Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-03-2018
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 853
Default Broke down in Henderson NC

I shut down my DDECll to hook up my toad and when I tried to start it again no go. I checked the ground, actually took it off and cleaned it, and no difference. I did a quick scan to see if something is on the forum already but I’m sorta running out of time. I’m at the entrance to the state park so I not in a terrible jam but I need to get her going. Any thoughts?

There is only a very faint click near the engine like a relay maybe. The starter does not engage or make any effort to do so.
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2018
badandy badandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: delavan
Posts: 1,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
I shut down my DDECll to hook up my toad and when I tried to start it again no go. I checked the ground, actually took it off and cleaned it, and no difference. I did a quick scan to see if something is on the forum already but I’m sorta running out of time. I’m at the entrance to the state park so I not in a terrible jam but I need to get her going. Any thoughts?

There is only a very faint click near the engine like a relay maybe. The starter does not engage or make any effort to do so.
I would probably try to jump the starter solenoid just to see what happens... Battery voltage is good?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2018
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 853
Default

Yeah Andy, I’m showing 13v. I may be in luck there is a 24 hr service located in Henderson, just a few miles away. They’ll be here “shortly” so maybe there is some light. Hopefully they speak DDECll.
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2018
BrianS BrianS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coweta
Posts: 868
Default

If your grounds are good, I learned from Mallie to give the starter a good whack with a really big hammer and then try to start it. Worked on mine, and then we took it to a shop without turning the engine off again for a new starter.
__________________

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2018
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 853
Default

I found a key out of a bunch that worked the stern start. It fired up so I guess there is something wrong with the switch.
Thanks!!!
After we got to WallyCamp I tried the forward key again and of course it worked. ☠️
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold

Last edited by CaptPegLeg; 11-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2018
giderich's Avatar
giderich giderich is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rolla
Posts: 3,043
Default COLE HERSEE 551846 DPDT ON-OFF-ON 6 screws

Capt, sounds like the remote starter switch is flakey...


http://www.elecdirect.com/cole-herse...-on-6-screws-3


https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=15616


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
I found a key out of a bunch that worked the stern start. It fired up so I guess there is something wrong with the switch.
Thanks!!!
After we got to WallyCamp I tried the forward key again and of course it worked. ☠️
__________________
Dick & Patsy Gideon
1999 43 LXI Single Slide Body # F124510
2005 JEEP Liberty Limited CRD (diesel Toad)
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2018
CaptPegLeg CaptPegLeg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 853
Default

I think the dash switch is flakey Dick. The key switch. Will start a search for a replacement this am.
Thanks
__________________

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2018
giderich's Avatar
giderich giderich is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rolla
Posts: 3,043
Default C0LE HERSEE Rear toggle switch

Capt, I'm still betting on the Cole Hersee rear toggle switch. The fiberboard cover which is crimped onto the switch bends over time and causes the switching mechanism to fail...plus father time takes it's toll.


https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=14532


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
I think the dash switch is flakey Dick. The key switch. Will start a search for a replacement this am.
Thanks
__________________
Dick & Patsy Gideon
1999 43 LXI Single Slide Body # F124510
2005 JEEP Liberty Limited CRD (diesel Toad)
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broke Down 94W MI al perna Vehicle Issues 22 07-27-2018 04:26 PM
broke down out there Mike Hohnstein General 1 04-27-2014 11:51 AM
broke down Stephen BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) 14 04-16-2013 07:33 PM
If it AIN'T Broke DON't Fix It! birds_first Engine 53 03-21-2010 07:52 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.