum Moderator

Cadet heaters went through a recall. I'll see if I can find the info I've written down somewhere. Here's where I purchased the updated heater

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/Cadet...?per=15&page=3

Here's some recall info. I believe the toe kick heaters in BB that had to be replaced were the TK and RK models but if I'm wrong here someone please chime in.

http://www.crestviewhomeinspections....s/50106917.pdf

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 02-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2013
cmillsap

Thanks to all, I appreciate the great info. I'm gonna replace the snap disk. I appreciate the warning also, although we aren't using the heater, it's 75* here now. I temporarily jumped the "snap disc" just to troubleshoot the problem.

Chuck