Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Perkins/ Kohler is it time?

The old perkins quit after running for about an hour charging batteries today, and its dark out and I fiddled with it for a bit and then came in and read generator threads for an hour and a half. I've owned this old bus for a bit more than three years, been through most of the systems one by one, replaced flooring, plumbing, suspension parts etc, I love the bus and spend a good part of winter mostly boon docking. I have 350W of solar on the roof and a gang of house batteries so the generator is mostly used to charge the batteries, and supply power to heat water and run the convection oven, rarely it runs an A/C unit, generally it runs for an hour or a bit more a day. Like many issues with the rig I suspect that I can have it working with some fairly simple repairs but the question is maybe its time for replacement, the thing is big heavy noisey and it seems that maybe its the weak link in the system now, I don't think I need 12Kv of juice and there are lots of smaller units out there that might do the trick more reliably and more quietly. it has only 1200 hrs on it which for a perkins is not much but it still begs the question, I have read the threads with some very complicated solutions and I wonder does it need to be such a complicated process?

As always I look forward to very good input from folks with more experience..
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

I have an Onan diesel genny out of an 89 SP that runs and makes power nicely.
Its in Ga.
I also have a 2 cyl kubota 5000w power plant that was used on a semi for cab heat and air,what do they call those units?
And i even have a one cylinder diesel engine with a delco alternator connected to the engine with a lovejoy connector,a factory generator from a flashing highway sign.
its a Lambordina or some such engine,it runs and makes power,but you could hear it 5 miles away!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

The more I think about it the more I don't know, I know 12Kv is a lot of juice, what I am less sure of is what is the minimum I can get away with, not only in terms of KV but also amperage, do I need 50Amps or can I get away with 30Amps? Then I wonder do I need a diesel or could I use an LP generator, there seems to be lots of small ones out there cheap.

I suspect that the least I could get away with is about 6.5KV as it can most likely charge batteries and power one other large draw such as AC/ convection oven/ water heater. Am I wrong? I am going to go and look at the specs of each of the draws on elec that I am considering to help with the decision. I think only the Onan would fit the bill or what you have Randy, and I suspect it would be the most straight forward project.
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

I think the Onan is 10kw,same unit the SP and the 87-89 FC used.
I also have a Powertech out of a M380,in the quiet box.
But i agree with you,the Onan is the plan.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

If you buy an LP gas genny,you will hate yourself later.
They suck fuel like mad,and its hard to go buy a bucket of propane.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

That was my first question about those, and the smaller genny will run longer only making that issue worse
Old 1 Week Ago

Randy, I believe the genny you have is the same as our 89 SP which is an 8kw Onan DKD with the Kubota D950 engine. Ours powers everything we need very nicely, and parts are still available. One thing that I really like about it is the brushless generator head. If Bills generator is in fact dead it would be a good replacement in my book.

Last edited by Kb1jkn; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb1jkn View Post
Randy, I believe the genny you have is the same as our 89 SP which is an 8kw Onan DKD with the Kubota D950 engine. Ours powers everything we need very nicely, and parts are still available. One thing that I really like about it is the brushless generator head. If Bills generator is in fact dead it would be a good replacement in my book.
You are correct,thats what i have.
I had brain fade this morning!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Well I am running near the end of my rope. I am in the Enterprise-Osteen area GA is a long way away. I think that unless I figure the current problem a new genny is not necessarily going to fix it? How big a job is re and re Randy?
Old 1 Week Ago

It seems like all of these old Kohlers have killed the slip rings around 1,000 hours. You should at least check on that, they are inexpensive parts. A whole new gen head is going to cost $1200-1500ish from a place like Central Georgia Generator, and you will have to tweak a few things on your tray to mount it, but I don't think it's anything extreme? If you replace the whole thing, engine and all, that's not a bolt-in by any stretch. Basically redoing the mounts I would think.

12kw runs 3 a/c units at the same time without issue. And a bunch of other stuff, it's more than enough to run everything at once, basically. 6.5kw isn't going to do that.