Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2008

Default No turbo boost 6V92 85 PT40

Hi, New bird owner who noticed his first problem on the way home with it! Bus had been sitting almost 2 years when I bought it, has about 135K miles. Turbo boost gauge never reads more than 1 psi, and top speed runs 45 (level) to 51 (downhill). Uphill, I don't even want to talk about. Chassis plate says the engine is a 6V92. I called Blue bird, a very nice black gentleman told me 6v92's are red, 8v92's are silver. My engine is silver, but I'm pretty sure it's a six cylinder. Sure doesn't have any power, and driving it 20 miles is nerve wracking! I know diesels don't like to sit, so I'm pretty sure a popoff valve or something is sticking, but there are so many blankets and things on it, I'm unsure where to start looking. My new prize has already cost $1000 in new batteries and another $1000 to tag, so my wife ain't exactly thrilled! Anybody have any thoughts on what I should search for, or should I just go find out how badly the local Detroit folks treat RV owners?
Old 12-27-2008

Default Filters

Raleigh,

The 6V92 can also be silver in color. It would be known as a "Silver Series 6V92".
I think you should start with fuel filter replacement if you haven't done that already. The 6V92 flows alot of fuel and if you don't have enough fuel flow you get low power. I don't believe there is a blowoff valve or anything of the like. Are you seeing any smoke when running? Black, white, other???? Could help to narrow down the concern.

Oh, and wives will get over it eventually.........
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 12-27-2008
Former Bird Owner

I'd also check the air intake and air filter. Make sure a squirrel hasn't made a home in there. Roof mounted air intakes have a tendency to suck in leaves when parked under trees. Turbo boost gauge may be flakey but 6v92s (or 8v92s) have both a supercharger and a turbo charger, so they ought to be doing their jobs despite what the gauge reads. The engine isn't likely to run at all without the turbo boost.

As for the color of the engine ... well, in the last 20+ years, some one may have painted it.

The BB Plant in Ft. Valley is closed for the holidays until 1/5/09 -- whomever you talked to there, might well have been the night watchman.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 12-27-2008

Not getting wide open throttle, W. O. T.

Any Diesel truck shop can help you.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 12-27-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Raleigh,

An 85 should have the 6V92 with about 330 hp. It should run much better than what you are seeing. The 6V92 in my last Bird would easily boost over 15 psi and it would eaisly run at 70+ mph. I agree with Aaron that you should check for clogged fuel filters that could be starving it for fuel. You should have a Racor filter that has a remotely mounted gauge (mine was above the drivers head) if the gauge is in the red while you are driving then the Racor filter needs changed. You also have a fuel filter mounted on the engine that may need changed as well (no indicator on that one). Also as Pete says the air filter may be clogged - it should have an indicator on the filter housing to show when it is clogged. You may want to search this forum for instructions on changing the fuel filters so that you don't get too much air in the system. I suppose it’s possible that the turbo may not be spinning properly since it's been sitting so long. The engine starts by using the supercharger pressure and the supercharger supplies the pressure at low rpms but the turbo is what supplies the boost that you see on the gauge at higher rpms under load.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-27-2008

Mr Sexton, when did you call Bluebird & what tel # did you use? I've been trying to reach them, but no one answers except a holiday recording.
howie2017@aol.com

thanks

howie
Old 12-27-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie2017 View Post
Mr Sexton, when did you call Bluebird & what tel # did you use? I've been trying to reach them, but no one answers except a holiday recording.
howie2017@aol.com

thanks

howie
Howie,

Please read Macy's post #6 in this thread The End or extended season shutdown? that might explain why you cannot get anyone on the phone at the factory.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-28-2008

Raleigh- You have a 330 HP DD 6V92 Silver. Check the air cleaner, air intake and stack for leaves and other debris. I would guess that something is clogging your air flow. Do not run the engine with the air cleaner removed- get a replacement first and then wipe out (don't blow out) the air cleaner's housing. The filter number is usually on the metallic plate on top of the filter and you'll see it once you pull off the cap. Since you are in Okla, you may want to get to know Ralph Fullenwider. He has worked on some coaches and could surely help you with learning more about your coach and troubleshooting it. FWIW- a thousand $$ here and there is "par" for the course.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-28-2008
Senior

Check your Racor vacuum gauge in the overhead panel above the driver and see if its in the red. I have a feeling you may have a plugged
racor.Coaches sitting like that are notorious for breeding algae in the fuel tank. If you look at the filter and its black buy lots of filters. The Racor is located in the passengers side rear. Open up the side door where the batteries are and the Racor is on the extreme rear.

Its doubtful if the turbo is bad just from sitting.
6V92
Old 12-29-2008

Default updated information

Hi, thanks for your all your information. I got the coach in September, so that's when I called Bluebird. Coach has been sitting at a local RV dealership ever since, to get some things done. Beginning to wonder if they're going to work on it! They found the air filter and filter housing full of dirt daubers. It has a K & N filter which they cleaned, but it made no difference. They're supposed to do all the fluids and filters while it's there, but I've no idea what they've done to this point.

The Racor has a sight glass and a drain, got a teeny amount of water out of it. I haven't opened it to look at the filter, but I have read several threads on this forum about algae. Sounds like I need to get in the biodiesel business!! I'll talk to the service folks and see what they've done and what they've found, then report back.

Again, thanks for all your input. I've always wanted a Bird, couldn't ever afford one. After buying this one, I may find that I still can't! Sure a nice coach, though.