Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-16-2008

Probably not the neutral safety switch, as it starts without having to do anything to it. That should prevent starter engagement, so since the starter works (spins, just no start, right?); there's something else going on.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 06-16-2008
Forum owner

from what i'm reading,hes wired around the switch,by adding a jumper at the back,and by jumping with a screwdriver at the starter.

did I read it wrong?
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-16-2008

The netural safety checked out ok, and yes I am using a jumper wire from the battery directly to the starter solenoid and it fires right up.
1997 LX
Redding, California
Old 06-16-2008

Default Racor Question

Jeff, Randy, on my '83 PT35 I once had a similar issue which ended up costing me $1000.00 only to finally discover that the problem was a 6PSI oil pressure sensing switch, on the oil pressure sending unit manifold, which provides ground to the starting system. I finally figured it out after replacing/rebuilding all other parts of the system. Even had the techs at BlueBird puzzled. It is a $3.00 part. My wife almost divorced me over it since it stranded us in one of the armpits of the western US. When I finally figured it out, I laughed til I thought I'd die. Not even BlueBird could figure it out. You can test by bypassing the 2nd solenoid directly to ground. Hope this helps !!!! Dennis Davis 83 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-16-2008

Hi Dennis, where on the 6v92 would I find these solenoids? THANKS!!
1997 LX
Redding, California
Old 06-16-2008
Forum owner

interesting!
i never heard of that before.
the manifold is down by the starter in the frame rail,(i think)
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-16-2008

Default Racor Question

Jeff, the two solenoids are the two small, four post solenoids inside the frame rail that hangs down and crosses between the engine and transmission. If you follow the wires away from them, you will find that oneof them goes to a funny looking little thing on the oil pressure manifold, which is on the bottom of the frame rail just to the rear of the starting motor. The funny little thing is a 6PSI sensor that has to have oil pressure against it to close the switch and provide ground to the starter circuit. Good Luck!! and be careful under there. Dennis Davis 83 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-16-2008

Hi Dennis, I had the two solenoids changed last week. My mechanic thought they were the starting solenoids. Does the bottom one go to the oil pressure thingy? I know the top solenoid must be the starting solenoid because it recieves a signal with a turn of the ignition. I did see where there is an oil pressure sensor and then another thing above that with one wire going to it....is that the ( 6psi oil pressure thingy?) How could I test it to get it to close? Thank you!
1997 LX
Redding, California
Old 06-16-2008

Default Racor Question

Jeff, look at the two solenoids. The one which has the wire running to the funny little thing on the OP manifold provides ground to the other solenoid which, in turn allows (+) power to flow to the actual starter solenoid on the starter itself. Take a jumper wire and jump around the ground solenoid (which has the wire running to the OP manifold), thereby giving ground to the other solenoid. If the 6 PSI switch is the problem the engine will start and run with this jumper in place. You might want to see if you can get someone to fax you a diagram of the start circuit. With the diagram it is easier to trace this ground circuit. Hope I have helped!!! Dennis Davis 83 PT35 LOONEYBIN Las Vegas, NV
Old 06-16-2008

Dennis, is the OP manifold a cylindrical shaped tube with one wire going to it that is right above the oil pressure sending unit? Thanks for all your help!!
1997 LX
Redding, California