Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 05-26-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Cavitation and SCA's in Diesel Engines

"An electrical short in a vehicle takes the path of least resistance to ground," says Nelson, "and often that's through the cooling system. In this instance, the electrical current passing through the coolant so quickly depleted the nitrite additive in the antifreeze, that the sleeves no longer had protection against cavitation. When coolant analysis shows a rapid depletion of nitrite, coupled with an increase in nitrates, it's always a red flag for an electrical short."

Read more at;

http://www.buyerzone.com/construction/rbic-diesel-engine-coolant.html

This photograph shows Cavitation on the coolant side of a cylinder liner. Cavitation in this context is caused by the repeated collapse of vapour (gas) bubbles in the coolant fluid. During engine operation, water vapour bubbles continuously form and collapse on the sides of the liner. As the bubbles collapse, extremely high pressures-as high as 15,000 atmospheres, can occur momentarily, eroding the material. The problem can be mitigated to some extent by applying a thicker chrome layer over the surface of the liner at the time of manufacturer and good management of the engine coolant.
http://www.prosolve.co.nz/Our+Servic...gineering.html

UNDERSTANDING CAVITATION

In elastic media such as air and in most solids, there is a continuous transition as a sound wave is transmitted. In non-elastic media such as water and in most liquids, there is continuous transition as long as the amplitude or "loudness" of the sound is relatively low. As amplitude is increased, however, the magnitude of the negative pressure in the areas of rarefaction (pockets of low pressure) eventually becomes sufficient to cause the liquid to fracture, causing a phenomenon known as cavitation.
Cavitation bubbles are created at sites of low pressure as the liquid fractures or tears because of the negative pressure of the sound waves in the liquid. As the wave fronts pass, the cavitation bubbles oscillate under the influence of positive pressure, eventually growing to an unstable size. Finally, the violent collapse of the cavitation bubbles results in implosions, which cause shock waves to be radiated from the sites of the collapse. The collapse and implosion of myriad cavitation bubbles throughout an ultrasonically activated liquid result in the effect commonly associated with ultrasonics. It has been calculated that temperatures in excess of 10,000̊F and pressures in excess of 10,000 psi are generated at the implosion sites of cavitation bubbles.

MORE ON SUPPLEMENTAL COOLANT ADDITIVES

Supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) expand the protection abilities of the coolant in terms of both time and amount. Over time, however, the concentration of SCAs will gradually deplete during normal engine operation. Although SCAs provide protection for the cooling system components, it's just as important that the coolant have them in proper concentration.
The proper application of SCAs will provide:

• PH control to prevent corrosion
• Water-softening to deter formation of mineral deposits
• Cavitation protection to reduce the effects of cavitation

Read more at;

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/cavitation,_scas_and_the_proper_maintenance_of_die sel_engine_cooling_systems.htm

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/ > CAVITATION AND SCAs.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	4916
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1943   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	5363
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1944   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	4746
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1945  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-27-2009
Forum owner

a very good post ,John
This is something we all need to read.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-27-2009

Default Cavitation....

Awsome article John, very scholarly but easy to read and understand. I have made a copy for my Bird Box.
Old 05-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Awsome article John, very scholarly but easy to read and understand. I have made a copy for my Bird Box.
Tommy,

I hope that your use of my name and the word scholarly in the same sentence was no reference to me personally, as Randy and Rob know the truth and would most likely argue that one with you

I'm glad that you found the articles helpful.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-27-2009

Internet sources and info. NAPA, Cummins, Freightliner, etc all have products available also.
http://www.dieselmanor.com/cooling_sys.asp

http://shop.dieselpage.com/product.s...&categoryId=29

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif.../SCA-Part2.htm
Old 05-27-2009

Great research John, I have seen caviatation completely "eat" the ends off the blades of a stainless Steel prop on a boat. I would have NEVER belived it if I did not see it my self.
It is truly amazing what can happen and you would never know it...

"she might be old but she can still dance!"
Old 05-30-2009

Thumbs up Cavitation and SCA's in Diesel Engines

John: I was serious as a stroke about your article being scholarly. I have read Supreme Court decisions and memoranda that made no sense. Your article was right on the mark and even I (a lawyer) could understand it.

Randy would just be jealous that he could not right such an article. Hereinafter, you should be referred to as Professor Finn.
Old 05-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
John: I was serious as a stroke about your article being scholarly. I have read Supreme Court decisions and memoranda that made no sense. Your article was right on the mark and even I (a lawyer) could understand it.

Randy would just be jealous that he could not right such an article. Hereinafter, you should be referred to as Professor Finn.
Tommy,

Thanks for the kudos, but all I did was put together "QUOTES" and excerpts form articles that I found on the Internet, that I included the links to so that you could read more of it.

Actually my small amount of knowledge on the topic came from what I have picked up right here on the forum, from the membership, I just wanted to put it all together in one article, so now it is time for those of you that have passed on your knowledge to take a bow and some of the credit, this forum has the greatest store of knowledge when it comes to Blue Birds, all in one place.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-30-2009
Forum owner

hahahaa!
those liners John showed pics of came out of a John Deere tractor that i bought,it was a fresh rebuild,that never had coolant,just water in it.
I rebuilt it again.
I took those liners to the RIV and we showed them at an engine seminar.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-30-2009

Smile Cavitation and SCA's...

John, Randy & All:

Y'all are right, the greatest source of information comes from the close knit group of bird owners. Not to belittle anyone, but I just attended a rally (not a BB rally) and sat through a couple of seminars. Some of those guys driving SOB's, many for years, seem to know less than I do, and I am still a newbie. I have not gotten to the point to where I can work on my bird the way you pros do, but at least I have acquired a fundamental systems knowledge and I believe that knowledge is a preventative against other major issues that I hear some of the SOB owners discuss.

I started to ask some questions at the seminars about Cavitation, SCA's "Wet Stacking" etc., but I didn't, they'ed thought I was being a "smart ***".

Thanks, y'all