Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-14-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Kubota/Powertech PTS MH-15BB uneven load rattle

On my '82FC35RB with a Kubota/Powertech PTS MH-15BB generator transplant, when I have the engine tank heater turned on it creates an uneven load on the generator and makes it rattle, should the voltage regulator take care of this type of load? Here is the way my breaker panel is labeled and I believe that the engine tank heater is on the front receptacle breaker, has anybody changed the breaker wiring around to compensate for this, or should the voltage regulator just be adjusted to compensate for this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ELECTRICAL BREAKER PANEL m.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	33578  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 01-14-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2015
Administrator

As always not a simple question. It is better to have the loads of leg 1 & 2 somewhat balanced, the tank heater is about 1200 /1500 watts, or about 10/12 amps, not enough to throw things off balance,.
More questions are to add up the current draw of each appliance, on each leg, and how you prefer too use the current draw items. The big draw items like block heater, A/C's, electric heaters, hot water, and an occasional microwave use. , If several of the big loads are in use on one leg any large current item could get the loads off balance., but the regulator should compensate for normal usage.
I would be looking for the rattle.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 01-14-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2015
Not so Junior anymore

The only way I can balance mind is run both Electric heaters the hot water in the engine heater. Then if I want to run the microwave I have to drop off the engine block heater run the microwave and when I'm done cooking during the block heater back on
It's sort of like doing the amp dance with the batteries except different
You can never count on things being wired the same. Or that my hot water heater draws the same correct as yours. That's why it's nice to have it meters on both legs separately and just play with it.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 01-14-2015

I would think the rattle is caused by crossing into a higher torque/load range on the engine.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-03-2019

Interesting thread that was started by Flynn and captures my own concerns. My PTS MH-15BB GEN begins rattling pretty noticeably when I turn on the air conditioners. It appears to be an imbalance. Gen runs real quiet and smooth until I turn on an air conditioner's. Then it rattles pretty loud. The Gen has had a new bearing. We recently pinpointed a noisy Alternator and a replacement did quiet it down when not under load. But turn on the Air and rattles.
Looking for advice on this, is this typical of Powertech Gens. Concerned that Im blowing it up!
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 08-03-2019

The nature of the single phase generator is that the electrical torque loading by the generator head cycles from zero to whatever and back 120 times a second. This creates a torsional vibration on the crankshaft, coupling, and rotor. The more load, the bigger the vibration.
Look at the coupling between the engine and rotor for any play. Look at generator head mountings also.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 08-04-2019

I have a PTS 12000 powertech generator and have gone through some issues with the uneven loading of 3 air conditioners running. I found out that the generator was wired for 120/240v operation. In this configuration, the generator cannot compensate the voltage for the 110v legs individually, so you end up with the side that is more loaded running at a lower voltage. The only way to compensate for this is to wire the generator to supply only 110v, which is usually possible since there are no 240v loads to supply. I did not notice an increase in the rattling noise that you are talking about though. I may have a totally different engine, I believe mine is a kubota v1505 engine. I am getting ready to check my valve clearances, since I do not know if they have been checked. May be worth checking the valve clearances and see if that is the source of the rattling? If nothing else they should be checked regularly as a part of maintenance anyways.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 08-04-2019

Yesterday, I spent some time cycling through different functions and trying to understand what was causing the GEN vibration. I am now convinced it is an overload/ imbalance that is being caused by the AC's.
I am now realizing that a number of things are not right and what made me realize there is a problem was the noise in the GEN. This happens irregularly when AC's are turned on. Watching the Leg 2 gauge, when the noise is happening the gauge is pegging at 35-50 AMPs. The AC is drawing major amps, overloading GEN and creating the imbalance rattle.
I also noticed that my Volt gauges are both reading 135v just up to the RED zone on GEN as well as shore power. Multiple things going on, I will need to spend some more time looking for root cause. Transfer switch is suspect. Looking at other threads around the voltage readings.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 08-04-2019
Forum owner

Make sure your electric heat is off,you may be cooling and heating at the same time.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-04-2019

Sounds like your HVAC units are starting to have an issue with the START Circuits which need to be replaced as they are not assisting the compressors in starting causing high start current loads.

Transfer switch will not cause a high voltage reading, so look at your shore line voltage source with the coach disconnected and record the reading. Then while disconnected start your generator and allow the transfer switch to come on and with no HVAC's running, see what your voltage is from various wall outlets and compare that to your dash gauges.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com