Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 03-15-2010
Administrator

Default Air Throttle Conversion

Jack

Williams Controls link

http://www.wmco.com/products/throttl...ls_catalog.pdf

Cruise King, Talk to tech support , they know about air throttle conversions and using the Cruise King for Cruise Control

http://www.cruisecontrolking.com/
Old 03-16-2010
'83 FC35 SB in Gary, IN

Default Air Throtle Threads

Thanks a heap for those URL's, Bill. I nearly went blind, reading 13 pages, but sure came away with greatly enhanced understanding, especially after calling Rick in Arkansas, discussing the photos of his installation.

My trannie shop told me that the kickdown was missing the entire connection to the Allison from up top, and that after that was fixed, I wouldn't need an air kickdown, as it would work great in its original setup.

I will be going with the Johnson under-floor pedal, though. My mechanic says it will be an easy task for him. We'll see how the pros do it.

If it's everything y'all say it is, then I can't wait to test drive it for myself!
1983 FC35 SB
Old 03-16-2010

Jack, Remember our conversation just after your return from Quartzsite? We discussed the possibility of you having an inoperative Kick Down. We also discussed the need to check for burnt Transmission Fluid.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-17-2010
Administrator

Jack, What is the Johnson under-floor pedal?? web-site???

" I will be going with the Johnson under-floor pedal, though. My mechanic says it will be an easy task for him. We'll see how the pros do it. "
Old 04-28-2010
'83 FC35 SB in Gary, IN

Ooops! That's WILLIAMS - not Johnson! I hadn't seen your question before just now, hence the delay in answering. My apologies for my mental error. Guess I was too frazzled by all of the research; too much time at the computer, eh?

As for the configuration: As I understand it, "under the floor installation" simply means that only the pedal is above the floor board. All else is underneath the floor. (You can have it all above floor, but someone advised against it...maybe it was Rick?)

Here is a letter back from "KEITH" at Williams, in response to my inquiry. (My mechanic has taken over from here, as it's over my head, so I have no further particulars at this time - except that Donnie/mechanic says it is "proportioned", which elated him! )

LETTER FROM WILLIAMS:
The WM-453-109 had a shorter pedal for the application where there is little room for the toe. Normal pedal is either 10" or 11.4" This is a two component system: The first component is the in-cab air throttle linked to the second component (slave cylinder) attached to the engine fuel meter. They linked via nylon air lines.

The fast idle feature stays in FI mode until sufficient air pressure is built in the tank to allow the air brakes to be released (this is adjustable). This product was designed at the request of the RV industry, because a lot of owners did not want to sit in the drivers chair with their foot on the throttle until pressure was built up. We can supply either standard slave cylinder (WM-388-U1C1D) or the FI cylinder (WM-388-U1C3D). You can see both of these products in our web site under the Williams tag. Go to the throttle catalog for a picture (page 19-21)

If you go to our web site http://www.brakesystemsinc.com, page 76, you will see a representative picture of the through the floor product (note that this catalog page is for non-DOT approved applications, but the product looks the same. You can also reach it by typing in http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/pdf/airvalves_12_07.pdf

If this sounds like what you are looking for, I will provide you with prices. Our prices are lower for the mechanic, who then re-sells to the end user, so if you wish, let me know who your mechanic is and we will get you the best price possible. S/KEITH
keithbrakesystems@earthlink.net

1983 FC35 SB
Old 04-01-2012

Ugh just returned from doing a shake down cruise in the BB and everything checked out like I left it last fall when I put her up except the cruise control wouldn't come on and the retarder didn't work nor did the light on the shifter panel light up ! I remember the retarder lighting up and working but don't recall using the cruise controll . could there be a blown fuse and if so where might the fuse panel be located ? Thanks