Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2012

Default Series 60 Water Pump Leak

The water pump started leaking, drat. I cleaned it off and looked for the source. It only leaks after the system has come up to temperature, and stops after cool down. In cool down it drops less than 1/4 cup.

There is a mounting bolt on the lower side as well as a small hose and a larger hose. The drips come from the head of the bolt (which is tighter than I can make it). Also it gets wet an inch or so away from that bolt head, but there seems to be no source. The fittings are dry and the hoses, too. It isn't s[praying, just slowly leaking.

A maintenance facility said on the phone this means the internal seal has started leaking and coolant is coming out a weep hole, requiring the entire pump to be replaced. I know that is true for a car, but what about this big pump? Since I can't see any weep hole, I am wondering if they are just parts changers.

Has anyone had this problem?
Old 06-08-2012
prone to wandering

Ron, the weep is on the bottom of the pump, in the centre, at the lowest point. They are very much like an automotive pump, once they start leaking it is time to change them.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 06-09-2012

I looked for the weep hole and cannot find it. Must be there. Aaron Wimbush (WOG's good samaritan) is going to look at it tonight. He checked and found several water pump configurations on the S-60. Does anyone know a part number for the 1995 Series 60 water pump?
Old 06-09-2012

I had a similar situation with a cold water leak . I took a mirror and found a number of hose clamps on the Back side of the pump that I could not see from the bottom or the back of the pump . Not easy to get to but I was able to get these tightened up and stop the leaks. Not to say this could be your problem but worth a try .

Albert Rose
Old 06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
I looked for the weep hole and cannot find it. Must be there. Aaron Wimbush (WOG's good samaritan) is going to look at it tonight. He checked and found several water pump configurations on the S-60. Does anyone know a part number for the 1995 Series 60 water pump?
Ron, I'm replacing the water pump on my 8V92 for the same reason. The weep hole will be on the back side of the pump, on the bottom. It may or may not be visible. Mine is above the lower radiator hose--which made it look like the hose was leaking. I don't have part numbers for your S60, but the different configurations pertain to the direction of the hose fittings.
Paul
W Peoria, Illinois
Old 06-09-2012

I just replaced the one on my 96. It's Detroit Diesel #23522707 . Get it from Detroit Diesel. it's worth a little extra. Lot of cheap rebuilds out there.
Clem
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 06-09-2012

Quote:
Ron
I would get the pump replace, it will be much cheaper than having an engine overhauled. When engine water pumps starts to leak/weep it is time to replace. I would call Detroit Diesel for a replacement part it will be less costly in the end run.
2003 H3-45 S2
TGO Titusville, Florida
dukeflyer2507@att.net
248-935-5390
Old 06-09-2012
Thomas Rembert

My 93 did and my 97 does leak somewhere around the pump when the engine is below 35 degrees. Not much, just enough to make a film on stuff and a drip or two on the ground. I have not been able to see the weep hole.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Gainesville/Melrose FL
Old 06-09-2012

Thanks, guys, and thanks for the part number Dan. It is probably the same. I'll make arrangements to take it in to a DD dealer on Monday. Aaron couldn't find the weep hole either. We both decided I need to bite the bullet and get it changed along with the coolant filter hoses. What the heck, I'll just pull it out of the fuel money account. Probably won't even notice it with the price of fuel. ...NOT!

Will update you next week.
Old 06-18-2012

Quote:
The water pump started leaking, drat. I cleaned it off and looked for the source. It only leaks after the system has come up to temperature, and stops after cool down. In cool down it drops less than 1/4 cup.

There is a mounting bolt on the lower side as well as a small hose and a larger hose. The drips come from the head of the bolt (which is tighter than I can make it). Also it gets wet an inch or so away from that bolt head, but there seems to be no source. The fittings are dry and the hoses, too. It isn't s[praying, just slowly leaking.

A maintenance facility said on the phone this means the internal seal has started leaking and coolant is coming out a weep hole, requiring the entire pump to be replaced. I know that is true for a car, but what about this big pump? Since I can't see any weep hole, I am wondering if they are just parts changers.

Has anyone had this problem?
Yes, there is a week hole as gear drive pumps rely on this to prevent coolant getting into the lube oil past the gear drive shaft seal which is designed to keep oil in not coolant out. Leaking water pump seals on DDC Series 60 are as common as sparrows. Causes for water pump seal leakage can be use of excessive amounts of supplemental coolant additives which results in high levels of total dissolved solids which can lead to deposits on the seal faces. Another cause is use of hard water in engine coolant. Hard water will form deposits on seal faces. A radiator pressure cap that is defective can aid this situation by allowing coolant to boil in the water pump under high load engine operation. Wherever there is boiling in the cooling system, there will be deposits. The same reason why your electric water heater has scale form on the electric element.

Spike45
Gary Spires
Retired Cummins (Fleetguard) Field Engineer