Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-25-2016

Default Easy Steps to Finding Common Parts?

How do you go about finding parts, because I am doing it wrong. Example, my '78 fc33 needs rear wheel seals and bearings. These are not hard to find parts and are probably in stock at Napa, but finding which parts to buy has been very time consuming for me. Hours on the computer, in the manuals, and on the phone. Again, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong and not using the right resources. If it were my old Mercedes wagon I could just go online and put my model and year data in and part #'s come out. Is there anything like that anywhere for the birds? What's the easiest way of cross referencing to come up with common part numbers? Sorry for the amature question that is probbably answered 1000 times within other threads that I have not found. Thanks, John
Old 04-25-2016
Forum owner

Pull it apart,and take the old parts to the parts store,that way you get the right ones,the first time.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-27-2016

Thanks for the reply. I would still like to know the steps others use to find parts or current part numbers for their older birds. Are there any suppliers that have cross referance materials that people use and like? I need several things that will not mean anything to the guys at the local parts store if I go in and lay them on the counter and will probably have to be ordered there or elsewhere. Taking parts in when you can is great advice as I have definitely gone home with the wrong ones before! John
Old 04-27-2016

On your axles, think "class 8" truck parts, because that is what they are, and very common to find. If you have the "blue box", the part numbers are in there, if not, there should be a tag on your axle with the manufacture name and part #. You can then go to a truck parts store and get the correct parts.
Old 04-27-2016

Default Parts

Bearings and wheel seals have a part number stamped on them. Good trick at NAPA is to go to the parts man with the grayest beard. Develop a friendship with that guy. Coffee and donuts to break the ice?
Here's a link to Fleet Pride, a national truck parts business with 200 outlets. They have a computer database to search their stores in other cities.
http://www.yellowpages.com/murfreesb...24?lid=4579224

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther

Last edited by Friday1; 04-27-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: info
Old 04-27-2016

Napa is where I go or to a truck shop, you must bring the old part. In a pinch (my drag link rebuild comes to mind) I call Glenn Rogers at Coach craft and he gets me what I need.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 04-27-2016

[QUOTE=Tennessee;337830]Thanks for the reply. I would still like to know the steps others use to find parts or current part numbers for their older birds. Are there any suppliers that have cross referance materials that people use and like? I need several things that will not mean anything to the guys at the local parts store if I go in and lay them on the counter and will probably have to be ordered there or elsewhere. Taking parts in when you can is great advice as I have definitely gone home with the wrong ones before! John[/QUOTE

John, What are those things your needing? Perhaps we can tell you how we found them or what we used in place of the original.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Napa is where I go or to a truck shop, you must bring the old part. In a pinch (my drag link rebuild comes to mind) I call Glenn Rogers at Coach craft and he gets me what I need.

I use Napa also but Fleetpride was able to cross the #s for my Drag Link rebuild. They have a very good cross reference book if you have your parts list book from Wanderlodge.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
How do you go about finding parts, because I am doing it wrong. Example, my '78 fc33 needs rear wheel seals and bearings. These are not hard to find parts and are probably in stock at Napa, but finding which parts to buy has been very time consuming for me. Is there anything like that anywhere for the birds? What's the easiest way of cross referencing to come up with common part numbers?
Perhaps this may help-

http://www.vintagebirds.com/Ownerman...ts Catalog.pdf

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-27-2016

Shane, how did you find that and is there one for the 2000 LXi?