Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2010
davidmbrady

In a perfect world no wires would be suspended by their crimp on connectors. The wire should be supported adjacent to the crimp with a mechanical fastener thereby removing any physical loads from the crimp. In the real world, BB has connector suspended wires all over the place. This would never fly in aviation.
Old 01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
In a perfect world no wires would be suspended by their crimp on connectors. The wire should be supported adjacent to the crimp with a mechanical fastener thereby removing any physical loads from the crimp. In the real world, BB has connector suspended wires all over the place. This would never fly in aviation.
Hi David
The FAA requirements on electrical systems is somewhat way overkill in safety. Yet, even with that, I know of a few fires in flight and the loss of 1 DC-9 due to an electrical fire, one can NEVER be too careful with the electric system.
And YES, a 1 amp current can create a fire, if you do the necessary mistakes for it to function.
Jack & Liz, you did a good job on your wiring.
My own personal experience with the BB electrical engineer and what he told me, well, I keep my opinion to myself on that one. You all just be careful.
FWIW
Old 01-24-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
My own personal experience with the BB electrical engineer and what he told me, well, I keep my opinion to myself on that one. You all just be careful.
FWIW
Juergen,

We're adults, we can handle it. Spill the beans.
Old 01-25-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Juergen,

Nothing personal here, but in general terms when some personalities clash...............Most of the time, but sometimes, well......................................

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Nothing personal here, but in general terms when some personalities clash...............Most of the time, but sometimes, well......................................

Sad but true. <sigh>

Regards,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 01-25-2010

I still like your modification

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-25-2010

Quote:
Juergen,

Hi David
Ok, here are the beans. It is not personal at all. Really. I asked the BB engineer that my lead acid batteries are too thirsty for water. One gallon per year for 4 group 31 batteries. Is it possible that the chargers are just set too high on 14V+ and slowly boiling them??
His reply was not to worry about that and it takes just longer to charge batteries at the set voltage of the BB chargers. Well, true, but what if you forget to water your batteries weekly like on a long hot day/trip? Now, after I studied batteries for the last several years, I could nurture them just fine, but how many of you are experts in deep cycle batteries and their maintenance.? So, he gave NOT a good answer.
At a RIV, my fridge would not work on 120VAC. The field Rep and our BB engineer both checked, guessed' cussed and replacing e-boards, and concluded that my Inverter is sending radio signals out,confusing the fridge circuit board. (The $400. type) HMMM.
I found later a burned contact in the 120 VAC circuit which was the problem. No electric current flow, no working appliance. Another BB tech advised me to go to west marine and not buy BB E-stuff. FWIW. I did so and never had problems again. AGM Batteries, smart chargers, Catastrophy fuses, etc.
My conclusion is: Read this forum, take notes or copy the URLs, ask Randy or Stephen or John and all the others, and you will get GOOD answers.

I just made reservation in Myrtle Beach for the Birds on the Beach.
Old 01-26-2010

Jack, I took a look at your pics with interest as we have the same model year.

I find that your 250 amp fuse stands in the way of power to all the shunts. in your first pic (prior to the mod you made) the feed protected by the pipeclamp fuse, picks up 12vdc off top of the main power line connected to the shunts so the shunts are powered by the big gauge battery wire and not protected by the pipeclamp fuse. With ith your double fuse set up, the inverter and the shunts are now protected but powered thru a lighter gauge wire and 5 additional connection points

I notice that you have some wire split loom that are melted. I also have some melted that I looked at after Robs fire and first kinda felt it is a failure with the heat shield not protecting wires in that location but found other split looms have no damage close by. I followed the wire to a pump or valve behind the house battery tray that seems to direct hydronic fluid??? during some command for heat???? ( I have a BB installed Wabasto) when I follow the wire loom to the command side it goes to a larger loom and there is additional evidence of prior heat issues. one other point is there are different color zipties which can indicate after production modification . Interestinly I saw the same melted loom on a 94pt at Q (Ed A). My intent is to ;check the amp draw of the pump or valve, ;learn its purpose then ;see if the wire is fuse protected and of sufficient size.

Today I found some time to look at my bus shunt area and found the 250 amp pipeclamp fuse is also removed. the pipeclamp is there but no fuse . this is not to say that there is not protection elsewhere but PO (Previous Owner) Mods scare me. a 250 amp fuse may be setup near the inverter but the inverter is a mod I made and I dont remember seeing one????

One other mod to look at on your bus is the little addon wire connected to the battery terminal. Often used cars have PO mods where some appliance was added or an appliance was re-powered threw a path that is not fuse protected.

I hope criticism and critique was the intent for your post. I cant imagine that you would post pics of modified electrical connections to win peer approval.
Old 01-26-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

I think he has done a good deal on the way to protect the bus elec

but..............you would need knife switch's at all batt to have a fail safe when you are not in coach with is nuts..

gotta take a chance with some of this or have some brain cells working to fix or ????? I want to know for my old sp it has the same big wire running to ft and the wires could be rubbing somewhere...

what do we think will fix this asking smarter than me~
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571