Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2008
davidmbrady

Same here Pete. The driving behavior is just like mine; after all, they are basically the same coach.

'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-17-2008

I really don't notice our toad at all, that said I've made sure the front end alignmnet for both the toad and the bus are right on.

The tag axle also helps you keep going straigth down the road and the weight certainly helps.

I think we can all agree the the Bird is a great ride and when conditions get back all you have to do is back off the speed a bit.

Someone mentioned the wind taking them out the door when they opened it in high winds. One of our friends wife was thrown out of the coach and broke her arm in just such and accident. My wife has very specific instruction to just let the door go in high winds and I reminder her whenever we're in that situation.

It's a lot easier to fix the coach than a wife.

I have also re-enforced that strap catch that stops the door from over opening. After the incident with my friend I took the door apart and found that the mounting holes were a bit elongated and a couple of screws were missing. I put a backer plate in and used high strength bolts and nylock nuts.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-17-2008
davidmbrady

Lance,

Did you swap out the strap too? My coach could use something stronger for the strap, perhaps heavy leather. What did you use?

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-17-2008

David:

I did this at least 8 years ago so I maybe a bit fuzzy on the details. If I remember correctly the strap is a very heavy piece of nylon, buried in the leather covering. At that time it seemed to me that strap itself was stong enough. It's like everything else you can go to any extreme you'd like.

To me the weak link was the screws/bolts and the attached to the very thin aluminum door skin.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-18-2008
Former Bird Owner

I've had a couple of incidents where I was surprised by winds grabbing the door, where I had to struggle a bit to control it. But this was the first time I was actually pulled from the step by the wind. My instincts from my years with a railroad came into play (getting on and off moving rail cars), so my landing was quite uneventful. The strap on the door is looking kind of stretched, now. I plan to consider doing something about the strap after the conclusion of our current trip.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 11-18-2008

The door of the coach is an amazing big "sail", try to open it with a strong wind from the right direction and you could have a problem. More than anything I thought it was something to make newer owners aware of.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-18-2008
davidmbrady

Sounds like you guys need to eat your Wheaties.

David
'02 LXi, NC
Old 11-18-2008
Forum Moderator

On my list is a proper restraining system for the door. Wind has pulled the door strap to maximum a couple of times causing breaks in the wiring associated with the strap. As a temporary measure I made a bungee loop and attached it to the horizontal grab bar on the door down to the vertical grab bar on the right side entrance. It adds signficant restraint and retracts nicely out of the way when door is closed. It will keep the door safe until I find what I'm looking for. I might put on of those overhead folding metal restraint systems in.
Old 11-19-2008

Rob:

Sure would like to see what you come up with. Even though I'm selling my coach, it is an area of safety concern to me and I'd make the change, assuming it seemed reasonable to be.

Please post what you come up with.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-19-2008
davidmbrady

Same here, the existing door stop strap is barely adequate. We need to be careful that we don't take this to an extreme. A good solution will provide the strength needed, blend with interior decor, not rattle, not create a hazard, etc. Not a simple problem.

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC