Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Tommy, I don't know what is monitored on the II. Someone will have to give you that. But what ever the engine computer sees, the silverleaf will read. The coolant level on the II may not go into the engine computer on yours, I was just guessing it did.
But to answer your question,
Yes it would be worth it to me to have accurate oil pressure and water temp, or a second ck of the two. That is the two gage reading that made me buy mine.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-05-2012
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Mallie: I have wanted the silverleaf for some time, but with the DDEC II 8 v 92 its function is very limited. I've asked this before, but I'll do it again, would it be worth getting the the silverleaf when all the reporting data I can receive is oil pressure, temps and RPMs?
Tommy I have a Silverleaf now and had one in my 94 as well. In my 94 it provided much more than just what you've mentioned. You can also hook up a pair of speakers to your computer and set the Silverleaf program to warn you if any particular engine parameter goes south. I hooked up auxiliary speakers because I was afraid road noise would overpower the smallish computer speakers. Silverleaf will also provide you diagnostics of many engine/tranny issues in plain language rather than flashing light code. You can download the program and see the many features first hand before you buy it. Here's the link

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/
Old 06-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Thanks Rob.
I think this is the cheapest place to buy the system.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Silver...PC-p/vmspc.htm

This company is just a seller, system is shipped driectly from SilverLeaf. And the customer service is to silverleaf. The best customer service you will fined. They will walk you through all set up and make it work, no mater how dumb you are on a computer.
$306.25 plus shipping or shipping may be free.
BTW,, camping world has some interesting engine monitoring equipment too. Just out, not sure what all is monitors, but is an all in one and does not require a computer.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com

Last edited by Mallie Lennon; 06-05-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: forgot to include the link
Old 06-05-2012
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Thanks Rob.
I think this is the cheapest place to buy the system.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Silver...PC-p/vmspc.htm

This company is just a seller, system is shipped driectly from SilverLeaf. And the customer service is to silverleaf. The best customer service you will fined. They will walk you through all set up and make it work, no mater how dumb you are on a computer.
$306.25 plus shipping or shipping may be free.
BTW,, camping world has some interesting engine monitoring equipment too. Just out, not sure what all is monitors, but is an all in one and does not require a computer.
Good find. I stopped in at the factory and I believe I paid more buying there.
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
I will try to address everyone,s questions here if I miss anyone ask again. 1) We can't be sure if it's the hydraulic motor or the radiator until the rebuilt engine is up and running. 2) The sensors all were working prior to this, but I may be replacing them anyway. 3) the hoses all looked good but are being replaced. 4) The tow was $2300.00 but it would have cost me about $850.00 in fuel to get home from there it brings the tow down t0 $1450.00.
By the way the tow trucks used ( we had two, one to Penn. border and from there the other home ) had the ability to raise the coach by the front wheels and it worked out great. The last guy was doing seventy all the way into Syracuse. Also should you need a tow don't let them send anything under 50 ton.

thank you butch , great point aboutthe fuel to get home being calculated .

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 06-05-2012

Thanks for all the input guys. I will look into the sensor and the Silver Leaf. Like I say for $300 plus all it has to do is head off one problem and it paid for itself.
Fruita Colorado
Old 06-05-2012
Geek

On the 90 DDEC II (I don't know if later DDEC IIs offered more) the important ones I don't get are engine oil temp, coolant sensor, and nothing at all from the transmission.

I monitor speed (at least on mine, the MPH is exactly right, as shown by many comparisons with GPS, radar signs, and measured miles), RPM, coolant temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, instant fuel flow, immediate mileage, other calculated mileages, fuel remaining (calculated), turbo pressure, engine load percentage, throttle position, set cruise speed. I think that's it.

The voltage the DDEC sees is different than seen by dash gauge or even my xantrex readout. It alerted me both with its low value and jumping around that my block was badly grounded; I get much better voltage consistency (but still in the low 13s) since I ran a heavy ground wire to a block bolt.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
On the 90 DDEC II (I don't know if later DDEC IIs offered more) the important ones I don't get are engine oil temp, coolant sensor, and nothing at all from the transmission.

I monitor speed (at least on mine, the MPH is exactly right, as shown by many comparisons with GPS, radar signs, and measured miles), RPM, coolant temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, instant fuel flow, immediate mileage, other calculated mileages, fuel remaining (calculated), turbo pressure, engine load percentage, throttle position, set cruise speed. I think that's it.

The voltage the DDEC sees is different than seen by dash gauge or even my xantrex readout. It alerted me both with its low value and jumping around that my block was badly grounded; I get much better voltage consistency (but still in the low 13s) since I ran a heavy ground wire to a block bolt.
Don, I guess I am kinda slow today. You have that Silver Leaf stuff in your coach, right?

Regards,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 06-05-2012
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Don, I guess I am kinda slow today. You have that Silver Leaf stuff in your coach, right?

Regards,
Liz
Yes. I think I've posted this image before, but it is how I run mine (the program is extremely customizable) along with Street Atlas:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vmspcscreen.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	16568  
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-07-2012

Checked on coach yesterday and they were slipping in the last two pistons and sleeves. I imagine by now the heads are in place, so it looks like we're coming into the home stretch. They are planning to scope the radiator and see whats going on in there. That's all for now.