Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 07-10-2011

Default 8V92 Alternator Belts

My 1990 PT-40 has dual alternators. I have replaced the belts on the "primary" alternator under the bed with no problems. The "secondary" alternator on the rear of the engine under the A/C compressor was recently replaced with the 2 belts being replaced at the same time. Belts used were Gates 7425 (42.5" long 15/32wide). Took short 5 mile trip, both belts broke. It appears that the 7425 belts can't provide the horsepower required for the alternator. What belts should I be using? I can't locate a P/N in the BB Books. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-10-2011
Sandwichs de Glace

Hi Don,

Just checked: Both of our rear alternator belts are Gates 7425 XL's (pic attached). More than 5k miles on them with no problems.

MnM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Alt Belt.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	11207  
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
Old 07-10-2011
Gardner

It takes an awful lot to snap even a less than top quality belt. Something else must be wrong for that to happen. The alternator load is very unlikely the culprit.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-11-2011
Forum owner

I agree,the problem is not the belts,that poor alternator is down there sucking up all the water and dirt and dust.
I would suspect your alternator is having problems,or,the belts were installed wrong.

A few years ago i put a new alternator on a 1990wb (same under the coach alternator),new belts too.
As the coach was driving away i saw a lone belt fall out from under the coach,I stopped the owner and we put 2 more belts on it at my expense.
I never did figure out what I did wrong,but its a bad place to be working and its hard to see what your doing.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-11-2011

Default 8V92 Alternator Belts

Thanks for all the information. Possibly the belts were from old stock as the breaks were clean. There are no abrasions on the belts and alignment looks good. Alternator is new, not rebuilt and spins freely. Yes Randy I agree! Its a miserable job to replace this alternator done mostly by feel! I'll replace the belts again and pay particular attention to belt tension.
Old 07-12-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Thanks for all the information. Possibly the belts were from old stock as the breaks were clean. There are no abrasions on the belts and alignment looks good. Alternator is new, not rebuilt and spins freely. Yes Randy I agree! Its a miserable job to replace this alternator done mostly by feel! I'll replace the belts again and pay particular attention to belt tension.
Don,

To make sure that you get the proper tension on those belts my advice is to purchase a KRIKET V-BELT TENSION TOOL pdf

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips > KRIKET V-BELT TENSION TOOL

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-08-2011

Default 8v92 Alternator Belts

Does any one have the Gates Belt numbers for the Alternator on the Back of the Engine??? I have been searching the post and found two numbers, 7290 and 7425XL and both of those did not work..

2nd Question, Where would be the best place to purchase the plastic tubing that goes on the Front of the Engine Alternator? its like a dryer vent tube but smaller and goes back towards the Transmission..
Les Collets Rouge