Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 01-10-2010

If there were no problems, what the **** wouldlja talk about??? FUEL CONSUMPTION???
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
If there were no problems, what the **** wouldlja talk about??? FUEL CONSUMPTION???
Mike, Reminds me of my wife's Brother in Law. His crowd builds street rods. They go to Rod Runs and Car Shows then talk about how good their fuel mileage is. If I were worried about fuel mileage I would ride my wife's Honda Metro.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-10-2010

That's so true. Milwaukee is a street rod town, them dude's focus on plug wire looms and detail's like that. Trying to convince them to go with an OD trans so their ride don't overheat on the frw or have to stop at every exit for fuel on a long run can be daunting. Spent all the money the wife will let them on bling.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-10-2010

Fixin' and maintaining Birds is a large part of what this Forum is about. Collectively, we likely have the largest concentration of knowledge in the USA on how to maintain and repair a Blue Bird coach.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 01-10-2010

Yeah, but still nobody knows where those 90 degree chrome exhaust elbows come from for an S-60. That should be a simple one! I'll bet they scrapped a bunch of them at Ft. Valley. Frustrating.
Old 01-10-2010
davidmbrady

Ron,

Some place like this should have it. Give them your dimensions, maybe they can match it:

http://www.empirechromeshop.com/c-506-exhaust.aspx
Old 01-10-2010
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Yeah, but still nobody knows where those 90 degree chrome exhaust elbows come from for an S-60. That should be a simple one! I'll bet they scrapped a bunch of them at Ft. Valley. Frustrating.
I presume you're talking about the end-piece at the top of the exhaust stack. The OEM unit stands open to the rain and has hardly enough bend to keep rainwater out of the exhaust. Newer 'birds have a true 90 degree bend and about 10-12" of length, so only the most violent storm, with the wind blowing from the right direction will get water into the exhaust system.

After paying $900 for a new muffler, I wanted to keep excess rainwater out of it the the extent possible. A search of chrome shops and heavy duty diesel exhaust component suppliers I found -- there are plenty of choices in 5" diameter pipes. There are even some 6" pipes (at the connection end) that transform to 5" at the exit (but those would cause back pressure, right?). There were no "stock" pipes at 6" all the way through, unless I wanted to pay through the nose for a custom made piece. (Not something I wanted to do after the considerable expense of the muffler.)

As a "temporary" solution, I was able to get a galvanized end-piece from CCW that doesn't have as much horizontal extension as I'd have liked -- but it was 6" diameter all the way and it afforded slightly better rain protection than the OEM style end (which was now tissue-paper thin and not reusable).

Subsequent to my exhaust system repair, Stephen Birtles started offering a stainless exhaust system replacement for 95, 96, and early 97 S-60 powered 'birds. I believe it's a straight through system without muffler. I think that would have been my choice, had it been available to me when I discovered my burned-out muffler. See
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...exhaust+system

I note that in the referenced thread that the exhaust system is 5" to the muffler, so it might not have been the problem I thought it might be for the tail-piece after the muffler. So, you are likely to find the 6" to 5" 90 degree bend pipes available from a variety of vendors -- and you'll have to consider if that is "a problem" or not and choose accordingly.

In the meantime, a bucket over the exhaust tip while it's stored, will keep the rain out.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-10-2010

Default New MoHos

I haven't seen any brand of new MH's (I'm sure including BBs as well, although I have never owned a new one) that didn't have a multitude of problems. I think its a given that MH manufacturers (probably BB included) have always used their customers as the quality control department. The difference it that the repairs are covered on the new ones under warranty so people don't mind as much. (If they are still in business), If they have never had a new one they still get irritated about the problems. if they've had new ones before, they should have known.

I couldn't afford a new one but figured the price of a "previously owned one" was so much lower (like anything that depreciates a lot) that I could afford to do any needed repairs I found that I couldn't do myself. And that's pretty much the way it's worked out. I have had a couple of doozy's but still feel I have done OK.

I too bought my Bluebird (I know, I know, BMC ) for strength and safety. Still happy with it and it will probably end up being the first and last I ever own unless I hit the Lottery. (Although Jacque says that won't happen unless I eventually break down and buy a ticket).

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 01-10-2010
Forum owner

i bought 4 of the 6'' chrome turnouts at the BB auction,i think i may have one left for sale,i have 3 sold and will deliver them at Q.
I have 16 5'' chrome turnouts,they have a name on them as to who made them,i bet the 6'' ones came from the same place,that place is in the atlanta area.
When i unload all this stuff at Q I will get the name off the 5'' pipes and post it here.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-10-2010
davidmbrady

Randy,

How much for the 6 inch?