Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-09-2008
hturner 12

Out of fuel update

30 gallons of fuel in the tank filled the racor, replaced the the fuel filter craked open both out fuel lines on top of the fuel pump housing. Had my wife hold the pedal to the floor while she spun the engine over till it started. My PO had disconnected all of the alarms and I think some if the dash indicators. Reason for doing it he did not want to wake up any one up at 0600 with those nosiey buzzers going off. For now My fuel problem is solved. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Old 12-20-2008
hturner 12

yes Randy
Old 05-12-2011

Default Racor

Greetings Folks,
I finally got around to trying to get my Bird up to operating status after having purchased it in December 2010 and promptly ruining the batteries trying to start it up in single digit weather before heading south in my Lazy Daze for the winter. I installed 6 new golf cart batteries and it ran for about 30-40 seconds before dying. I checked the racor filter/separator for signs of water and noticed the sight bowl was only half full. Is this normal? I checked the manual and there was no info about the level. Any other advice? The Bird hasn't been driven for any distance in almost 2 years. Fuel tank is 1/2 full.

TIA
Old 05-12-2011
Gardner

The filter unit should be full to the very top, (the top of the unit, not just the top of the bowl-no air what so ever. THe bowl is for seeing if there is water or other debris collected by the Racor unit. There is likley a leak between the tank and the filter that is letting air into the system. Or, the fuel tank could be empty. Another possability is the pick up tube in the tank has rusted and is sucking air.

A good trouble shooting technique is to put a section of clear line in the input side of the filter fuel line to check for air bubbles. Take the top off the filter and fill it with diesel fuel or transmission fluid (Fresh transmission fluid is clean and burns like diesel, raw diesel fuel can have contaminants). Then you should be able to start the engine after a bit of cranking. If you do get some junk in the system the secondary filter will catch it.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 05-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2011
Gardner

Here is another thread that covers the situation very wello.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...cett+fuel+pump
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-12-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Here is another thread that covers the situation very wello.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...cett+fuel+pump

Dennis,

I'm combining your thread with the one that Gardner suggested that you read Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > Engine won't start out of fuel / Low fuel level in Racor on a 6v92

To verify that you do have fuel in the tank if your fuel tanks configuration will allow this, using a flashlight simply look down the neck and look for fuel and / or stick a clean wooden dowel or broom stick down the filler neck to check th fuel level in the tank.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-01-2011

Many MHs now use low pressure priming pumps especially on Cummins ISL engines. The pressure is sufficient to prime new fuel filters (installed dry). Some pumps run at a steady output and some at an initial run of a few seconds then shut off on a time basis so that every start the fuel filter on the suction side of the transfer pump has a slight positive head pressure.
Old 06-01-2011

To add a priming pump, can you use a simple fuel pump and install with a check valve in a parallel circuit? I know on the Detroit Diesel two strokes, the fuel is returned to the tank in a constant flow when the engine is running. If I added a pump and check valve in parallel, it should work to purge the air when changing filters?

thank you,

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
To add a priming pump, can you use a simple fuel pump and install with a check valve in a parallel circuit? I know on the Detroit Diesel two strokes, the fuel is returned to the tank in a constant flow when the engine is running. If I added a pump and check valve in parallel, it should work to purge the air when changing filters?

thank you,

Doug
If you are speaking of a CAT 3208, it has a hand priming pump filter head. For DDC, I am not certain and am hesitant to make a recommendation. I do know that the DDC S60 engine does use the continuous flow return loop fuel system. It uses the flow to cool the injectors and remove aeration back to the fuel tank. If you change fuel filters and wish to bleed air from the primary FF (suction side of the lift pump on the engine) you can use air pressure at no more than 3 to 5 PSI to push the fuel into the filter and purge air out IF there is a way to remove the air. You do not want to fill the filter and push the air into the fuel line to the lift pump. That may result in an engine 'no start' situation. Removing air from the injection circuits is no small task. KISS, prefill the filter with the center hole plugged with plastic caplug (hardware store) or use a rubber cork. Install the filter and start up. There will be some rough running, white smoke and then it will clear up when the much smaller amount of air is purged out.
Old 06-15-2011

Thanks to all who chimed in with advice for my problem. It turns out that a leak in the fittings going into the racor (where the return line connects) was to blame. I corrected the problem bled the fuel lines going into the spin on filter and with a little coaxing she started up.

YeeeHaaaa!