Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-09-2011

The thought of taking a coach to just any shop gives me the *******. To have that shop just replace anything and everything- or not replacing things but still charging makes me cringe. I'm glad we have a bird owner that has an ethical shop.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 06-09-2011
Slow Learner

Thanks for that information, Donn. High praise, indeed and well worth the trip to Seguin. It will be interesting to find out the differences between the 6v and the 8V when it comes to those dang compressor coolant hoses.
2007 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Old 06-09-2011

I'm just going to get on the bandwagon on this issue also. I took mine in last year to a local shop to have these compressor hoses replaced. They showed them to me when they were done. They were in pieces because when they worked on them to get the out they just fell apart. They put the good high grade silicone hydraulic hoses on as replacements. I feel very fortunate to have them replaced before they came apart on the road. If there is anybody that hasn't changed them out yet you may regret it. They guys that worked on mine were very knowledable about the 8v92, because they serviced all the fire trucks in town. Almost all of them had the 8v92 except for some of the newer trucks. I guess that would be my suggestion to anyone near a large enough town that has a full-time fire deprtment. Ask them if they have or had any 8v92s and who worked on them and if they had any problems with the service.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-09-2011

Got an appointment next Thursday at Coachworx for the coolant hose replacement.

Susan and Dean Toensing
Boerne, Texas
210-842-1967
1989 40'PTWB "Tara Farm"
Old 06-09-2011

Dean-

I had my coolant hoses replaced at Coachworx in January. They were OK when we took them out but I am still glad to not have to constantly worry about when they might blow and ruin my engine.

I have a cross-island bed (the headboard is below the driver's side bedroom window) and I don't know the layout of your coach, but you can save some $ by removing and replacing the bedroom floor yourself.

Here is a pic of the engine compartment with the bedroom floor removed:

Here is a pic after the hoses were replaced:

Notice that the plywood "ear" in the upper right has been removed as Randy suggested (don't ask his advice and then ignore it!). This area (and the other "ear") are covered by the metal plate above it and serves no purpose other than to get in the way while you are working on the engine. Removing it made it much easier to replace the alternator a few weeks later.

I also followed Randy's advice and installed a piano hinge on the piece of plywood bed platform that sticks out over this area. Not only does this make it easier to work back here without removing a bunch of screws, but it gives me some additional storage for lightweight rarely-used items.

Coachworx is a great place to get your 'Bird worked on. I have found them to be dependable, knowledgeable, and very fair. You can also stay in your coach while it is being worked on and even do some repairs yourself, if you are so inclined.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 06-09-2011
Forum owner

the guys at coachworx are awesome,tell Rick hello.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-09-2011
Consistently clueless

When I picked my coach up this afternoon, Clyde brought the old hoses to show me. I have them in a bag in the bus... in pieces just as John describes. Honestly I don't know how I made it to the shop with them in that condition. Then He showed me the replacement hose material... a high pressure hydraulic hose with steel sheathing. Very flexible.

Before departing, Clyde spent about an hour instructing me on proper care and feeding of my Bird. He also told my niece, who had picked me up from the airport and delivered me to his shop, that if she was ever in the Seguin area and had a problem, that she should call. His very words... "You have a friend in Seguin.

About two hours down the road my cellphone rang. Looking at caller ID I saw it was Clyde. He was just checking on me to make sure all was going well. Hard to put a price on that kind of value.

Now that I have the hot water figured out (THANKS LEROY!) all I need is a propane fill and I'm ready for prime time.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 06-10-2011

Default 8V92 compressor coolant hose replacement

Had all my hoses replaced last year at CoachCraft in Columbus, GA when my hydraulic pump was replaced. Big Glenn Rodgers just barely could get his hands in the engine compartment through the bedroom access hatch, but he "got'er done". The old hoses when removed looked OK, but they were so brittle you could bend them and they would snap like a dry twig.

Very scary when you think about one of those old hoses could break and destroy an engine in seconds. Which has happened to at least one of our members BTW

The new "green" silicone hoses are supposed to last many years. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 06-11-2011

Do the new silicone hoses have to be made or can they be bought somewhere?
Old 06-11-2011

Bought mine from my local parts guy. He is not affiliated with any of the cheap do it yourself stores.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net