Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-21-2011
Black Sheep Division

Arrow Still working on the 'Ole '82

Just in case anyone cares I am still working on the '82 PT40. I pretty much got the electrical issues solved. Most of it was maintenance related. Still a few gremlins but I'm whacking them one by one.

I got the generator bay insulated in Auralex today. I sure hope that cuts down on the noise.

I haven't gotten the genny fixed yet so it is pretty quiet right now...

I insulated both of the front swing out panels with Armorflex to keep the cold off my tootsies. It made a lot of difference.

I have removed the overhead cabinets above the dinette and the seat next to the refrigerator in preparation for the install of the Norcold 1200 refrigerator. I know most here don't care for that box but I have had nothing but good service from both of mine. I am going to have to remove the galley chassis heater so there is room for the wider refrigerator.

I will have to say I am a little disappointed in the way BlueBird did not allow for access to maintain/repair some of the systems. The heater in question has two rubber hoses disappearing into the floor. I see no access either inside or outside to replace them. It's a shame such a well made piece of equipment lacks basic maintenance access.

I checked the resistance through the relief valve for the hydraulic fan motor & it is infinite. Either the coil on the valve is bad or the wire is broken somewhere. No access to that either.

I am hoping to have the 'Bird ready for a test trip in late March.

I guess I better keep my nose to the grindstone to make that happen.

TOM
Old 02-21-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Just in case anyone cares I am still working on the '82 PT40. I pretty much got the electrical issues solved. Most of it was maintenance related. Still a few gremlins but I'm whacking them one by one.

I got the generator bay insulated in Auralex today. I sure hope that cuts down on the noise.

I haven't gotten the genny fixed yet so it is pretty quiet right now...

I insulated both of the front swing out panels with Armorflex to keep the cold off my tootsies. It made a lot of difference.

I have removed the overhead cabinets above the dinette and the seat next to the refrigerator in preparation for the install of the Norcold 1200 refrigerator. I know most here don't care for that box but I have had nothing but good service from both of mine. I am going to have to remove the galley chassis heater so there is room for the wider refrigerator.

I will have to say I am a little disappointed in the way BlueBird did not allow for access to maintain/repair some of the systems. The heater in question has two rubber hoses disappearing into the floor. I see no access either inside or outside to replace them. It's a shame such a well made piece of equipment lacks basic maintenance access.

I checked the resistance through the relief valve for the hydraulic fan motor & it is infinite. Either the coil on the valve is bad or the wire is broken somewhere. No access to that either.

I am hoping to have the 'Bird ready for a test trip in late March.

I guess I better keep my nose to the grindstone to make that happen.

TOM
Tom,
Now thats an understatement!! Keep up the good work and snap some photo's...pretty please!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-22-2011
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
Tom,
Now thats an understatement!! Keep up the good work and snap some photo's...pretty please!
I know everyone likes pictures..... I like 'em too. I'm just worthless with a camera. Just about every pic is out of focus, sideways, too dark or I can't even figure out what the heck it was in that picture anyhow!!

I may try again but I ain't makin' no promises.

TOM
Old 02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Just in case anyone cares I am still working on the '82 PT40. I pretty much got the electrical issues solved. Most of it was maintenance related. Still a few gremlins but I'm whacking them one by one.TOM
I care Tom! I am encouraged with your stick-to-it-tive-ness!
Didn't you say the genny wires where cut off?
If you isolate the wires you can start it at the tray itself. (I think)

When I was finishing a 2500 sqft shell I found that I could only work well when I did it in sections. Each finished room was a reward in itself.

You will have a really neat bird when you are finished.

I have bitten off more than I could chew more than once in my life and it has always been a (eventually) fulfilling and a character building experience.

Keep us posted!