Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 10-09-2013

Default OK, what's the secret handshake?

I want to replace the Kenwood stereo head unit in my coach. Took out the four screws holding the head unit and ignition switch in the dash. I will be darned if I see what has to be done to remove the head unit from the dash . Can someone point me in the right direction...I swear that I will not share this information with any but WOG members .

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-09-2013

Neal, if you Google the model of Kenwood you can look at an owners manual. Many late model stereos have small holes on either side of the faceplate that a "key" is inserted in to unlock the head from the chassis. A key can be fashioned from small diameter welding rod or some kind of stiff metal rod. Did you try calling a local stereo installation business? Hope this helps.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 10-09-2013
Former Bird Owner

Uh, when I replaced my Kenwood radio, the radio and ignition key "board" pulled right out once the 4 screws were removed.

It's now been several years, but I recall, however, that I might have had to reach up from the underside (through the knee space above the accelerator pedal) to fiddle with some wires that 'hung up' the Kenwood and/or the ignition key.

Once the assembly was pulled forward, the radio was held in a metal bracket that had some press-in clamps that held the radio, and to release it, I had to use a screwdriver to lift the clamp to allow the radio to slide out of the bracket -- this was done once the radio and bracket had been freed from the dashboard.

My coach apparently had some sort of equalizer mounted above the radio (at one time). This left a 1" hole above the radio. (I looked for a replacement radio that was three inches tall... but they were either 2 inches or 4 inches -- so that didn't work out.)

I replaced my radio with one that had a CD player (that also read mp3 files) and an iPod connector -- that I threaded down to the compartment with the door. I wrapped my iPod with some double-sided Velcro -- and it conveniently mounted on the inside of the door with a patch of stick-on Velcro there.

I selected a more current Kenwood model -- and it worked perfectly with the existing wires (with plugs*) and was compatible with the Kenwood amplifier that was buried deep behind all the stuff under the dashboard area.

* I did spend some time matching the actual wires to the schematic diagram to ensure that there were no changes made to the arrangement. YMMV.

To deal with the empty hole above the old (and new) radio unit, I found a scrap of one inch aluminum angle stock that I trimmed to fit the width of the hole. I painted it flat black and mounted it to the radio bracket. It perfectly filled the empty hole (that had bothered me from the first day I saw the coach).

Click image for larger version

Name:	95lxi4230.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	25157

Name:	95lxi4231.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	25158

Name:	95lxi4225.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	25156

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-10-2013
full timer

Neal,
When I replaced my equalizer and the original Kenwood I replaced it with another Kenwood. The new Kenwood came with two "release keys" which were to have been inserted on either side of my radio to release some paws which were suppose to hold the radio in place. Actually the hole BB cut for my radio was just slightly wider than it was suppose to be so I didn't need to use the key to remove my old one. Sorry, I didn't save the keys. One thought: The old Kenwood has a plug that connects almost everything electrical. Boy it sure made installing the new Kenwood radio easy.

The key that released the radio was a T shaped piece of sheet metal the bottom of the T was about 1/2" wide then had a step increasing the width to about 5/8" that when pushed in released the paws.

Happy trails,

Eric, currently just outside the Albuquerque Balloon Fest
full timing in my bird since 6/04

Last edited by cire; 10-10-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
Neal,
When I replaced my equalizer and the original Kenwood I replaced it with another Kenwood. The new Kenwood came with two "release keys" which were to have been inserted on either side of my radio to release some paws which were suppose to hold the radio in place. Actually the hole BB cut for my radio was just slightly wider than it was suppose to be so I didn't need to use the key to remove my old one. Sorry, I didn't save the keys. One thought: The old Kenwood has a plug that connects almost everything electrical. Boy it sure made installing the new Kenwood radio easy.

The key that released the radio was a T shaped piece of sheet metal the bottom of the T was about 1/2" wide then had a step increasing the width to about 5/8" that when pushed in released the paws.

Happy trails,

Eric, currently just outside the Albuquerque Balloon Fest
Wow, the Balloon Fiesta!! I have been there a couple of times and love it. My deceased wife has family out there and I have kept in contact. I have been to see Larry and Martha on a number of occasions and can't wait to go back. I love that part of the country.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 05-14-2015
Mays Landing NJ

Default Also replacing Kenwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
Uh, when I replaced my Kenwood radio, the radio and ignition key "board" pulled right out once the 4 screws were removed.

It's now been several years, but I recall, however, that I might have had to reach up from the underside (through the knee space above the accelerator pedal) to fiddle with some wires that 'hung up' the Kenwood and/or the ignition key.

Once the assembly was pulled forward, the radio was held in a metal bracket that had some press-in clamps that held the radio, and to release it, I had to use a screwdriver to lift the clamp to allow the radio to slide out of the bracket -- this was done once the radio and bracket had been freed from the dashboard.

My coach apparently had some sort of equalizer mounted above the radio (at one time). This left a 1" hole above the radio. (I looked for a replacement radio that was three inches tall... but they were either 2 inches or 4 inches -- so that didn't work out.)

I replaced my radio with one that had a CD player (that also read mp3 files) and an iPod connector -- that I threaded down to the compartment with the door. I wrapped my iPod with some double-sided Velcro -- and it conveniently mounted on the inside of the door with a patch of stick-on Velcro there.

I selected a more current Kenwood model -- and it worked perfectly with the existing wires (with plugs*) and was compatible with the Kenwood amplifier that was buried deep behind all the stuff under the dashboard area.

* I did spend some time matching the actual wires to the schematic diagram to ensure that there were no changes made to the arrangement. YMMV.

To deal with the empty hole above the old (and new) radio unit, I found a scrap of one inch aluminum angle stock that I trimmed to fit the width of the hole. I painted it flat black and mounted it to the radio bracket. It perfectly filled the empty hole (that had bothered me from the first day I saw the coach).

Attachment 25157

Attachment 25158

Attachment 25156
Was it plug and play or did you have to redo/trace wiring... Soon to be replacing mine on a 98 42 ft WB..

rodmanb294@comcast.net

1996 WB 42 ft Body #115788
1973 MCI-7 BUS Conversion
Old 05-14-2015

I put a newer Kenwood in last summer. No screws, I had the original key I put down both sides and removed old, unplugged the antennae and connector. Re-plugged into new and used the same mounting and it slid right in.

Only thing I do not like is it has the "effect" unit above the stereo but I try to put all its settings to zero.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog