Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 03-05-2013

Default Hydraulic Hose for Fuel and Oil Lines

I was performing my pre-season ritual of inspecting my bird when I noticed some of the fuel lines under the dog house are showing signs of aging. Some show some minor surface cracks (what I would call crazing) and I have at least one fuel line where the outer material is cracking and pealing off. For the one that is cracking and pealing, It is connected to a pet cock. I believe it is a non-pressure line used for draining fuel and burping the air from the pump.

I can get the local NAPA store to make me new lines but they only have hydraulic hose. They appear to be clueless on weather the hydrualic hose can be used for engine oil or diesel fuel. Does anyone have experience with using hydraulic hose for engine oil and diesel fuel? The reason I would like to use my local NAPA is that they are 2 miles from the house and I can get the new hoses made pretty darn quick. If I have to remove a hose, I would prefer to minimize the amount of time I have the fuel line open to the atmosphere.

Alerternatively I am looking at using hose and fitting from Earls (http://www.holley.com/division/Earls.asp#17) or from Mr. Gasket (http://mr-gasket.com/air-and-fuel-sy...omponents.html) where I can see that there hose is rated for oil and fuel. Any thoughts on this?

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 03-05-2013
Gardner

Tim,
The lighter color line you point to is a pressure line from the intake manifold. It is connected to the cylindrical unit with the three bolts on top. This is used to control the amount of fuel the injector pump delivers when increasing the throttle to prevent a black puff of smoke. It detects when the turbo pressure rises and then allows more fuel flow.It is an EPA thing. You won't see anything leak, it is air.

The stuff carrying the fuel that was on my coach was high pressure hydraulic hose. It should be compatible with oil and the pressure is not any where near what a hydraulic line can handle.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-05-2013

Gardner,

Thank you for the information.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 03-12-2013

I could use some help in identifying the correct fuel/oil/air hose lines on my Cat 3208. I plan on getting some Russell braided lines and hose fittings. The problem is I don't want to break open the lines to determine the replacement hose ID. By any chance does any know the hose and fitting size. Most of the items below look like a 1/4" pipe or 1/4" flare fitting but the incoming fuel hose looks like a 3/8 Flare. From the list below, can you tell me the ID hose size and confirm the fitting size?

Air Compressor Oil Feed Line: 1/2" OD, 1/4" Female Flare to 1/4" Female Flare. (About 30" long) ID Hose size 1/4"?

Intake Manifold to Inj Pump, Air Pressure Line: 1/2" OD, 1/4" male pipe to 1/4" Female Flare (about 12" long), ID Hose size?

Secondary Fuel Filter Inlet (In engine bay with hand pump): 3/4" OD, 3/8 Female Flare at the filter fitting (3/8" flare to 1/4" pipe) to ??? (can't see the other end. I think it is next to the air compressor), ID Hose size?

Secondary Fuel Filter Outlet: 1/2" OD, 1/4 Male Pipe (at filter) to 1/4" Female Flare (at inj pump), about 48" long, ID hose size?

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 03-12-2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN_thread

Will this help??
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-13-2013

Tim I took each line off and went over to my hose maker and dropped them off to be duplicated. As Gardner said, hydraulic hose should be more than sufficient. Just be aware there are different types/grades of hose, but I'm sure your guy knows that.
VB 1570
Old 03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Thanks Rick. The link you provided had a link to another document that decribes adapating NPT fittings to AN fittings and how to properly size them.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/2010/01/an-vs-npt/

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...AN-and-NPT.pdf

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Tim I took each line off and went over to my hose maker and dropped them off to be duplicated. As Gardner said, hydraulic hose should be more than sufficient. Just be aware there are different types/grades of hose, but I'm sure your guy knows that.

Markus,

I agree, this would be the easier way of doing it. I was trying to avoid taking time off from work to do this or leaving any of the systems open for a period of time while the hoses were being made. I also like the idea of being able to make my own hoses. If can't figure this out, I will be going this route.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 05-18-2013

This is just an update to my earlier post. Below is a picture of a couple of the fuel lines I pulled off my engine. With the outer protective sleeves on the lines, I had no idea how bad these were. If I had, I would have changed them two years ago.

After considering all my options, I decided to replace the original lines with steel braided lines and AN fittings from Russell. The only line I had to have custom made was the secondary fuel filter to the injection pump. It uses an odd 5/16" (or -5) flare that I could not adapt to. This hose I had made up my the folks at NAPA. The steel braided lines can saw through other hoses or metal lines if they touch or vibrate. In those locations, the braided lines wrapped or sleeved.

My last set of engine hoses to replace are the power steering hose. I did one last year but avoided the return hose from the steering gear because it is buried under the floor. I wait no longer. It started as a small leak at the end of the hose at the bottom of the reservior. What I determined was that the original hose is made up of an inner hose wrapped in a fiber braid and then covered with an outer hose. On my power steering reservoir hose, the outer hose was still flexible but the inner lining had become rock hard and cracked. This allowed the power steering fluid to leak at the end of the hose as it followed the braid.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35