Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2008

Default Transynd ATF Conversion

Hi All,

I changed my old ATF over to Transynd in July. After about 10K miles, I noticed that the new fluid was getting pretty dirty. Yesterday, I drained the pan and changed both filters again, then refilled with new Transynd. Is it common for the new fluid to discolor that quickly? I was told that Transynd had a longer drain interval and was better able to handle the heat of our retarder. I had the torque converter and cooler power-flushed when I did the original coversion, but my guess is that the new fluid cleaned out the "nooks and crannies" of the tranny- hence the dirty fluid. There was not much on the magnet in the pan- just a little black "slime" that wiped off easily. Has anyone else had experience with this conversion?

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-16-2008

Shane,

I have 10 gallons in the basement I hope to put in the Bird and my Duramax/Allison in the next few weeks. I am not sure if the dis-coloration is an indication of fluid quality. If you still have the fluid, maybe have an Allison shop run an analysis.

I have heard nothing but good about Transynd so I have decided to make the change. I was told by Allison that after the second change, I should be good for 100,000 miles on the fluid. I still will change the external filter each year. My Allison rep said not to flush but change it, drive it a year, then change the fluid again. Then just the Ext filter annually. Of course, that was based on my mileage expectations.

Glenn

Last edited by RAGster; 12-16-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2008
Senior

Shane if the fluid is discolored one of two things has happened. Either you have overheated the transmission to the point where you discolored the fluid (not likely or you would have seen it on your gauge) or the fluid was never changed before you got the coach and overheating discolored some of the clutches and other parts and deposited the residue on the walls etc of the inside of the tranny. What you are seeing is a cleansing of the inside of the tranny. Dont worry about it just change the exterior filter and smile. It alright.

Now get back to work before the boss sacks you for playing on company time
6V92
Old 12-16-2008
Former Bird Owner

Transynd has a mileage component _and_ a time component. I doubt that most of us will reach the mileage limit within the time limit. You'll need to change the transmission fluid every 3 years anyway, regardless of mileage.

The P.O. told me he was using synthetic transmission fluid and oil. About 6 months after buying the coach, I replaced the engine oil and transmission fluid, using regular stuff in the engine (synthetic doesn't offer any improvement in change interval) and transynd in the transmission. It's been working fine.

I note that I have an "exhaust brake" jake brake, so there is no additional heating of the transmission fluid. It tends to (eventually) get up to about 170 degrees or so, and stay there.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com