Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2016

Default Public Flogging

For the first time, I have been disappointed in WOG! One of the things that I loved about this group was how “tight” the group was. Something I mentioned in one of my first posts many years ago. I mentioned that this group reminded me of the FOP. It seemed this group was tight and always had your back. Something I didn’t think I would ever see again, after retiring. This group had become a source of pride for me, when talking to fellow RVers, who don’t know about the group. I would comment how great the group was and how well everyone treated each other. I really want to continue telling people those things. Given recent comments on a recent thread, I don’t know that I can.

This group, as I understand it, was set up as a resource for all of us owners. When any one of us has a problem or an issue, that we just don’t have an answer to, we feel very comfortable in asking WOG. We all know the abundant resources of this group and its members. It seems that there isn’t an issue that comes up that there isn’t some other member, in this group, that hasn’t experienced the same issue and freely passes along his solution, to the person seeking help. Even if this is a unique issue, the brain power in this group, is phenomenal and many times results in a solution for the member in trouble. Unfortunately, a recent poster, got more than he was asking for. Yes he received some advice to his solution. But he was also, Publicly Flogged! There isn’t any better way to put it than that. Since when has this become a function of WOG? I think the key word is Publicly. I don’t think I need to remind anybody, but there is a Private Message service available on this forum. I believe this group would have been better served if some comments on this specific thread, had been conveyed in private. The purpose of the message would still have been realized. Someone would have been alerted to their short sightedness or whatever the author of the message was trying to convey. But he wouldn’t have been subject to public ridicule. We always receive criticism much better, from a boss, someone in authority, or even a friend, if it is done politely and in private. Maybe I have been lucky in my life and always had good supervisors. Because I don’t recall one time, that if I screwed up, the boss didn’t call me into his office, told me to shut the door, then told me how I screwed up and how I shouldn’t do it again. I don’t ever recall him shouting out the door, across the office to me, where everyone could here. I accepted the criticism and made adjustments that needed to be made. I wasn’t embarrassed or ashamed. I walked around the office with my head held up, afterward. It isn’t a subject of being thin skinned or thick skinned. It is a subject of courtesy. Nothing more. Treating someone like you would like to be treated.

There is no doubt that sometime in the future there may be a similar situation, where somebody needs to be advised of some errant thinking or of lack of thinking, altogether. It may even be me. Like I said, we all have our moments. I just hope somebody PMs me to let me know. I tend not to be as forgiving as many other people are.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-05-2016

Jim,
I agree 100%! I think (There's the Problem!) that ALL the parties involved in that thread should send a Private message Apology to the OP Regardless of who is right and who is wrong! Suck it up Buttercup. I also think that the moderators should close that thread and if the OP wants to start another thread, Then WE can offer advice on his specific problem and get his bird back on the road like we as a group know how to do !!!
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-05-2016

Jim,

I have only owned my bird for a few months now and early on, I reached out to you in person for some quick tips and pointers on things after you extended a warm welcome to me.

Thank you so much for your post today. It confirms exactly what I experienced when I first spoke with you. You are a true gentleman who is full of wisdom and I couldn't agree with you more.

Regards

Jon
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 01-05-2016
prone to wandering

Jim, I couldn't agree more, I was very disappointed in the reaction taken by some. Thanks for putting it into words
Jim
jimdoel@me.com
Old 01-05-2016

guess I didn't see the post you speak of jim
but I agree with you,,,
I have always been impressed with the support of the wog and its members... I for one try to look up things first but computer's are not my thing so some times I can't find stuff and ask about something that's probably in here some where but I can count on someone helping me- hope that never changes... I try to help others all I can as well.
I try to not offend folks but I know sometimes what I type may not come out the way I meant it to sound. I do make a conches effort to not type anything that resembles member bashing ,,,, cus I like you guys.
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 01-05-2016

Jim, I hold you in the highest regard and I understand and respect your opinion l respectfully disagree ONLY because the safety of others is involved.

I for one and clearly some others felt the OP never owned up to his responsibility. You may feel that he did. Justifying your position. At the least his thoughts about this remain in doubt.

Jim I do find it interesting that your position is as it is given your background in the police force. You more then anyone would know the potential for injury and devastation driving a 32000 lb vehicle with steering that "gives out".

