Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-10-2019

Default Primus both turn on with no fault, but

One side doesn’t generate any heat! It seems like the ignitor works and the green light comes on and stays on but no heat!

Any idea what to check for? Is there a valve that may be closed for the water mixture to flow? Where is the water tank, do both boilers have the same water tank? And where are they located?

Thank you

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019

if i remember right 91 has 1 boiler for left side and one for right so it would have 2 pumps look at the two water line going to each boiler and make sure both are working - pumps use magnetic drive so just because pump it spinning doesnt mean its working..i had one that someone look apart and reassembled wrong so things happen good luck
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 10-10-2019

Assuming the '91PT is the same as a '91WB.....

Yes, 2 boilers, Right and Left sides. However one of the sides also includes a loop for the domestic water heater. There is a 'summer/winter' valve back by the boilers that is used to shut off the hydronic heating loop so that the boiler only heats the domestic hot water. If in the 'summer' position, the boiler will work fine, but not heat the coach.

And two separate tanks located at top of rear hatch opening.

If there was a problem with the boiler, such as not igniting, it will cause a fault and I believe the pump will not run. I think the same is true if water isn't pumping as eventually it will boil/overheat and will shut down. So likely that the boiler is working and circulating water. Carefully feel the piping in/out of the boiler to see if it is warm.
Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
Assuming the '91PT is the same as a '91WB.....

Yes, 2 boilers, Right and Left sides. However one of the sides also includes a loop for the domestic water heater. There is a 'summer/winter' valve back by the boilers that is used to shut off the hydronic heating loop so that the boiler only heats the domestic hot water. If in the 'summer' position, the boiler will work fine, but not heat the coach.

And two separate tanks located at top of rear hatch opening.

If there was a problem with the boiler, such as not igniting, it will cause a fault and I believe the pump will not run. I think the same is true if water isn't pumping as eventually it will boil/overheat and will shut down. So likely that the boiler is working and circulating water. Carefully feel the piping in/out of the boiler to see if it is warm.
Thank you, one of the small tanks on top of the rear hatch was almost empty so I added 50/50 antifreeze to above 1/2 full. The boilers one works and get hot and heat right side of the bus the other seems to come on and make noise and green light comes on but it doesn’t become warm/hot to touch. The one that works ok when you press the boiler button inside the red light in the triangle “fault” comes on for a second then goes off and green light comes on igniting the boiler. On the one that doesn’t work, the green light comes on without the red light flashing in the triangle.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019

Sounds like it's not igniting. If it was trying to ignite, I think it would eventually set the fault light. A common problem with these is small thermal overload switch that is in the output line just above the boiler. If it gets too hot (possibly from low fluid or bad pump, etc.) it will shut off power to the unit and prevent ignition. These are also prone to failure and many people advocate removing them.

You should be able to locate it in the output hose just above the boiler. Small in-line switch with two wires and a small red reset button. You can try pushing the reset, and it that doesn't work, jumper the two wires together to see if the boiler starts.
Old 10-10-2019

Pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primus_hoses.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	64616  
Old 10-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose View Post
Sounds like it's not igniting. If it was trying to ignite, I think it would eventually set the fault light. A common problem with these is small thermal overload switch that is in the output line just above the boiler. If it gets too hot (possibly from low fluid or bad pump, etc.) it will shut off power to the unit and prevent ignition. These are also prone to failure and many people advocate removing them.

You should be able to locate it in the output hose just above the boiler. Small in-line switch with two wires and a small red reset button. You can try pushing the reset, and it that doesn't work, jumper the two wires together to see if the boiler starts.
I pressed the reset button and boiler started but the fault light came on after a few second. According to fault tracing schedule it could be a bad solenoid valve or the electronic unit is bad. Both of those are on the bottom of the boiler and I’m not sure how to get it out (procedure) to replace the solenoid first and if that is not the problem then electronic unit.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019

Did it ignite and get warm at all? I think after 3 ignite cycles it will fault if no ignition. You should be able to hear it trying to ignite. If you can hear it try to ignite for 3 cycles and then fault, then probably not the electronic unit. Probably the solenoid. You can test the signals to the solenoid as they are an external plug on the unit.

It's also possible that there is air in the system and it's overheating. Hence the tripped reset button. There's also another thermal switch internal to the boiler. Read up on the control panel operation and figure out how to run the pump without firing the boiler and see if you purge out all the air. May need to run for hours or may need to manually pump/purge.
Old 10-10-2019

I pressed the rest went back in and pressed the boiler button, a continues noise started in the boiler, about seven second later the red fault line came on and click noise.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 10-10-2019

I turned the other side (the good one) on and then kept cycling through and trying to turn the other boiler and on the 4th or 5th try, I heard a boom noise like gas igniting and it stayed on!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org