Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2009
Gardner

Default Another ground issue

It's always the ground conection, isn't it?

I had three problems I wanted to fix today. The first was the speakers for the digitel in the dining area and by the driver. So I spent much time looking at what seemd like a simple diagram, and then trying to figure out how that was translated into a rats nest of wires in the Bird. After some time pulling on wires to find the other end, I discovered a switch inside the space behind the dinette speaker. It was just laying there. I fliped it and the speaker came to life.

I finally concluded that the driver area speaker must never have worked, there was no ground connecton. After looking at the maze by the dinette speaker it became apparent that I needed to connect the ground to another ground lead. Sound came out at last.

The second problem was when I turned on the floor night lights, two would come on and the one in the dinette area would turn off. When I turned the lights off, the one in the dinette turned on. I supposed someone messed up the wiring and decided to fix it later.

The third problem was the fan on the dinette chassis heater wouldn't work. I measured for voltage at the switch and there was .5 volts between the ground screw on the heater case and the power lead to the switch. I put the metal encased trouble light down on the heater core and the fan started running. That is also when I discovered the floor light was grounded to the frame of the heater. So the grounded case of the trouble light completed the circuit.

I looked everywhere for the original ground connection and found nothing. I ran a new wire to a frame ground and now not only does the heater motor run, the floor light works correctly as well.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-14-2009

Just like you planned! Those grounds are frustrating.