Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM

Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM Post your questions or comments here about your favorite campground, RV park, rest area, Walmart or Cracker Barrel parking lot where you like to get your shut eye, or WHERE TO STAY AWAY FROM.

Site Search:

Old 07-15-2019

Default Finding good locations to stay

Our yearly trip to Rollag, Minnesota will be here soon. Normally we use i29 to get there. Last year was the first trip in the bird and I was done by souix city, I would normally drive straight through. We stayed at the Koa there just off the highway. I figure this year I’ll make it that far, maybe all the way, but it would be nice to stay somewhere else not so main stream. Anyone have any ideas? We could use i35 to. Any tips on how to find a camp ground in unfamiliar territory?
Old 07-15-2019

The RV Parky app is pretty handy. Otherwise I look for state park campgrounds as they are typically inexpensive and quick/easy during the week. I don't know about the week leading up to Labor Day, though. A few that we've stayed in Iowa were $16/night with 50a power and they all have walk-in spots that they never take reservations for. I'd love to go to Rollag some day. Maybe I can convince my old man to go.
Old 07-15-2019

I've recently started using www.freecampsites.net Its a free website, you enter the city near where you're looking to stay, it brings up all the places you can boondock for free. Sometimes it's an abandoned parking lot, a trucker's parking lot, BLM land, anywhere free & legal. It comes up as a map with green icons wherever a free site is (plus red ones for cheap pay sites). Click an icon, it gives all the info; how to get there, usually rig length that can be accomodated, plus any special info, like if it's difficult to get into, dirt roads, etc. In the last week and a half, I've used it exclusively, only used a pay site one night because they had a hot tub!

One caveat; don't put in just a state name. For some reason, it goes bonkers, keeps refreshing with information & it becomes unuseable.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 07-15-2019

I like the RV Parky app but they miss some really obvious ones, end of the day, good to do google "RV Parks near me" when you're close or pretending to be...

Currently at the Big Texan RV Ranch in Amarillo. Free ride to the steakhouse, good dinner for the first time in 5 days.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 07-16-2019

Great ideas. Also trip advisor seems like it could help. I think we have been to Rollag the last 15 years roughly. It is an amazing place if you like old engines and steam stuff.
Old 07-16-2019

I have yet to stay in a bad spot at the Corp of Engineer....COA...parks. Around 25 bucks a night...cheaper with the geezer pass! Usually not right off the freeways but always on some body of water. recreation.gov
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 08-08-2019

LeRoy - I'm taking my dad up to Rollag in a couple weeks. Do you think if we arrived on Thursday evening before the show that we'd get a spot for the bus in the camping section? It's an 8-10 hour drive up there and we are probably going to do it all in 1 day, or maybe break it up, I don't know yet. I'd hate to get all the way up there and have nowhere to park.
Old 08-08-2019

They have at least 60 acres of parking. Buses usually go in a particular spot so they can get out easier. There will be a good amount there by Thursday but you will find a spot. Earlier the better for sure. Friday is when it is bumper to bumper arrivals. Fill up with water before you get there. We should get there on the Sunday before that. You might want to go online and do preregistration.
Old 08-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
They have at least 60 acres of parking. Buses usually go in a particular spot so they can get out easier. There will be a good amount there by Thursday but you will find a spot. Earlier the better for sure. Friday is when it is bumper to bumper arrivals. Fill up with water before you get there. We should get there on the Sunday before that. You might want to go online and do preregistration.
It says camping spots are first come first serve I thought? I can't get there a week early. I could get there Thursday sometime, and I might have to make the whole drive in one shot. I can hold 145 gallons of fresh so I'm good for a few days Boondocking is my speciality!
Old 08-08-2019

Your right I forgot the early registration is for workers only and it is all first come first serve. We just get there so early we get our pick. Sounds cool. You should drive past us as your coming into the camping area, last year there were two bluebirds a provost and other large ones all in a row. You should be able to pull in there if there is any room left. In the picture below the blue shows the route you’ll likely take to enter the park. It’s how we go in anyway. It’s tight, but you’ll make it. The yellow area is where we park with the noses facing the road. If you can’t find us, i’ll be in the miniature building most of the time, likely at the first display on the right as you come in the hangar door. If you have any questions feel free to get a hold of me. As the camping fills up they open more and more pastures to the north as needed.