Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-10-2012

Hey folks..

Haven't had a chance to get on in a while for any length of time due to obligations. Glad to hear Kurt you have this thing figured out!! Some of you remember when I bought my coach back 6-7 years ago I had the same problem.

What a pain in the butt that was. Everybody worked on it. George Morris and several other mechanics at Bleakley. It was a frustrating experience to say the least. Every possible thing was checked and doubled checked. This post brought back memories of all the same conversations.

I was new to the Bird and was clueless on its operation, never mind the wiring aspect. The last thing we did was run a new power source to the ignition switch and it has never failed since....go figure. It appeared that when the switch was activated it would kill the incoming power to it for what ever reason.

Good info from all ... even the buffoons hope you guys are around when I need ya!
Old 01-10-2012

Congrats Kurt.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
Linden, Michigan
Old 01-10-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Kurt,

Glad you found it!

My guess is that the bad 20 Amp circuit breaker you found is the same breaker I was talking about in post 34. I called it a 5 Amp breaker because that's what it shows in my 91 prints.

I just checked the DDECIII drawing that you posted in your PT-42 files and that print shows the breaker as a 20 Amp like you found.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-10-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Kurt,

Glad you found it!

My guess is that the bad 20 Amp circuit breaker you found is the same breaker I was talking about in post 34. I called it a 5 Amp breaker because that's what it shows in my 91 prints.

I just checked the DDECIII drawing that you posted in your PT-42 files and that print shows the breaker as a 20 Amp like you found.
Alright, I see the 20A breaker that supplies the ignition key with battery power. Then there's the 3 position switch. I assume this is the ignition switch on the rear panel (in the engine compartment). That confused me cause I have a two position switch and a push button at that location.

Many posts ago we suspected the ignition switch so we had Kurt pull the switch and test for power. Everything looked fine at both ignition switches. But then Kurt found that the three position switch was intermittent, or something and wasn't providing load when called for. When it worked it loaded the circuit and threw the intermittent/faulty 20A circuit breaker.

Goes to show, voltages need to be examined with loads applied.

How's that for a recap?
Old 01-10-2012

I hope Kurt has time to post pictures.

I had a problem like this once (but starter turned over-no engine start however, Allison keypad dark and other things dark-happened when I was backing up in a parking lot-after about 10 minutes it started normally).

Buffoon #XX
Series 60 DD
Old 01-10-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
I hope Kurt has time to post pictures.

I had a problem like this once (but starter turned over-no engine start however, Allison keypad dark and other things dark-happened when I was backing up in a parking lot-after about 10 minutes it started normally).

Buffoon #XX
Rod, there are 3 circuit breakers in the engine compartment that supply power to the DDEC ECM and I believe to the Allison WTEC via the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module). These circuit breakers lead a hard weathered life. The circuit breakers get power via a fuseable link connected to a Hot-post. It's feasible to have power to the ignition circuitry such that the starter will spin, but no power to the Allison or DDEC ECU's. You should probably examine the connections on the fusible link and perhaps replace the circuit breakers. I'm away from my coach so unfortunately I can't snap a photo.
Old 01-11-2012

Pics tomorrow @ Prevost shop N'ville, or maybe the Eagle Nest depends on who can fix the Aquahot fastest and cheapest.

David what up the apologies? None needed. You were about to get a phone call, if this deal went into overtime.

It is hard to trump George Morris, Besides he's a Kracker like me and it's easy to follow his directions.

The rear electronic control box (GREY) has a three position toggle switch Front, Off, Rear with a keyed ignition. 17 years old and 3600 hrs of engine time that poor little toggle switch lasted very well for what it is.

The 20 amp breaker was the gremlin, it was hot then it wasn't hot then it was, the engine compartment lights are wired to this breaker as well and they were always on. False sense of proper function

I have about 12 or 13 hours of time into the hunt not to mention George's time and the forums as well. So $15 in parts and labor = a $ 1500.00 breakdown if I had to use the CC Tool
Old 01-11-2012

David-thanks for the info-it helps. Perhaps the next time you are at the bus, you could take a few pics?

Thanks again.
Series 60 DD
Old 01-11-2012
davidmbrady

Thanks Kurt, it's all good learning, and we got some great teachers: John Wyatt, Robert Glover, and George Morris!
Old 01-11-2012
Forum owner

Now,my next question is will any of this info help over on Roncans thread?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com