Puplic flogging??? This is a Internet forum. All he had to do was CLEARLY admit his errors and we would have backed off. The last thing he said on the subject was that he felt he was going to be vilified even he drove the bus 45 minutes to get it fixed AFTER HE HAD RUN IT INTO A DITCH. I guess so.

My thinking may be in error and we should probably drop the subject but I hope the next time I get stopped for one of my infrequent traffic screw ups all I get is a public flogging (which is deserved) and I get to keep the cash.

Again with the greatest respect Jim Heck Man

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-05-2016

Yep^^. The guy is a twit, coddling isn't in the best interest.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-05-2016

The problem with written comments, like memos,and especially informal comments, is that the tone of voice and body English are missing, leading to taking something out of a statement that wasn't intended. That is a common problem in business. But, face to face is hard to do in this environment, so sometimes we need to give the benefit of the doubt and pass on by. Hard to do, but needed.

It actually is a good thing we are not all the same. As the French say, "Vive la difference!" (...although I think they were probably referring to the opposite sex.)
Old 01-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Yep^^. The guy is a twit, coddling isn't in the best interest.
Lol, Mike... A man of few words, sums it up.

I tell people about the WOG all the time, for sure the reason I went with a Bird.
Gotta take the good with the bad, "life is like a box of chocolates".
I read the OP didnt seem to bad to me, got a little long, lots of posts didn't read them all.
Old 01-06-2016
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Jim, I hold you in the highest regard and I understand and respect your opinion l respectfully disagree ONLY because the safety of others is involved.

I for one and clearly some others felt the OP never owned up to his responsibility. You may feel that he did. Justifying your position. At the least his thoughts about this remain in doubt.

Jim I do find it interesting that your position is as it is given your background in the police force. You more then anyone would know the potential for injury and devastation driving a 32000 lb vehicle with steering that "gives out".

Public flogging??? This is a Internet forum. All he had to do was CLEARLY admit his errors and we would have backed off. The last thing he said on the subject was that he felt he was going to be vilified even he drove the bus 45 minutes to get it fixed AFTER HE HAD RUN IT INTO A DITCH. I guess so.

My thinking may be in error and we should probably drop the subject but I hope the next time I get stopped for one of my infrequent traffic screw ups all I get is a public flogging (which is deserved) and I get to keep the cash.

Again with the greatest respect Jim Heck Man
Sometimes it is really not necessary to be so Politically Correct.

Sometimes it is better to be quiet and listen then it is to speak up, but in this case I agree with the Heckman. In this particular case the individual knew and admitted to the mechanical problem and he admitted he put it in the ditch, but did not admit to his own negligence. If he had only asked for assistance with a steering problem and not admit to his own short comings I doubt anyone would have questioned it, but when he publicly announced he knew it was failure prone he opened himself up for such opinions. I think the individual either did not grasp the risk or danger they could have potentially caused with this mechanical deficiency and knowingly drove the vehicle on public highways putting family members and the general public in danger. Knowing the vehicle steering locked up frequently during a turn should have been a big red flag to park it & fix it before putting it back on the road. Dave Ramsey the noted radio talk show host repeatedly uses the phrase,” It’s not against the law to be stupid.” I at times like this feel that it should be, and if it takes a few folks to voice their opinion of errors lately mentioned so be it; what would be better to be publicly admonished for less than favorable actions, or be publicly noted for causing a vehicular homicide? In this particular case if someone caused a fatality from their actions I don’t think the legal system would consider it an accident especially when they knew they had a mechanical failure. All it would take is one of his family members say “well it happened all the time”. This is another good example that if you can’t afford to properly maintain a vehicle then maybe you should park it, pull the wheels, sit it on blocks because it does not need to be on the public right of way, putting me, my family or friends in harm’s way. Driving a vehicle any distance when you know that it has a mechanical issue that could potentially cause harm to others would be negligent. I recently had a mechanical issue arise and was encouraged by the shop foreman to drive it into the shop, and with advice from members of this forum I elected to heed their advice and have it hauled into the shop instead of driving it. If I had gone ahead it could have potentially caused further damage, and possibly broke down on the side of the road during the major rush hour putting others at risk as well. When or if the time comes and I can’t afford to properly maintain my coach it will be put on blocks or put up for sale and that would not be a difficult choice.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_