Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Racor Fuel Filter elements

I needed to replenish my spare Racor filter element supply (2020’s for 1000FG and 2040’s for 900FG) so I called my local Detroit Diesel dealer - none in stock. I thought no problem Cincinnati has lots of Truck places… I checked with PeterBilt - no stock (they tried to cross the 2040 to something else - the book said it would work but we found that the holes in the ends of the elements were the wrong size) Sterling - no stock, NAPA 1 filter showing in the whole Cincinnati NAPA group, Kenworth - no stock, International - no stock, Freightliner - no stock, Diesel Injection Service CO Inc in Cincinnati - no stock, called a couple of RV Dealers - no stock. Finally found them at Sea Ray marina down on the Ohio river. My point is don’t count on being able to find Racor filter elements in stock everywhere out on the road - carry plenty of spares or you may have to order them and wait.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-04-2008

I always carry several with me, just in case I need to change it on the road(trash in the fuel, or.....). Better safe than sorry!!

Steve Gureasko
90WBWL40 Jus Chillin
Ponchatoula, La.
Old 09-04-2008

West marine has the 900 in stock and I have found the 1000 filter at O'reilly's auto parts.

Glenn
Old 09-04-2008

I got a case of the 2020's for the main racor and a case of the 2010's for the genny racor from these guys on ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/pbtxxx/

Price seemed OK, and a case is probably a lifetime supply for me (I hope!!)

Now I just have to change 'em!

Any pointers for a first timer changing the racor?? :}

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 09-04-2008
Forum owner

Joe,get a few wal-mart bags to keep in the coach (i'm sure you wife can help with this!)
take the top off the racor filter and then pull a bag down over the top of the filter housing.
then,grab the "bail" on top of the filter and pull it up gently,turning the filter back and forth as you pull up.

it will come free with a bang! the bag will keep the fuel from spraying onto your clothes.
if you do this right,pulling with one hand while holding the bag with the other you should be able to turn the filter over as it comes out of the housing and contain all the fuel in the bag.

when re-installing the new filter use the bag trick again,when you slide the filter into the housing it will again try to cover you with fuel.
i hope this makes sense!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-04-2008

A few years back, Racor changed the filter design (1000FG -> 1000FH). They still have the same element filter number, but the new elements (2020 and 2040) require a spacer to fit the older FG housings properly.

So, if you have a 1000FG, you could add the spacer so the FH elements would work in the FG. I believe most elements shipped are now the 2020 design for the FH which requires a spacer if placed into a FG housing.

There was a transition period when Racor shipped this spacer with the filter elements. You only need one spacer for the 1000FG and one for the 900FG. The spacer does not get changed with the filter element.

However, Racor no longer provides the spacer with the elements. I assume they believe everyone has now added a spacer to the older FG filter housings and they are saving the cost of not providing them when they are no longer needed. The problem is if your filter element has not been changed in a few years, then you might not have the spacer. The new filter elements will not work correctly until you add a spacer.

So, if you have recently acquired a vintage Bird and are changing your filter elements for the first time, be sure that the element being removed matches the element being installed (at the top). If you see a difference, then you might not have the spacer installed and that could lead to the new filter element not working correctly. The spacer sits right on top of the center shaft before inserting the new element.

Regards,

Glenn

Last edited by RAGster; 09-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2008

Glenn,
Do you know how "vintage" the filter needs to be to be the old style? I haven't changed mine yet and am not sure when they were changed last. Is the filter housing marked so I can tell which housing I have, the FG or the FH?
Good info to know!

Thanks!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-05-2008

Thanks Randy,

Sounds like a good trick!

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 09-05-2008
FOX

Default Changing Raco Filters

I carry at least two spare filters in the coach. I get mine from the Racor dealer but Wix makes the filter and it is normally available on the west coast at Napa as they sell Wix under the Napa label.

When changing filters, I put a kitchen garbage bag inside a plastic bucket placed under the filter housing. I drain a little diesel into the bag/bucket to get rid of any sediment or water, then pull the filter and place it in the bag/bucket and install the new filter.

I carry a gallon of diesel in an empty oil jug and use that to refill the filter housing. I have changed filters on the road several times and, if done properly, it neat and tidy and leaves no spilled fuel on the ground.

FOX

]
2003 LXI dble. slide
SERIES 60
Alaska & Mexico
Old 09-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Glenn,
Do you know how "vintage" the filter needs to be to be the old style? I haven't changed mine yet and am not sure when they were changed last. Is the filter housing marked so I can tell which housing I have, the FG or the FH?
Good info to know!

Thanks!!
I do not know when the change to the new housing / element was made. When I was last at West Marine, the still had one element with a spacer (old stock) and about 6 newer elements without the spacer.

Your housing should be labeled 1000FG or 1000FH. The label could be covered up by the mounting bracket or turned so it faces the frame. If you need the spacer and cannot find a filter with one included, I would think Racor could provide you with one.

Glenn