Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-21-2009
davidmbrady

It's kinda goofy, they only need to put it in the liner. Seems like there's more to it. Any metallurgists out there? Stainless steel is an alloy of iron, nickel, and chromium and guess what, it gets brittle. When things get harder, to withstand cavitation for instance, they tend to get brittle, and at these combustion pressures, DD needs flexibility. Just my 2 cents. :-)
Old 05-02-2010
Skidder

Default Engine.

To all:

I have a newbie question about current engines. What is the difference between a Detroit Series 60 and Detroit 8V92?

Also, I have been wondering about the Cummins engines. What do the designations, MC11, ISM, and ISL mean? It is onlly horsepower, or is it torque? Thanks in advance for anyone's help, and of course I am remembering "that no question is stupid" LOL

Wannabee
Old 05-02-2010

Art
The 6v92 (6 cylinder, V configuration, 92 cu inches per cylinder) and the 8v92 ( 8 cylinder........) are 2 stroke engines. Their design is originally from the late 30's or 40's. Very good engine, lots of power, simple operation. Originally they were mechanically controlled and then eventually computer controlled in an effort to make them run cleaner to meet EPA standards.
The series 60 is a 6 cylinder in line 4 stroke engine. Cleaner more efficient and a newer design. Also lots of power and computer controlled.
Hope this helps.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 05-02-2010

Default 8V92 Article

According to what I was told a while back at W.W. Williams in Birmingham, the German Firm that bought DD, 2 strokers are still being made in abundance, for (guess who) - Uncle Sam. He's smart - the engine that helped us beat the Nazis and the Yellow Peril is still worth keeping.
Old 05-12-2010

Rob.. If I'm not mistaken, the authors name is Jim Scogins.
Old 05-12-2010
Forum owner

Jim Scoggins was killed working under a coach a few years ago.
He was one of the good guys.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-13-2010
Forum Moderator

Thanks Jim and Randy. It always bugged me that I didn't have the authors name so now I've gone back and corrected that and wherever it was quoted.
Old 09-03-2010
Itchintogo

Now this may get alot of different responses but having been a CAT man I am curious and need help as to what is the usual main culprit in engine failure in the 8V92 in a Wanderlodge.

I assume they only get 5 to 6 MPG in a PT. Correct?

I am looking at several units right now and one DD powered one and I am a bit wary. The coach has been sitting "albiet" inside for awhile with low mileage and has pretty spotty maintenance from what I can see.

The engine fires right off and sounds very good, drives very well, doesn't smoke too much and it is a Silver 8V92. I believe it is mechanical version as the computer did not start until 88 or 89 correct? What should I look for? What are the killer things to watch out for? I did notice an oil leak and the back of the engine midway up but it did not seem too serious.
Old 09-03-2010

for what its worth - i think the cost of nickel was what caused its content in engine blocks to lower and not just in the 8v92 seems like all blocks changed at about the same time. mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 09-04-2010

Cavitation and bubbles imploding are a hard concept to understand. ford had issues with cavitation when they bored the 6.9 into a 7.3 which made the cyl walls thinner. I think more important than bubbles in your coolant is electrical condectivity. poor grounds and all the auxiliary electrical systems on the bus combined with conductive coolant will drop a liner.
I am of the thinking that that stray current took out the liner of a 92 Texas Bird and not a notorious faulty coolant line to the compressor. shortly after the resulting engine failure was replaced, a large grounded short made larger contact to metal and did farther damage. a lost coolant line would have caused a ddec shutdown prior to the heat of the line failure taking out a liner.