Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-29-2019

Pic in this thread shows location. Is in back of unit behind a grill---means you gotta open the tray and then climb under the bus to get to the back. Don't just replace the voltage regulator since it is very expensive and if it is not working properly due to other problems you will ruin a new and expensive voltage regulator. May not want to do so at this time since my recollection is there is not an adjustment on the voltage regulator. Would let it run as suggested (breakers off-main breaker in electrical box) for a few hours---make sure your gen fan is still running or you will overheat. I seem to recall that one of the manuals did recommend that you could decrease the run speed to drop voltage. How-???? but conventional wisdom is that it will only effect hertz. If you do turn the rpm's down would keep the voltage at 130v. AC's should handle that OK and hopefully not drop your hertz down under 50. Don't go off the voltimeters on bus. Use a multimeter.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ight=generator
Kansas, Il
Old 05-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiLights View Post
Hi all,

Hope somebody can offer a suggestion and some help.
Down in Florida looking at this '88 PT40 and the generator has the problem with the shutdown as discussed before it the other thread...I think the lever needs to be loosened up on the injection pump...but I have another problem.....it puts out 154V on both legs and I am afraid it will burn up the roof ACs on the trip back if I don't do something about it....way too high....

Is there an adjustment of the voltage regulator that I can dial the voltage down to 115-120 V ?

Suggestions please ?
BTW, the generator keeps running at 150V+ and not shut down due to overvoltage....

Thank you
What are you using to measure the voltage ?
Old 05-29-2019
Forum owner

Ohh,this is the unit that already may have a possible stuck rack?
it could stick in the wide open throttle and run away.
not good.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-29-2019

What frequency is the generator outputting?
Old 05-29-2019

Can you call me when you get ready to start that generator today? I might be able to tell if you have an over rpm situation. With it not shutting off and high voltage issue, I'm concerned you have a serious gumming issue. Forcing the barrels by adjusting the throttle rod could be expensive and the last I heard there were only a few left in the US through Yanmar. 870 715 963nine.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-29-2019

I will let it run and see what happens.
The concern I have is that this is not a new behavior..... 2 years ago during a longer trip with things running properly (it seems), the overvoltage took out a new convection microwave and a washer dryer.
So....I am.not sure this overvoltage is a result of things being gummed up but rather something that was not addressed before and continued to be an issue without the owner's knowledge.
I started the generator and when I saw the voltage on the front gauges I took out the multimeter and checked at all outlets throughout the bus....153 to 155V everywhere. I shot it down until I have a plan of attack.....

I am removing the fuel filter this morning, fill.it with Seafoam and cut the breakers off. Let it run for a while making sure the fan is on and it does not overheat. Will watch it.
I'll also get underneath first and see if there is an adjustment screw on the regulator just to formulate a plan for later.

I'll report back.
I have an appointment to put tires on it today as well .
Full day....
Tomorrow, engine and generator oil and fuel filters service.

BTW does anybody have a Napa equivalent number for the air filter on the 8v92 silver in the 1988 vintage ?
Thank you
Old 05-29-2019

I will call you Rick when we get ready to do this. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiLights View Post
I will let it run and see what happens.
The concern I have is that this is not a new behavior..... 2 years ago during a longer trip with things running properly (it seems), the overvoltage took out a new convection microwave and a washer dryer.
So....I am.not sure this overvoltage is a result of things being gummed up but rather something that was not addressed before and continued to be an issue without the owner's knowledge.
I started the generator and when I saw the voltage on the front gauges I took out the multimeter and checked at all outlets throughout the bus....153 to 155V everywhere. I shot it down until I have a plan of attack.....

I am removing the fuel filter this morning, fill.it with Seafoam and cut the breakers off. Let it run for a while making sure the fan is on and it does not overheat. Will watch it.
I'll also get underneath first and see if there is an adjustment screw on the regulator just to formulate a plan for later.

I'll report back.
I have an appointment to put tires on it today as well .
Full day....
Tomorrow, engine and generator oil and fuel filters service.

BTW does anybody have a Napa equivalent number for the air filter on the 8v92 silver in the 1988 vintage ?
Thank you
When you get under there you will find there is a cover over the rear of the genny that will have to be removed. 4 1/4 bolts hold it in place.

Insure that coach is blocked and properly supported. The air bags or HWH jacks are not proper support. Dunnage, jack stands or ramps or a large dip in the yard or a pit are what you need. Don't get crushed looking for an adjustment that may not need to be made.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-29-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
What frequency is the generator outputting?
Exactly! If you don't have a meter that measures frequency then go out and buy one. If you own a coach you should have one in your tool supply anyway.

Frequency is determined by engine speed, voltage by the regulator. However, if the speed is way off the regulator may not function correctly.

New regulators are hundreds (400 or $500 of dollars), and unless you can determine the root cause of your failure you will smoke the first one. After spending over $2500 over several years and having failures at the most inopportune times, I finally just got a new head from Central Georgia Generator ($1200) and fixed it for good. Yea, it was a job installing it and fabricating mounts, but a new regulator is more like $100 or less if it ever fails.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-29-2019

What blows out microwaves and fuses?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656