Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2008
Gardner

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I hope it's not a train..

The latest place neglected to switch the batteries off and killed them. After recharging they tried to start it and the ground on the starter started shooting sparks. But that is now fixed. So they got it started and drove it into the shop. All the grounds and battery cables were fixed last year by a truck place before I bought it. I have the detailed bill. Nice!

Today when they dropped the driveshaft they discovered the front universal joint bearings were crushed. That will likley explain the vibration. The old trans is on its way out and the new one is waiting its turn. It actually might be done on Friday; Just in time for the big snow storm heading my way.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-18-2008
Forum owner

Gardner,your a very patient man.
good luck,keep us advised!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-23-2008
Gardner

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT"S READY TO BE PICKED UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The coach is waiting for me to go and get it this afternoon. New universal joint, newly-reman'd transmission and new ground wire on starter. No charge for the U-joint or ground wire fixes, which was a nice addition by Transaxle since this wasn't the shop that did the first swap.

So with luck I will be on the road home around 2:00 with a smooth shifting vibration free coach.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-23-2008

Default good news

Praise the Lord and pass the mash potatoes!!!

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-23-2008

Here's hoping things go as they should go!!! Smooth shifting all the way!!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-23-2008
Gardner

Success comes to he who waits, and waits...

The coach was ready and waiting. I talked it over with the warranty rep, signed the papers and hooked up the toad. Right from the start it was a whole new coach. No vibration and nice, well placed shifts. I drove the 100 miles to home running at 60-65 mph some of the way, and in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic on and off. I am very pleased with the final product.

Another added feature was the irritating front end shimmy I used to get when hitting rough spots is almost unnoticeable. The warranty rep did say this shop dropped the front axle as well, but I suspect the mechanics did a thorough job of checking when they put it back together. They must have tightened something like perhaps the drag link ends? Anyway, like I said, it is again a pleasure to drive.

They explained that the drive line vibration was in fact definitely the front universal joint. They said it looked as if the highly skilled mechanics that did the first swap had hammered the bearing case on and some of the bearings had fallen into the case and were mashed into the end of the universal joint center element. I am very lucky I made the 200 miles home and back to the warranty center with it in that condition.

All fixed no charge, except for my time and diesel fuel. But Transaxle did make good on the warranty and there was no push back at all. They also filled it up with Transynd. They covered the new universal joint and the new ground wire on the starter as well. The ****** mechanical work on the first go round was and is the responsibility of the first shop, but Transaxle ate it.

Thanks to all for putting up with my rantings.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-23-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

I don't know how you did it Gardner, but thankfully it worked out. I'm pretty sure I would have gone postal a long time ago.

Enjoy your Christmas present!

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 12-23-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Success comes to he who waits, and waits...

The coach was ready and waiting. I talked it over with the warranty rep, signed the papers and hooked up the toad. Right from the start it was a whole new coach. No vibration and nice, well placed shifts. I drove the 100 miles to home running at 60-65 mph some of the way, and in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic on and off. I am very pleased with the final product.

Another added feature was the irritating front end shimmy I used to get when hitting rough spots is almost unnoticeable. The warranty rep did say this shop dropped the front axle as well, but I suspect the mechanics did a thorough job of checking when they put it back together. They must have tightened something like perhaps the drag link ends? Anyway, like I said, it is again a pleasure to drive.

They explained that the drive line vibration was in fact definitely the front universal joint. They said it looked as if the highly skilled mechanics that did the first swap had hammered the bearing case on and some of the bearings had fallen into the case and were mashed into the end of the universal joint center element. I am very lucky I made the 200 miles home and back to the warranty center with it in that condition.

All fixed no charge, except for my time and diesel fuel. But Transaxle did make good on the warranty and there was no push back at all. They also filled it up with Transynd. They covered the new universal joint and the new ground wire on the starter as well. The ****** mechanical work on the first go round was and is the responsibility of the first shop, but Transaxle ate it.

Thanks to all for putting up with my rantings.

That sounds great, it looks like this week has been a good one for a lot of the forum members including yourself, with Santa visiting a little early

The rantings were not as bad as you may think.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-23-2008
Forum owner

thats great news!
those guys treated you nice.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-24-2008
Administrator

Congratulations Gardner, You are a patient person.

Is this the end of the Bump, Bump thread, I will miss the updates