Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-13-2015

Default Girard Awning Wind Sensor

My 2004 M380 has a Girard Awning with a wind sensor. My anemometer cups are broken off. I went to the Girard website (they are located in San Clemente, CA) and they show a dealer network that includes a couple of RV dealers in my part of Florida. I called North Trail in Ft. Myers and they had them in stock for $250. Had to buy a whole new unit, they said.

I called Girard directly and they told me they were only $150 for a whole new unit. I inquired about buying only the cups and got a story laid on me about how why I could not just buy only the cups.

An eBay search on Girard awning parts revealed several for about $40 which is still too much for three little spinning plastic cups.

Has anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS Super C
Old 08-13-2015

Mine on the 2000 LXi didn't work. Don't know if it was the anemometer or the electronics. That control system was made by SOMFI who does not support it anymore. Later, Girard made their own and have you replace the whole control system for about $800, as I recall. Since we will never leave the bus with the awning out anyway, we just cut it off and use the manual switch. No need for a remote, either.

If you want my anemometer, you can have it. Maybe it will work for you. The mounting arm is broken as it had been broken off by the PO, but the cups and body are fine.

By the way, if reinstalling this, I'd certainly make a guard for it as a branch will get it sooner or later.
Old 08-13-2015

Ron,

Are you going to be at the Pine Mountain Rally? I would really like to have the cups.

Thanks

Ron
Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Ron,

Are you going to be at the Pine Mountain Rally? I would really like to have the cups.

Thanks

Ron
Well, so sorry, but I just spent a half hour going through all my BB boxes twice and didn't find it. I must have thrown it out. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2015

I have the plastic part still good on my sensor that has bad bearings. Still installed on my coach. Will be at WOG rally. It is yours if you want.
Old 08-13-2015

Thanks Jim.
Old 08-13-2015

RonC - Get in the habit of doing a quick search in the Google Site Search block above. Chances are your question has already been answered. For example, I had the same bearing issue as Jim awhile back. Check out post #35: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...?t=4843&page=4. Since there is no travel "gust lock", at 60-70 mph plus another 15-20 for the inevitable headwind those bearings get a workout. A couple months ago my birdie was relegated to a bin that holds all the other unnecessary parts I'm saving for the next owner of this coach

Last edited by NoGas; 08-13-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-14-2015

I think Van is thinking as I am. I didn't trust the wind retract when it worked. So I just don't leave with the awing out. It just takes a finger on the remote to extend and retract -- even a lazy old retired guy like me can use a finger.
Old 08-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
I think Van is thinking as I am. I didn't trust the wind retract when it worked. So I just don't leave with the awing out. It just takes a finger on the remote to extend and retract -- even a lazy old retired guy like me can use a finger.
I think we have all used a "finger" on occasion But I never retracted an awning when I used it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 08-16-2015

Default guard for Girard anemometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Mine on the 2000 LXi didn't work. Don't know if it was the anemometer or the electronics. That control system was made by SOMFI who does not support it anymore. Later, Girard made their own and have you replace the whole control system for about $800, as I recall. Since we will never leave the bus with the awning out anyway, we just cut it off and use the manual switch. No need for a remote, either.

If you want my anemometer, you can have it. Maybe it will work for you. The mounting arm is broken as it had been broken off by the PO, but the cups and body are fine.

By the way, if reinstalling this, I'd certainly make a guard for it as a branch will get it sooner or later.
I've had to replace the anemometer twice due to low hanging limbs. I had a local vendor made a guard to match the mounting bracket I made when the first one was broken. The bracket and guard a a little on the costly side but they are made from 300 series stainless steel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf photo 1.2.pdf (390.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: pdf photo 1.3.pdf (1,009.6 KB, 199 views)