Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2016

Default Aux Battery switch on pegs Coach battery meter.

Troubleshooting in progress, but I figured I'd toss the issue out to the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem.

I run shore power through a hughes autoformer RV220-50. Aux battery switch is normally in the open/center position. Replaced 4 of 4 coach batteries with interstates in October. Also installed an overbilt lift in august and since then have had to use the aux battery switch to start coach.

Returned to coach (AC running as it was 80 freaking degrees today) after being away for 8 hours today and it was cold dark and quiet... no 110 no 12V. Hughes unit showed 1 of 2 red lights instead of 1 yellow which indicates shore power boost. Shore power polarity showed reverse lights.

Secured shore power at the pedestal, started generator and got 110V but no 12V. RC7 inverter controls were dark. Duotherm comfort control would not power on. Checked coach batteries at 12.3 volts and Chassis batteries at 12.4 v.

Turned aux batt switch to On and got 12V. Everything powered back on.

Plugged coach into pedestal directly and showed normal polarity... 110V. Secured generator. Everything still working fine. Coach and house batteries show 14v on the dash gages.

Secured aux battery switch back to center and coach battery voltage jumped quickly to 15-16-17-peg the meter then back down repeating the cycle. Coach lights brightened in response.

Turned aux batt switch back on and both settled out to 14V.

Inverter controllers indicated they were charging although there were different reading... one showed a bulk charge while the other an absorption charge.
I believe each inverter controls 2 house batteries. However, chassis batteries were reading 14.3 volts while house batteries remained at 12.3.

Cycled the battery disconnect switch and it seemed to have an effect on the chassis batteries (dropped to 12.5V) but not the house batteries. One of the lines going into the switch is burned and melted. I think it's been that way for a while. On the list of things to do.

I secured shore power and the coach maintained 12V and 110V BUT... chassis batteries were discharging while house batteries stayed at 12.3 V.

Shifted back to shore power, broke out the schematics and figured I'd stop to post.

Also, turning the aux batt switch off (back to center) now pegs the coach battery meter. Engine batt gage remains at 14VDC.

Sorry for long post.

My thoughts
1. A short somewhere is putting banks in series?
2. House batteries are not charging or discharging and haven't been since installation??? (post installation optest didn't show much difference in longevity on battery. Chalked it up to switching from Lifelines but never checked discharge voltage at the battery. Only used the RC7.)

I'm headed back to the schematic, but this is way out of my comfort zone and I'm hoping for some insight. Cold front just came through so it's rainly and nasty. Plan to troubleshoot some more tomorrow.
Heading west in a couple of weeks but there has been no end to the issues that are coming up. Better now than 6 weeks from now...<G>

Thanks,
Deet
trideet@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2016

So i just checked the coach meter again and it reads 15V with aux battery on. Engine still reads 14V.

If I turn the switch off or to momentary, it jumps up to 17 then settles slowly back to 15 then kind of fluctuates slightly.

I think its time to start disconnecting some things!
trideet@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2016

Disconnected shore power. When aux batt switch is turned off, coach goes dark.

There's gotta be a relay that connects house batteries to the system.
trideet@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2016

Believe its a bad battery disconnect switch. Secured shore power, turned aux switch to off. Went cold dark and quiet. 12V to the lug that feeds into the switch and nothing coming out regardless of switch position.

Looks like Blue sea is the switch of choice.
trideet@gmail.com
Old 12-19-2016

Deet are you sure charging relay is working properly. Charging relay connection is linking house and coach battery together. Just asking trouble started after battery change just recheck all connections, very easy to miss place a wire. Good luck.
Riveted
Old 12-19-2016

I think it is Paul, thanks.

This morning everything is back to "normal". 14V on both meters. Have Blue Sea battery disconnect switch on order and a spare aux battery relay on hand if needed. My company has the proper crimpers and cutters so I am sourcing the cable and lugs today.

Great way to learn about Bluebird systems is to have something go wrong. Ive been learning a lot lately... <G>.
trideet@gmail.com