Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-28-2008

Good Idea!

Im not sure ~7v is enough to pick that relay though! Probably would but ??

I want to know where the On/Off sw is getting power to see if there is a bad connection and find out why there is only 10v there...

/Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 06-08-2008

Smile Update...Bendix CC

I have finished work on and tested the Bendix cruise control.

My root problems were apparantly a bad air valve intake solinoid and two wires that had the insulation abraded off where they rested against the housing. Once the wires were covered and the other part replaced I had "on the road" working CC. One minor glitch, my "in the driveway fast idle" does not work reliably...sometimes works fine, sometimes nearly redlines the tac. I do not use this aspect much, so it is not a problem for me at this point.

All I care about is in two weeks driving to Key Largo and not having to press that pedal all the time to get there.

MUCHO THANKS to Ryan Saari of Clearwater for the parts and the information on where to find the CC unit in the first place!!!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 06-15-2008

Update on the cruise control...

I found a fuse and relay in the compartment just forward of the batteries, that supplied the +12 to the Bendix cruise module. Apparently using a relay was done at the factory in '87 when mine was built.
The fuse holder and fuse was so corroded that under load the voltage dropped to '0'. A new fuse and cleaning out the holder fixed the voltage problem AND the cruise control. Works now :}

Got a question on operation though...

When I turn on the trans retarder to slow going down hills when the cruise starts up it dosnt turn off the retarder. The retarder will come on when ever I take my foot off the throttle and go off when I push on the throttle.
Is that the way it should work?

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 09-28-2008
Birdless

Many of us FC owners with the Bendix cruise control could use a new throttle cable to replace the old one which may be becoming frayed or just plain worn out from age, heat, kinks etc. This morning I located a link to Orscheln Products.

http://www.orschelnproducts.com/products-1

Orscheln has 75 distributor in the US and may be a potential source for throttle cable replacement on the FC's? Just a thought...have not made any calls yet. Has anybody here looked into this company's network?

Click on the F.A.S.T. Cable Assembly Program...it appears to be available thru several of Orscheln's distributors.
1988 WB
1999 43 LXI SINGLE SLIDE
ROLLA MISSOURI 65401
Old 09-28-2008
Administrator

Hi Dick,

Yep we are interested in the cable , Our research so far has not found an answer.
Old 09-28-2008

I tried them a drew a blank
I even provided an engineering drawing

Email stephenbirtles@hotmail.com
Telephone 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-11-2008

Has anyone simply put in a throttle. When going down the interstate, I am running wide open anyway. Does anyone know of a throttle that can be used that will disengage when you hit the brake? Ken
Old 01-19-2009
Birdless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Hi Dick,

Yep we are interested in the cable , Our research so far has not found an answer.
On the 87-89 FC Wanderlodges, and others too I'd guess, the Bendix cruise control/throttle cylinder (CC-5) has a metric threaded shaft which is M6 x 1.00 in size. The throttle cable is no longer available through normal supply chains, so it's necessary to have one custom made, or locate a suitable aftermarket supplier. Midwest Control Products manufactures metric cables.

I have pictures of the metric throttle cable which I bought online from Midwest Control Products website.

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/240.php

Midwest Control Products is located in Bushnell, IL serving many OEMs as well as individuals...above website is most user friendly. To order your new metric cable you will need to know the length of your present cable in inches or mm.

Click the above url for the Midwest's home page then click, Buy Standard Cables (in red print) then click, Buy Standard Cables again (on next page) then click, Cables, Push-Pull, Grooved (M6 X1.00 Threads) select the line that has your cable length (L) in mm (i,e, 1400mm, 1500mm, 1600mm, 1700mm etc.

The required metric Quick Disconnect Ball Joint, part number QM6, for the governor arm, is also available from this same company online.

Caution: Some assembly required. When the weather moderates I will install this 'prototype' metric cable on my 1989 FC35. I ordered a slightly longer cable (1700mm/67.8") than the original and plan to reroute...this metric cable is much more heavy duty than the original Morse cable. I will post the final results of my metric cable replacement when test results are available.

1. Top throttle cylinder mating to new metric cable via M6 x 1 connector nut (painted CAT yellow).

2. Failed Cable borrowed from Mr Bill Pape (old & overheated, the cable not Bill)

3. My new metric cable assembled via 3/8" to 1/4" copper adapter.

4. Gray stuff is JB Weld...sweat joint will work; don't overheat the cable!
1988 WB
1999 43 LXI SINGLE SLIDE
ROLLA MISSOURI 65401

Last edited by giderich; 01-20-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add'd italics
Old 01-20-2009
Birdless

Photos of the new metric throttle cable

1. Top throttle cylinder mating to new metric cable via M6 x 1 connector nut (painted CAT yellow).

2. Failed Cable borrowed from Mr Bill Pape (old & overheated, the cable not Bill)

3. My new metric cable assembled via 3/8" to 1/4" copper adapter.

4. Gray stuff is JB Weld...sweat joint will work; don't overheat the cable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1085.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	1130   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1088.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	1131   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1090.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	1132   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1091.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	1133  
1988 WB
1999 43 LXI SINGLE SLIDE
ROLLA MISSOURI 65401
Old 01-20-2009
Administrator

Congratulations; Dick is the Pioneer on this issue. And many thanks to Ryan and Michelle Saari for contributing the donor Bendix cylinder. We have been trying to find an acceptable solution to replacing the Bendix/Teleflex/Morse throttle / cruise control cable for a long time.
If Dick's installation and real life test works out, this will be a great solution.
There are many FC's, SP's and PT's, that use this (no longer available, obsolete) throttle cable. We have been unsuccessful in receiving an acceptable solution from BB, CCW or BB SchoolBus and several cable fabricating companies.
Hopefully this will be the final solution.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 01-21-2009 at 09:27 AM.