Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-16-2009

Default El Panel's

Having worked through most of my projects these El panels have come up close to or at the top of my to do list. None of mine work other then every once in a while the upper left panel will blink on momentarily. I'd like to get them working but haven't a clue as to what is required. From reading the posts on the subject it is apparent that inverter replacements are in order. What other variables are involved? Is there a resident expert on the subject who is willing to coach me?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-16-2009

John, I am not the expert, Birtles is. However, if you have one blinking on and off it is likely a loose connection or rheostat corrosion. If it comes on the inverter is working. On the back of the panels you can see the connections, identified by silicone type connections. My upper panel was not working and it was a broken solder joint at the rheostat. If they are totally dead with all connections good it is probably the inverter. When I was trying to locate my inverters I looked for blue cubes. Mine turned out to be brown.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 03-16-2009

John: I got the EL panels working by cleaning the rheostats...used the spray tuner/cleaner available at Radio Shack or any electronics shop. Just sprayed the external 'wiper thingy' on the rheostat and cycled through the full range several times and checked for operation prior to closing the panel. I found the dash panel easier to deal with by first removing the steering wheel. While inside the dash I changed most of the instrument bulbs and checked the security of electrical connections and tidyied up a bit.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-16-2009

Though not an expert either, the dash panels have become a matter of personal crusade for me. None of the EL worked and about half the instrumentation lights were out. Dick and Leroy are spot on with their suggestions. It appears that the brown inverter that Leroy mentioned may be exclusive to some 1990 models though mine had the blue cubes through out. They appeared to have been replaced in '96 judging by the mfg. code. The over head panel had one inverter that was near a load center located in the left overhead. I replaced this one with a Birtles supplied unit and it works very well. I did have some flickering until I cleaned the rheostat. On the 90 SP-36 I think it has a unique arrangement with a series of 5 inverters (blue) for the lower panels. I have replaced with a single Birtles unit and have most of the lower panels working to some degree. The main panels work pretty good but some of the smaller sections are weak but they all appear to be trying to work. I have acquired a suppily of the blue cubes and plan to swap them out in the OEM configuration this weekend to see if improves the performance of the lower dash panels. I'll let everyone know how it plays out. Just as a foot note, when replacing intrumentation lamps I noticed that American Made brands were usually 14V and the ones made in China were 12V. This suggested that perhaps the American made brands were a bit more durable.
Old 03-16-2009

Do you have a supplier for the blue cubes??
Westchester Sandblast
Old 03-16-2009

I had a production run of the Blue Cube inverters done by ERG. Their lead time is generally 6 to 8 weeks and have an order minimum of $100 + freight. I ordered and have in my posession several extra factory fresh units and would be glad to share. Wanderlodge was selling them for about $38 as I recall. I could do them for $27 ea or 4 for $100 + shipping.
Old 03-16-2009

I'll take a couple of them off your hands.

Might as well buy some spare parts while I can...

Thanks!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan
Old 03-23-2009
RV Appraiser

Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the lower dash panel on the 88FC35, my EL dash panel lights are out. When I lifted the dash panel off there were 2 loose wires with female connectors hanging in there but I could not determine where they go. My rheostat for the insturment guages work but there are no dash panal lights, my uppers work fine. The lowers would work but when I hit a bump they would go out until the next bump in the road came along. I did not test the rheostat for the EL panel yet, I need to find my meter.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-07-2009

Default EL Dash working!!

I'd like to thank Frank for getting this thread going. My 85PT never had the glowing dash until last weekend at Maxton. With the help of Bill Garamella, Thom Sorrentino and new inverters supplied by J. Virden, we found both of the blue cube inverters behind the forward section of my lower dash and replaced them. The upper dash inverter cube is easier to find and get to. Once I got home, I tested my old ones and they were not working. The upper dash inverter was also bad, so I replaced it and all work beautifully now!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-07-2009

Default upper level

how much of your upper level dash light up over by the elect current side pass side mine only goes to the alteminater