Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2019

That KOA would not have been my first choice but it will probably be fine. I have bought propane there and also used the RV repair business that is co-located on site. I’m not sure if they are financially connected but they utilize the same driveway.

The I-20 Congestion in Weatherford is pretty bad The exit you will want coming off 20 is probably 1.5 miles east of your destination so pay close attention when you get close. Get in the center lane of the service road as you go up the hill towards the hwy 51 interchange. Go straight through across 51 and down the hill still on the service road to the next intersection. Start getting over to the left Look for the Home Depot off to your right. Take a left under the I20. Go south past Horrible freight and turn left immediately after you pass it.

Home Despot is directly across the interstate and there are lots of other local attractions close by like Wally World, Cracker Barrel, Horrible Freight, etc.

I’m about 15 minutes southwest from the KOA and should be around if you need something. 817/ three one two / 2208 I’m changing jobs and am tied up with training / studying but might could help with things if you are in a bind.

My local choice would probably be either Coffee Creek as mentioned above or one real close to me called Oak Creek. The KOA is closer to town and the library so that will make your trip shorter. The place Don mentioned is further east and would also be good. I know a young man who lives in a travel trailer there and he says it is ok.

The GWB library is on my to-do list My wife has been and said it was very nice. Plan for about 75 -90 minutes drive during the busy times and maybe a little less off peak. Unfortunately the busy time starts about 6:00 am and lasts till about 10:30 pm. Just kidding—— it’s not quite that bad but it’s not going to be a quick little ten minute drive either. I would say it’s pretty close to 60 miles

Max Hendrix.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 01-05-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
That KOA would not have been my first choice but it will probably be fine. I have bought propane there and also used the RV repair business that is co-located on site. I’m not sure if they are financially connected but they utilize the same driveway.

The I-20 Congestion in Weatherford is pretty bad The exit you will want coming off 20 is probably 1.5 miles east of your destination so pay close attention when you get close. Get in the center lane of the service road as you go up the hill towards the hwy 51 interchange. Go straight through across 51 and down the hill still on the service road to the next intersection. Start getting over to the left Look for the Home Depot off to your right. Take a left under the I20. Go south past Horrible freight and turn left immediately after you pass it.

Home Despot is directly across the interstate and there are lots of other local attractions close by like Wally World, Cracker Barrel, Horrible Freight, etc.

I’m about 15 minutes southwest from the KOA and should be around if you need something. 817/ three one two / 2208 I’m changing jobs and am tied up with training / studying but might could help with things if you are in a bind.

My local choice would probably be either Coffee Creek as mentioned above or one real close to me called Oak Creek. The KOA is closer to town and the library so that will make your trip shorter. The place Don mentioned is further east and would also be good. I know a young man who lives in a travel trailer there and he says it is ok.

The GWB library is on my to-do list My wife has been and said it was very nice. Plan for about 75 -90 minutes drive during the busy times and maybe a little less off peak. Unfortunately the busy time starts about 6:00 am and lasts till about 10:30 pm. Just kidding—— it’s not quite that bad but it’s not going to be a quick little ten minute drive either. I would say it’s pretty close to 60 miles

Max Hendrix.
Max,
Thanks for the directions. It's tough enough driving the coach in the dense traffic, a little heads-up really helps. I agree the campground East of Dallas would have been the better choice, but Kathy wants to avoid as much of the Dallas traffic as possible when we are driving the coach. I don't like it either. We probably aren't avoiding much by going to Denton and dropping down as opposed to taking 20 below Dallas/Fort Worth, but we will find out the hard way.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-05-2019

I don’t understand your routing to Denton.

Are you coming down I-30 from Arkansas. If so I assume you plan to get off at Greenville and go west to McKinney, etc, Denton. If that is your plan, I strongly recommend you reconsider. My wife and I have family in Arkansas and we avoid the DFW “North” quadrant unless absolutely necessary. Lots of traffic, growth and construction up on that side. Denton is growing like crazy and the mess up there is terrible. Denton to FTW to Weatherford is not exactly easy either. Consider going further west to Decatur and turning South on 51 to Weatherford if you really are committed to riding across the “North Side”

Coming home from Arkansas, my wife likes to get off I-30 at Greenville and take TX-34 down to hit I-20 west at Terrell. But I’ve never done that in the bus. She drives a car and likes that route
With the bus or if I am driving my pickup pulling a trailer etc, I just stay on the I-30 to the east side of Dallas and join the 635 southbound loop south to I-20 westbound. Some traffic will be expected but it’s a straightforward type loop with very few bottlenecks or chances to screw up and be in the wrong lane. Another advantage to me is that the drivers, general traffic will be less aggressive North Dallas is notorious for fast, self centered type of drivers. YMMV.

96 BMC 40' Sold
Old 01-05-2019

Gardner I sent you an email....
2000 LXI "Fort R #5"
Fort Worth, Tx gardendoc@aol.com
Old 01-05-2019
Gardner

Plans are made to change-so we did!

Coming down from Greenville via 34. Pick up 20 and get off for KOA in Arlington. Three nights so we can do Bush library, Laundry, and work out the rest of the trip ending at Q.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-06-2019

I drove through the KOA here in Weatherford today and I’m kinda glad that you aren’t planning to stay there. It’s pretty sad. And I’m trying to be nice and remember what my Grandma said —- if you can’t say something nice, then just don’t say anything at all.

I-20 from Terrell TX to the East side of Dallas is built on black land clay. It’s rough and has big heaves Concrete just doesn’t last when built on that type of soil. I just drove my bus over it about two months ago and slowed to 55-60 for the entire section. Pretty much all the trucks will slow down substantially Of course the cars won’t slow down at all and they will moan and groan about how bad the road is....

Enjoy your stay in Texas. Please post your impressions of the library here after you visit.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
Old 01-06-2019

There is a Bucee's in Terrell at the I-20 intersection, they have quick fill pumps and typically low cost diesel. You might consider a fill up there. If you have never been to a Bucee's it is worth a stop.

mark kitchens
Athens, Tx
1995 WB42
C: 214 477 3757
markkitch@aol.com
Old 01-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkitch View Post
There is a Bucee's in Terrell at the I-20 intersection, they have quick fill pumps and typically low cost diesel. You might consider a fill up there. If you have never been to a Bucee's it is worth a stop.
We always plan a Buc-ee's stop when traveling in Texas. The BBQ sandwiches ain't bad!

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Old 01-09-2019
Gardner

We went to the GWB (George W Bush) library today. My wife rated it "Fair to Midland" $13 each to get in and $7.50 for parking based on time. And $6 for two hot dogs. We have been to a few Presidential libraries. The 9/11 section has all the names of the victims on the walls, Since we live just across the Hudson river we had known several of them.
Ridgewood, New Jersey