Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 01-31-2019

Default Best State To Purchase And Best State To Reg

We are planning on selling our house, buying a motorhome and going full-time. I have learned that probably the best state for listing as a home/registration etc is South Dakota. What about selection and good prices on used in the $100,000.00 price range? Florida? Arizona? Or would there be extra fees/taxes etc for being out of state? Buy in one state and register in another?
We are in CA and I know its probably the worst place for this. Does Oregon, Nevada or other close states closer to CA offer the benefits SD offers? I read where you can fly in get your driver license and forwardable (word?) mailbox overnight in SD so it may be worth big savings.
Health insurance wise we are both on Medicare.

Last edited by katttfishh; 01-31-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2019

If you haven't already found it, Randy has a site where he lists coaches for sale, most seem solidly vetted and with history. https://www.buybyebluebird.com/

Someone else will have to chime in on registration...I've always heard SD or TX, but I'm really new here. Good luck!

Instagram
Old 01-31-2019

I drool over the sales site all the time. Have to wait till the house sells.
Old 01-31-2019

If you google something like “best rv registration state”, you will get enough reading material for a month. Just be prepared - this topic is as politically charged as “what’s the best tire” or “what kind of batteries should I use”! You also have to look at the whole picture. SD, for example, has many advantages from a vehicle tax and registration perspective, but some people are reporting difficulties in getting the health insurance plan they want if they have a SD address (e.g., Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug plan offerings are driven by the ZIP of your legal domicile). Bottom line, it’s all a balancing act - you have to decide what factors are most most important TO YOU, not what someone on the web thinks.

One final thought, since you’re currently in CA, you need to be aware that your state takes an aggressive posture against people who register vehicles and create legal domicile in other states but still spend a lot of their time living in CA. This is becoming increasing true of other states that have high enough costs of registration / personal property taxes that residents are tempted to try alternatives. Again, one of the many factors YOU have to balance.

It would be nice if there were a simple answer, but to me this all part of the fun of writing the next chapter of your lives. Good luck with your transition, whatever you decide.
Old 01-31-2019

I did some research in this area and one of the things I found was that understanding what you need is really important so you can weigh the compromises. For instance, I was thinking of working remotely (not retired) and health care is very important to us (my wife has a chronic illness).

Originally SD, and TX would be good registration choices and good for healthcare, etc.. However, during the last two years since Obama leaving office the healthcare law changes have left only Florida as a state that has healthcare plans available that can be used in any state (e.g. in FL you can be covered in any state in SD and TX other than emergencies you would need to return to TX)... for us that was a big deal, but it all depends on your situation. What concerned me was what happened with the healthcare law change and the impact on the states. I didn't get that far into the research but it was very interesting to see how things have changed and getting current information that is relevant to what is important to you could take some time.

Some sites I found that were helpful:

https://www.escapees.com/

Really liked this site from a couple that is out living full time including the healthcare options

https://wheelingit.us/2017/02/16/the...ecifics-links/

Good luck with your quest. I am interested to hear how it all goes. Such an awesome opportunity.
Old 01-31-2019

I agree with Kevin, check the Escapees site. This is the link to the Domicile Page. I know that I looked at it, but since we still have the house we can't really change our domicile easily. If you don't own property it is pretty easy. The articles walk you through it. Escapees even has a program that helps you to move your domicile to one of their locations in FL, TX, or SD.

Kevin has a point about insurance, but there are solutions that work nationwide depending on your situation. Both FMCA and Escapees have RVer Healthcare plans (linked).
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-31-2019

Florida is decent, no state income tax and annual registration fees are reasonable ($47.50/yr for a Wanderlodge size/weight vehicle). Fees listed at <https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/>. No special driver's license requirement or endorsement to drive an RV of any size, including towing a trailer or other vehicle.
However, you will have to pay the state sales tax when you register your RV. This can get expensive; it's a percentage of the (current) sale price but is a one time fee.
Driver's license and voter registration can usually be done in one day; smaller counties will have fairly short wait times at the tag office.

Yes, the polar vortex got this far south; it was 31 degrees yesterday morning when I got in my car to go to work.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 01-31-2019

If you're a veteran with a rating, check out NV. Without the rating, expect $800+ a year for registration.

Back to wanna be status
Old 01-31-2019

We are both on Medicare I edited my post to show that. Thanks
Old 01-31-2019

That simplifies things a lot. I think the top 3 that I have seen for full timing are TX, SD, and FL. Personally I like TX the best because its pretty close to the middle of the country and has a year round climate. I was thinking more from the healthcare point of view (as mentioned above) if we needed to go back to our domicile state. However, I think its something to consider if you ever needed to go back to the home state it might be nice to have one that is easier to get to than FL and easier in winter than SD.