Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-18-2012

Thanks, Gary. From now on I will be very careful not to let the DD dealer use tap water when changing antifreeze. I'd do it myself, but disposal is a problem.

So far the leak has not reoccurred. I am taking a trip this week, so we shall se if Murphy was only taking a nap.
Old 06-18-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Hey Ron the 'ol Lockheed SR71's leak too

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true

Last edited by Turbokitty; 06-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2012

60 series pumps have a plastic cover, o-ring, and snap ring on the pump that will leak. You can purchase a kit from Detroit to replace the cover for a lot less than a water pump.
"Short Bus"
Old 06-18-2012

Replacing a water pump on a s60 bird is a very hard and time consuming job. For an extra $225, I did put a DD rebuilt on mine. Thats something I don't want to have to do again.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
Replacing a water pump on a s60 bird is a very hard and time consuming job. For an extra $225, I did put a DD rebuilt on mine. Thats something I don't want to have to do again.
What did the pump cost overall?
Old 06-19-2012

The rebuilt pump is $319.26 exg from DD. I priced a Haldex rebuilt from Fleet Products for $190.00 exg. Probably another $150+ in silicone hoses and clamps from Flex Technologies. Be sure to get all stainless T-bolt clamps with springs on the T-bolts. A lot of them sell them with cad plate fasteners. A regular worm clamp will cut silicone hose. By the way, every silicone hose I took off mine was original and looked perfect. I just had a problem putting a 16 year old perfect hose back on. I had a broken WP bolt ( furtherest from block). Could not get out and ended up thru-drilling and spot facing where it came out on the front of the engine and putting a nut on a 7" long Gr8 bolt. It was solid all the way thru.

2 ea - 1-3/4” x 3” (for WP bypass tube) (PITA)
1ea - 2-1/2” 90 elbow 9” x 6” top of WP
2ea - 2-1/2 90 elbow 6"x 6" Radiator
2ea - 2-3/4” x 3” (for thermostat housing tube)
1ea - 1” x 24” (WP to Tank)
1ea – Hyd Hose – 3/8” x 12” Long - 3/8”45° Taper female swivel straight x same fitting except 90° elbow
1ea - Hyd Hose – 3/8” x 26” L - 3/8”45° Taper female swivel straight both ends. (Install before installing bypass tube or you'll be sorry)

Have Fun !!!!
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 06-20-2012

I see I misspelled "weep" by calling it "week". I should have mentioned that DDC and now Caterpillar do not consider a water pump to be "leaking" until the drip rate exceeds some number. At one time any drips from a water pump was cause for a warranty replacement. Obviously, as engine companies tighten their belts to reduce warranty costs, changing the definition of a leak is one of the ways they have accomplished cost savings and profits. If the pump only leaks or drips while the system is under pressure (assuming you have a good pressure cap) at the rate of one drop per minute the amount of coolant lost in 30 days is less than half a gallon. One gallon has 90,840 drops. So, it should take two months at pressure to leak one gallon. If you do not lose much or any coolant while shut down and cold system, I doubt that you need to address this. It becomes much more of a concern if you are losing a gallon per week.

If you can inspect the weep hole and find a mineral deposit or slight dampness, you are seeing a very slow coolant leak. Liquid coolant is evaporating leaving the dissolved additives as evidence. Wetness in the area is a sign of leak rate increasing but not failure...unless your definition of failure or a leak is 'any loss of coolant that shows moisture'. Unless the remanufactured pump uses the new carbide seal faces, you have the old technology graphite/alumina ceramic seal set. The cheap seal set just like in your car! I do not know if DDC or CAT offers a reman pump with carbide seals. Cummins does for some models. They are quite expensive.

If you change the pump, change the coolant as leakage can be driven by high levels of dissolved solids from years of adding SCA to coolant to protect against liner pitting.

One other coolant loss source can be silicon rubber coolant hose. Silicon rubber hose has a very long service life plus it is easy to remove from the metal pipe connections in your system. The fact they are easy to remove is why they leak easier than EPDM coolant hose. Silicon rubber does not stick to the connection thus relies heavily on the correct hose clamp and tightening torque. Silicon rubber hose is infamous for cold coolant leaks.
Old 06-20-2012
davidmbrady

I like that Gary. We think alike. I was just reaching for my calculator to add up the number of drops in a gallon when I saw that you did it for us!
Old 06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
The rebuilt pump is $319.26 exg from DD. I priced a Haldex rebuilt from Fleet Products for $190.00 exg.
Haldex is not some cheapie aftermarket if some think that. Haldex Concentric is an OEM water pump supplier to several engine companies. They are the source for Cummisn B5.9, ISB5.9 and 6.7 liter engines. Likely for several other models.
Old 06-21-2012

HI Gary,
Thanks for clarifying that. Haldex produces top notch products. I had already committed to the DD part when I got the price on the Haldex pump, otherwise I would have saved myself $129. I was refering to the China product that sells around $89-$150 on the internet. I was rather superized at the Haldex price from Fleet Products. Fleet products is a small chain in Tampa bay Area that competes with Fleet Pride for the truck parts market. Fleet Pride also has very good pricing. I feel I get took every time I go to my local NAPPPA for parts like that. The two Fleets are about 30% less on average.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net