Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
View Poll Results: Some are having issues with this thread, help us by answering this poll
Close this thread 4 4.49%
Add a moderator to moderate all posts, before allowing it in this thread or moving it to a new one. 6 6.74%
Leave it as it is. 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2017

With 27-30 degree lows predicted for 4 days next week, I went ahead and drained the water tank, blew out the lines, added 5 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank, and ran all the fixtures including the washer until I got pink. Yes, I used both pumps and made sure I got antifreeze through all the cold and hot fixtures.

I also diagnosed why my horn was continuously on: broken wire in the steering wheel shorting to ground.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
With 27-30 degree lows predicted for 4 days next week, I went ahead and drained the water tank, blew out the lines, added 5 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank, and ran all the fixtures including the washer until I got pink. Yes, I used both pumps and made sure I got antifreeze through all the cold and hot fixtures.

I also diagnosed why my horn was continuously on: broken wire in the steering wheel shorting to ground.
Winterizing, unneeded at those temps especially if it warms up during the day.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 12-31-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssam View Post
Winterizing, unneeded at those temps especially if it warms up during the day.
And as we know,the weatherman is always right!
Better safe than sorry!
My coach is in the barn,heat pumps purring away.
I'm sitting inside,fireplace channel on the Tv,all is well!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:

And...you should not put the pink stuff in the fresh water tank, just drain the tank and water heater and put the pink stuff in the lines only.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
And as we know,the weatherman is always right!
Better safe than sorry!
My coach is in the barn,heat pumps purring away.
I'm sitting inside,fireplace channel on the Tv,all is well!
Oops, forgot about the weatherman error factor!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 01-01-2018

I'm new at this. I don't know where to find the fitting to dump it into the lines only; I drained the fresh tank, used the built in air purge on all the lines until I stopped getting water, and then added the antifreeze to the tank, then ran the pumps until I got pink at the fixtures. There's no hot water tank, just the coil on the Aqua-Hot. Serial flush/drain on the tank followed by flushing the lines should get me back after the danger of freezing has passed.

I was also rather startled by just how much **** came out of the fresh tank as I pumped out what was left after I used the drain line in the wet bay.

I'd rather be flushing pipes and tanks than digging through the bowels of the bus replacing water lines and fixtures. I spent less than $20 on the antifreeze, cheap insurance. It may be Florida but I've seen 8 degrees F here. (January 1985). The money and time spend was worth it for my peace of mind as the temperature drops below that magic number of 32.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
I'm new at this. I don't know where to find the fitting to dump it into the lines only; I drained the fresh tank, used the built in air purge on all the lines until I stopped getting water, and then added the antifreeze to the tank, then ran the pumps until I got pink at the fixtures. There's no hot water tank, just the coil on the Aqua-Hot. Serial flush/drain on the tank followed by flushing the lines should get me back after the danger of freezing has passed.

I was also rather startled by just how much **** came out of the fresh tank as I pumped out what was left after I used the drain line in the wet bay.

I'd rather be flushing pipes and tanks than digging through the bowels of the bus replacing water lines and fixtures. I spent less than $20 on the antifreeze, cheap insurance. It may be Florida but I've seen 8 degrees F here. (January 1985). The money and time spend was worth it for my peace of mind as the temperature drops below that magic number of 32.
You did the right thing You only have to be wrong once to get into 4 digits quick (aquahot!). I have easy access to the water pump so I just connect one of those camco coolant valves and suck from a bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P...interizing+kit
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 01-01-2018

[QUOTE=mahansm;402255]I'm new at this. I don't know where to find the fitting to dump it into the lines only; I drained the fresh tank, used the built in air purge on all the lines until I stopped getting water, and then added the antifreeze to the tank, then ran the pumps until I got pink at the fixtures. There's no hot water tank, just the coil on the Aqua-Hot. Serial flush/drain on the tank followed by flushing the lines should get me back after the danger of freezing has passed.

I'd rather be flushing pipes and tanks than digging through the bowels of the bus replacing water lines and fixtures. I spent less than $20 on the antifreeze, cheap insurance. It may be Florida but I've seen 8 degrees F here. (January 1985). The money and time spend was worth it for my peace of mind as the temperature drops below that magic number of 32.[/QUOTE

I did say that i forgot about the weatherman error factor...so winterizing may be worth the time and effort plus peace of mind (wasn't trying to save you money) if it's going to be below the temps you stated. Putting the pink stuff into the tank will leave a bad smell in the tank and you'll need to flush it several times. Can't believe that Blue Bird didn't give you a way to suck the pink directly into the water lines and bypassing the fresh water tank. If you have difficulty getting to pink smell out of the fresh water tank use some Camco Spring fresh to flush with. I use it to get the smell out of the water lines after the pink stuff sits in the lines for 3 or 4 months. It works really well.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 01-01-2018

"Can't believe that Blue Bird didn't give you a way to suck the pink directly into the water lines and bypassing the fresh water tank"

Above is a sentence I posted in a response to Stephen Mahan.

I forgot that Bluebird used the air purge technique only and didn’t install a way to suck pink stuff into the lines. On my FC that I recently sold I installed a winterizing kit to put the pink stuff in the lines when I first bought it 14 years ago. Blowing out the lines is ok but can leave some water in the not so level valleys in the water lines. The pink stuff is what really works best. But if living in Florida maybe installing one of these isn’t needed since you won’t be winterizing every year. So, I take back all my advice!!! Never mind!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 01-01-2018

Like I said, I'm new at this. I'm still working on getting the bird into my back yard. I've been hung up for months trying to get the power company to move my service line (too low across the only route into the back). Next winter I'll have it plugged into 50 amp service and I'll count on simply keeping it warm.

I can bring the bus to my house and I've got water and sewer lines available; flushing multiple times will not be an issue. Forecast for the week is lows of 28,26,26, and 28; it was 28 when I went outside at about 9:00 AM today.

I see where I can insert a valve/connector into the suction line to the pumps and it's where I can get to it. However, this will still leave some water in the bottom of the fresh tank and more importantly, in the drain and suction piping for the fresh system. I also noticed that blowing out the lines left water pooled in the low spots. There's also discussions of this somewhere in the forum that cover that exact issue.

I'm just happy that I found the overflow vent on the top of the fresh tank, that I was able to remove the check valve on the vent, and that the previous owner left me a piece of tubing and a funnel so that I was able to pour the antifreeze into the tank. It's all good; no offense taken from anyone.

Steve

And a happy and prosperous new year to all.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022