Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-27-2010

Default Where to find parts for 391 Ford

I can just feel some of you guys smiling at my question...

I am thanking God today that I noticed this before going anywhere, but I had to move the bus earlier and when I got out after moving it, I saw a trail of oil... A heavy trail at that. After adding 2 quarts, I had my wife start her up and I could see a stream of oil pouring off the oil filter housing/assembly. I haven't touched it yet, but am about to slide under there again to see what is going on. I'm sure I will have to remove the filter, so I figured if I can stop the leak, I would go ahead and change the oil while I was at it... But I am having a hard time finding a filter! I am sure someone out there can point me in the right direction... It looks like the drop in type enclosed in a permanent housing... correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Marc
1974 FC31 (past)
Old 08-27-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
I can just feel some of you guys smiling at my question...

I am thanking God today that I noticed this before going anywhere, but I had to move the bus earlier and when I got out after moving it, I saw a trail of oil... A heavy trail at that. After adding 2 quarts, I had my wife start her up and I could see a stream of oil pouring off the oil filter housing/assembly. I haven't touched it yet, but am about to slide under there again to see what is going on. I'm sure I will have to remove the filter, so I figured if I can stop the leak, I would go ahead and change the oil while I was at it... But I am having a hard time finding a filter! I am sure someone out there can point me in the right direction... It looks like the drop in type enclosed in a permanent housing... correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Marc

Marc,

The filter element itself may have a part number either printed on it or stamped into the filter element itself, sometimes the outside of the filter housing will have the required filter element part number on it somewhere.

Keep us posted.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-27-2010

Mark, I think the # your looking for is Car Quest #85004 for the cart type or the standard FL 1. Those # are for a F700 1974 ford truck. Hope that works. Good luck.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-27-2010

Thanks guys, I have the new filter in hand. Hope this does the trick.

Marc
1974 FC31 (past)
Old 08-27-2010

Mark, Post the # so other 391 owners will know please.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-27-2010

Marc. FWIW They sell a kit to change that over to a spin on. Not sure about the Fords, But I have done a few small block chevys.
I get the kits at Napa. The last one I did was 3 years ago.
Maybe worth a call, for the next time.
Not clear .... is the oil leak from the filter, or the sending unit?
Old 08-27-2010

The oil was leaking from the gasket. I probably could have just tightened it in retrospect, but I figured the gasket was dried out or pinched. It needed an oil change anyway... Peace of mind and all that. Man was it gushing!

Screw on oil filter would be easier to deal with for sure. Even after I tightened up the can with the new filter in it, it leaked a little. Had to torque it down harder than I would have thought to stop the leak. Some serious pressure pushing it through the filter. All is good now.

For those who might be interested, the NAPA # is 1004. For some reason, they have another oil fiter with the same number for a car, but I showed them the old one and they knew right where to go for it.

The fellow at Advance gave me some cross reference numbers too.
FRAM: CH6PL
AC Delco: PF210
PUROLATOR: L30048
1974 FC31 (past)
Old 08-28-2010

Mark: I have a 390 "Truck" gas engine In the BB INN, the only part I had trouble with was the RT exhaust manifold, but I found one close and had a shop move the exhaust pipe. OEM was a 330 industrial gas engine. I did not install the engine, The Bus garage did it before I got the bus, and they put a hotter cam in it! They left the 330 flywheel on (wrong type) so I changed to the Ford Truck Universal one and fixed that. I also had the manual 5 speed rebuilt. Then most everything else after that over the years!!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!