Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-30-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Quick Release Valve for Air Brakes

While on my way to Randy's after the RATS rally, along with Dick Gideon and Mallie Lennon and their wives, we decided to stop for lunch in Cuthbert, GA. and while we were stopped at a traffic light waiting to make the turn into the Huddle House I lost a good amount of the air in my system, but was able to get the 'Bird into the parking lot and that was where it stopped building any air in the system. After we ate lunch I raised the doghouse cover to make sure that I hadn't broken the belts, I started the 'Bird in another attempt to build up the air pressure, and tapped the governor, the remote air inlet filter was sucking air so that was a good sign, while Mallie took a look under the rear end where he could hear air escaping and determined that it was escaping from the Quick Release Valve. I decided to give Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service a call and use my membership, within 15 minutes I had Oliver of Charlot Tire Service and Repair on his way from Albany, GA. on his way, he stopped at Heavy Duty Parts to see if he could bring a new valve with him, but they were not sure which one it was and I couldn't find any part number for it here on WOG.

Oliver arrived within the specified time and while a strong wind stirred up the sand covered parking lot which didn't help things any, he proceeded to crawl under the coach and trouble shoot the problem, he then disassembled the valve in place and found a small flat piece of rubber was stuck in the valve allowing the air pressure to continue to escape, after cleaning everything up he put it all back together and we proceeded to test the system to make sure that it would build and hold pressure which it did with no additional problems, Good Sam covered the service call and I paid Oliver for his 2 hours of labor and I continued the rest of my trip tap Randy's.

Later Bill Pape returned my call and as usual he had the correct part number Bendix # 289714 for the valve as he had replaced his check out http://www.unitedfleetparts.com/mm5/...ct_Code=289714 he seemed to busy earlier with his civic duties serving on jury duty and couldn't call me back right away. I plan on purchasing a new valve to have in my parts storage compartment.

I highly recommend Oliver he can be reached at 229-889-9578.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QUICK RELEASE VALVE REBUILDs.jpg
Views:	2540
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	18887  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
<...snip...>took a look under the rear end where he could hear air escaping<...snip...>
It's very good that you got it fixed so quickly, and that Good Sam service came through. I use them also.

John, the 'hear air escaping' part of your narrative...I noticed recently that when my coach is parked, in neutral, parking brake set, engine idling, there is a hissing sound coming from above the tag or drive axle, I can't tell which from the sound. I don't remember this hissing sound being evident before.

I wonder if my quick release valve is involved? Air pressure on tag and suspension stays constant even though there is this hissing sound. It's not like the periodic air venting that occurs when parked, this is constant...it's strange...

Sorry for the thread hijacking. Just thinking out loud.

Mike Shaw
98 LX
Northern Virginia

Old 11-02-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
It's very good that you got it fixed so quickly, and that Good Sam service came through. I use them also.

John, the 'hear air escaping' part of your narrative...I noticed recently that when my coach is parked, in neutral, parking brake set, engine idling, there is a hissing sound coming from above the tag or drive axle, I can't tell which from the sound. I don't remember this hissing sound being evident before.

I wonder if my quick release valve is involved? Air pressure on tag and suspension stays constant even though there is this hissing sound. It's not like the periodic air venting that occurs when parked, this is constant...it's strange...

We need to get some comments from PT owner for your question, I couldn't give you an experienced opinion other than my own experience already posted, which was a first for me with the quick release valve.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-02-2012
Administrator

Mike,

Your PT has a lot more possibilities for a rear leak than the FC, along with the engine running, it would be difficult to diagnose. You may need a pit or some really heavy duty jack stands to find this leak. Start by checking the air gages for a leak and perform the air brake leak down tests.
Old 11-02-2012

Good info. When I had the FC I didn't realize there was such a valve, and many other FC owners may be hearing about this for the first time

The other thing I was thinking about is whether I would want to be judged by a jury that included Pape......
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike View Post

Wow all I can say is that is some D**N good hearing! I'm lucky to hear the motor running let alone an air leak at the rear axle! I'm happy as a lark when I hear an air leak without any other outside noise going. I know I have some air leak issues and just need to break down and take it to a truck shop and have them fix them. That will be on my list in the spring.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 11-02-2012

A quick release valve only leaks when brakes are released. When brakes are set there is no air supplied to it. It is one of the few valves that when leaking, you repair or replace. Most of the other valves need troubleshot before removing.
Old 02-06-2013

Does anyone know if this part number is the for an '89 SP? I'm pretty sure my valve is doing the same thing when I put it away for the winter - low pressure that just couldn't build, hanging brakes, and the constant air leak sound. It's the first thing I'm looking into before I move it in May, and I might as well buy one to bring with.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 02-06-2013

Chris, also consider checking your Bendix AD-4 air dryer. The purge valve on the bottom of the dryer can be a source for leakage. Just thinking...plug into an external 'shop air' source if possible so you can hear the leak. With the 3280 running it's difficult to hear the air leak. The purge valve can be replaced, but on the SP you will likely need to remove the dryer. While the dryer is on the bench, rebuild the assembly.

Lots of rebuild parts for the AD-4 on E-Bay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+ad-4&_sacat=0
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 02-06-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Changed Dryer to AD-4
Old 02-06-2013

Dick,

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to check on that, too. The dryer should be gone through anyway, if it held moisture in it for the 7+ years it was in storage prior to our acquisition, it probably does need a very good cleaning and rebuild.

Chris

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition