Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-17-2008

Default Racor Question

Jeff, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. The oil pressure manifold hangs from the frame rail just to the rear of the start motor. It has an oil line coming to it, from the side of the block. Also attached to it are, 1) the oil pressure sending unit, which operates the guage on the dash, 2) the 6 PSI oil pressure sensor, which is wired to the small negative post of the small solenoid. Both of these units have 1 wire each. Once again, when the start cycle tries to operate, the first small solenoid is isolated from ground, it looks to the second small soleniod for that ground. The small negative post of the first soleniod is attached to the large left hand post of the second solenoid. The large left hand post of the second solenoid is attached to body ground. When power (+) is applied to both of the small (+) posts of these two solenoids, the second solenoid looks to the 6PSI for ground, if it is there, the solenoid closes, connecting body ground to the small negative post of the first solenoid, which closes, and allows power to flow to the starter. If there is not sufficient oil pressure against the sensor it will not provide the necessary ground, and the start circuit will not work. Once you figure it out it is a very elegant solution to what I do not know. But it works!!! Dennis Davis 1983 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-17-2008

Default Racor Question

Jeff, Sorry, substitute "large right hand post of the second solenoid is attached to body ground" for "large left hand post........." Dennis Davis 1983 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-17-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Dennis and Jeff,

Good call Dennis I had forgotten about that pressure switch.

Several years ago while trying to figure out where the 3 sensors for my Engine Alarm Module (Oil pressure, Coolant level and Coolant temperature) were located I ended up in the area that you guys are talking about.

I found that the small Oil Pressure Manifold on my 84 ½ PT-36 had 3 devices on it:

1) The sending unit for the oil pressure gauge on the dash.
2) The “Pressurestat” (a 3 psi oil pressure switch) for the Kysor Engine Alarm Module
3) The pressure switch that you have described.

As far as how it works and why it's used:

I don’t have a schematic for the starter circuit but I think the pressure switch you are talking about is a safety to prevent engaging the starter while the engine is running.

I think it’s a normally closed switch that is closed as long as there is no oil pressure (engine not running) which allows the starter to engage like Dennis says.

However, I think that when the engine starts and builds oil pressure the switch opens so that the starter can not be engaged while the engine is running.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 06-18-2008

John,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I was trying to figure out how the starter could start when the 6psi pressure switch had no pressure. What you have said makes since of the manifold setup. A lot of good info in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff....Keep digging. I think you are getting close.

Glenn
Old 06-21-2008

Default ======= Great News! ==========

Dennis! I owe you big time! Thank you so much for your help! The oil Psi switch was the problem on mine too. I went to Napa and bought a new one...put it in and for the first time in months my bus fired right up!!!! I laughed and WOOOO HOOOED !!! Thanks again to Randy and everyone else that help me with this odd problem. Great to have people out there like you guys!
1997 LX
Redding, California
Old 06-21-2008

Outstanding!!!!!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-22-2008
Forum owner

thanks go out to Dennis!
i learned something today,and thats a good thing!
Jeff,thanks for keeping us informed.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-22-2008

Default Racor Question

John, you could be right. All I know is that my rig would not start and it took me 2 weeks and much greif from my wife, many calls to Bluebird, before I finally checked the negative side of the circuit. Once I tracked it down to this 6PSI switch, I discovered that I could jiggle the wire and intermittently it would allow the circuit to work, but not consistently until I jumped around the second solenoid directly to body ground. Jeff, many many congratulations to you for getting your bus to start. Glad you found the problem!!!! Dennis Davis 1983 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-22-2008

Default Racor Question

By the way, I finally found my copy of Bluebird's diagram of the start circuit and would be pleased to share it with anyone who has a fax # and would like a copy. Someone who surpasses me in computer literacy (not hard!!) may be able to scan it and post it permanently. Dennis Davis, 1983 PT35, LOONEYBIN, Las Vegas, NV