Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 07-14-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Detroit and other PT filters

PT - 80's & early 90's

Engine Fan - Hyraulic Fluid FIlters - InLine canister filter with 1 filter, not the reservoir which houses 3 filters.
BB Old # 4405767
BB New # 2122026
Filter Element Parker Hannifin # 925835
Grainger Stock # 5W722

Engine Fan - Hyraulic Fluid FIlters - Fan and power steering fluid reservoir.
Reservoir Element (takes 3)
BB # 2137065

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-21-2009

Hi John,

Do you know the cross ref filter number for the 3 filters in the reservoir? I want to change them and cant find anything but the BB number...
Or will I be able to get a number off the filter when I open the reservoir up??
Thank, Joe
'87 PT40

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 02-21-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Hi John,

Do you know the cross ref filter number for the 3 filters in the reservoir? I want to change them and cant find anything but the BB number...
Or will I be able to get a number off the filter when I open the reservoir up??
Thank, Joe
'87 PT40
Joe,

I personally don't have an answer for you, I believe that it was Rob that gave me this list to post here on the forum, hopefully he or someone with that answer will come in here for you soon.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-21-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Hydraulic Reservoir Filters

Hi Joe,

This information is from notes that I made about 9 years ago when I replaced those filters in my 84 ½ PT-36 so I don’t know if it’s valid or if it will help.

According to my notes my Reservoir was made by Nelson Industries (a division of Cummins) At the time the address was P.O. Box 428 Stoughton, WI and the phone number was 608-879-4200.

It took 3 filter elements and the original Nelson part number for the filter elements was 83284-B. I was told that the filter element number had been changed to 84220-A and that it required a 58403 gasket for the lid. I was also told that they were Original Equipment Manufacture Parts available from Blue Bird. At that time the B.B. number for a filter element was 2138246. I bought them from Wanderlodge for $6.11 each.

Also for what it’s worth when I opened up the Reservoir to change the elements I found that the inside of the tank was nice and clean and that the 3 old elements didn’t appear to need changing - they looked almost as good as the new ones that I put in so I don’t think they really needed to be changed.

The in-line Filter Element that went in the spin-on hydraulic filter was a Parker Hannifin # 925835. It was a 10 micron filter element and it also looked as good as new when I cut it open to inspect it.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 01-29-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Corrected the lid gasket info.
Old 06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Joe,

This information is from notes that I made about 9 years ago when I replaced those filters in my 84 ½ PT-36 so I don’t know if it’s valid or if it will help.

According to my notes my Reservoir was made by Nelson Industries (a division of Cummins) At the time the address was P.O. Box 428 Stoughton, WI and the phone number was 608-879-4200.

It took 3 filter elements and the original Nelson part number for the filter elements was 83284-B. I was told that the filter element number had been changed to 84220-A and that it required a 58403 gasket between each filter element. I was also told that they were Original Equipment Manufacture Parts available from Blue Bird. At that time the B.B. number for a filter element was 2138246. I bought them from Wanderlodge for $6.11 each.

Also for what it’s worth when I opened up the Reservoir to change the elements I found that the inside of the tank was nice and clean and that the 3 old elements didn’t appear to need changing - they looked almost as good as the new ones that I put in so I don’t think they really needed to be changed.

The in-line Filter Element that went in the spin-on hydraulic filter was a Parker Hannifin # 925835. It was a 10 micron filter element and it also looked as good as new when I cut it open to inspect it.
I checked those three Nelson numbers on the Fleetguard on line catalog site:
http://http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/

None of them cross to Fleetguard/Nelson aftermarket parts. That may be due to them being an OEM only part.....buy from BlueBird. What is the reservoir part number?

Last edited by Spike45; 08-03-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2011

Here's a link to Baldwin filter cross reference to many, many other brands. Has some BB numbers.

https://www.equipmax.net/baldwin/cgi...=B&oemabr=Blue
Old 06-03-2011
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01
Hi Joe,

According to my notes my Reservoir was made by Nelson Industries (a division of Cummins) At the time the address was P.O. Box 428 Stoughton, WI and the phone number was 608-879-4200 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 608-879-4200 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

It took 3 filter elements and the original Nelson part number for the filter elements was 83284-B. I was told that the filter element number had been changed to 84220-A and that it required a 58403 gasket between each filter element. I was also told that they were Original Equipment Manufacture Parts available from Blue Bird. At that time the B.B. number for a filter element was 2138246. I bought them from Wanderlodge for $6.11 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike45 View Post
I checked those three Nelson numbers on the Fleetguard on line catalog site:
http://http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/

None of them cross to Fleetguard/Nelson aftermarket parts. That may be due to them being an OEM only part.....buy from BlueBird. What is the reservoir part number? I may be able to run them down when I get back in the office next week.
Gary Spires (W9GAS), Field Service Engineer
Coolants, Cooling Systems, Filtration, Diesel Engines
https://picasaweb.google.com/garyspires45
Hi Gary,

The above post that you quoted of mine is a couple of years old. I changed those filter elements about 11 years ago in the 84 1/2 PT-36 I used to own so I had to do some digging to find my notes.... I did find the notes but it appears there was no part number on the reservoir. Rob Robinson posted a year or so ago that the 3 reservoir filter elements were BB #2138246, Nelson #83284D, Donaldson #P550698, and WIX #57317.

Thanks for all the information you've been posting!
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 06-03-2011

Cummins Filtration did buy Nelson back in 1998. In checking those numbers I find that we have no information. That would be due to the fact that they were made as an OEM part for Blue Bird. We do not make aftermarket replacement parts for those, only the Blue Bird OEM part. Thus they have to be purchased from them. Baldwin or others may have a cross to them. They are not some exotic filter so there should be no problems with using them in place of the BB OE parts. You may have to buy the BB O-ring though.
Old 06-03-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike45 View Post
Cummins Filtration did buy Nelson back in 1998. In checking those numbers I find that we have no information. That would be due to the fact that they were made as an OEM part for Blue Bird. We do not make aftermarket replacement parts for those, only the Blue Bird OEM part. Thus they have to be purchased from them. Baldwin or others may have a cross to them. They are not some exotic filter so there should be no problems with using them in place of the BB OE parts. You may have to buy the BB O-ring though.
The "O" ring was found by Shane Fedeli AKA Brisket Boy and it's a CAT product. I have one but not sure what the number is as there are a couple of numbers on the package. Here they are 3 numbers on the package. By the way never ever ever reuse this "O" ring. Always replace. High pressure,,,gets squashed and leaks if you reuse it.

NO84
119-7844
30-32-30-07-1-A