Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-04-2012

Default Blown Engine "Rapid Overheating - No Warning"

Well as a few of you know already, about a month ago on our way home to Syracuse, NY we blew our engine. We were just topping that big climb on rt 81 north going into Virgina from NC. We had to be towed from there all the way to home (wonderful, but we didn't use a drop of fuel). We have it in an excellent shop up here who we do a lot of business with. They informed us that they can do an in-frame rebuild, so there is a bit of a savings. As of now it is broken down and both heads are being rebuilt with all new parts, a complete engine kit - sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. We are also putting in a new water pump and new belts and hoses. They are also rebuilding the fan hydraulic motor and flushing the radiator. The reason we lost the engine was rapid over heating with no warning. They informed me that they have had a lot 8V92's with this problem. So be careful, I think because of this I'm going to install the Silver Leaf system to monitor the engine while driving.
Well happy motoring.
Old 06-04-2012

Butch, do they think the hydraulic fan motor was the problem?
"The Aviary"
Old 06-04-2012
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Butch,

Sorry to hear this. Wow, that stinks. Sounds like you have faith in the guys rebuilding it and you wil be good to go again soon.

Beyond stating "rapid overheating" as the cause, was there any evidence of a specific issue like a busted hose?

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 06-04-2012
Forum Moderator

Butch so sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you have found a good shop.
Old 06-04-2012
95 WB 42

Butch

Sorry for your trouble,hope it's resolved "painlessly".
My concern is the rapid overheating with no warning.
I have Hugh T's old coach that suffered the same thing it's a 6V92
Problem was traced to a blown lower radiator hose,no warning was traced to rusted/grounded low coolant sensor in radiator on that unit.
Tommy Rountree and I checked his last time he was here and found his to be non functioning,his is an 8V92 and located on coolant tank,he had it repaired at Coachworks.
I don't think the temp gauge responds as quickly as the low coolant sensor for protection. The coolant sensor is grounded by the coolant if it's grounded by debris/rust it will not give warning.

Good Luck

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-04-2012

Can you tell me the procedure for checking the low coolant sensor on our 89' PT40?
Thanks

Susan and Dean Toensing
Boerne, Texas
210-842-1967
1989 40'PTWB "Tara Farm"
Old 06-04-2012

I believe Ed Wimberley checked mine by pulling the ground wire loose while the engine was running. No signal/no warning = catastrophe in waiting.

I'd recommend replacing it with a brand new one whether the old one is working or not. Cost, I believe was $49.00 bucks or so. I'll see if I can run down a part number. Somebody else may have it handy already though.

Ed's comment - "Would you like to know how a $50.00 part can save $20,000.00?"
Old 06-04-2012

The cooling systems on all of these old buses is suspect. I would venture that most of them should have their radiators pulled and cleaned out or recored all hoses replaced and sensors checked or replaced. Lets face it if you blow one of those main radiator hoses you are going to dump all of the coolant in a heart beat. More then likely it's toast at that point.

I've replaced the hoses I plan on doing the radiator in the near future as well as the fan.

It's a little scary just how much we depend on keeping these engines cooled and lubricated. If you can manage that they seem to run pretty much for ever. If you don't they die quickly.

Sorry about the bad luck and thinks for posting to help save some of the rest of us from the same.

I believe Shane is redoing his this weekend. I follow in Shane's path pretty closely.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
Well as a few of you know already, about a month ago on our way home to Syracuse, NY we blew our engine. We were just topping that big climb on rt 81 north going into Virgina from NC. We had to be towed from there all the way to home (wonderful, but we didn't use a drop of fuel). We have it in an excellent shop up here who we do a lot of business with. They informed us that they can do an in-frame rebuild, so there is a bit of a savings. As of now it is broken down and both heads are being rebuilt with all new parts, a complete engine kit - sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. We are also putting in a new water pump and new belts and hoses. They are also rebuilding the fan hydraulic motor and flushing the radiator. The reason we lost the engine was rapid over heating with no warning. They informed me that they have had a lot 8V92's with this problem. So be careful, I think because of this I'm going to install the Silver Leaf system to monitor the engine while driving.
Well happy motoring.
butch . your story is a night mare to us all . iam so sorry and know that our emergency funds dont allow for a 20 k repair
could i ask you about the towing portion ? did you have Good Sam ? did you have to pay for the tow to your home state repair facility ? i recently was unable to move my coach the warning light would come on every 5 or so seconds . turned out to be a loose coolant wire. again iam sorry for your loss.

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 06-04-2012
Itchintogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoensing View Post
Can you tell me the procedure for checking the low coolant sensor on our 89' PT40?
Thanks
Take the wire off the sensor. if you do not get an alarm it is not working. Take the sensor out and make sure it is not all rusted either.