Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-22-2009

When I owned a 83 FC35, I pulled the doghouse and put down plastic all around the opening on the carpet before I had the valves adjusted at a cat dealer. I also had them roll in new main bearings at the same time - all as a safety precaution.

While the doghouse was out for the valve adjustment, I re-insulated it.

When I had the valves adjusted on my cummins 8.3 in our 94 BB BMC 37' a couple of months ago, I pulled the mattress off the bed, and opened up the engine access hatch under the bed matress before cummins did the valve job. I rolled plastic from the front door back to and around the open bed hatch. I think the desiel techs have better ways to spend my $100 per hr average than doing the simple prep jobs.

Cummins had a new saftey rule - they had to lock out the chassis batteries before doing the valves. I had to haul *** down and unlock the battery compartment.
I had to put on safety glasses, metal toe clips, and a hard hat to walk back to the coach in the shop. One year prior I had to do none of that when they wanted to show me some things when I had maintainance done. I have 7 batteries - 2 chassis and 5 house - and a battery combiner switch in the compartment. I wanted to show the tech what I had (I have since labeled everything in the battery compartment).

"Management" would not let the tech use only the kill switch in the engine compartment because he could "not lock it out", even though he was working right next to said kill switch and no one could start the motor without his knowledge with his hands inside the valvetrain.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallender View Post
Typically what kind of cost can I expect to incur for getting the valves adjusted? I was told to make sure that I find a CAT mechanic for the 3208. And for those of you who have the FC and have had the valves adjusted, did you remove the dog house prior to taking it in?

Thanks a bunch for the info everyone...................Ken
Old 06-16-2009

Default Cummins valve adjustment

Dan,

How many miles did you have on your Cummins 8.3 when you did the valve adjustment and how bad were they? I have 73K on mine and I don't think it was ever done. Randy or someone told me that you could hear if they were very bad and mine sounded OK. However, if it should be done, I'll do it. And with you doing the simple inside stuff, about how much was the total cost?

Thanks

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 06-16-2009

Lee,

They ran the overhead (valve adjustment) at 48,088 miles, Dec 2008. As per Rocky Mountain Cummins, Albuquerque NM, #2 intake and #6 exhaust were far off, rest were only slightly out of adjustment. $333.32 total. This Cummins shop has a high $ shop rate (I don't recall exact hourly charge).
Old 06-16-2009

Lee,

If memory serves, Cummins wants our 8.3 engine valves adjusted initially at 24,000 miles then every 48,000 there after. A Cummins book should be in the Blue Box.

When I bought my coach it had around 44,000 miles on it. I had no record of a valve adjustment by the P.O. I did some checking with Cummins and found out that they have their maintenance records computerized but are regionalized. My coach was purchased and kept in Southern California so I called Cal Pacific Cummins and talked to a service Tech. He looked up the service on my coach by the engine serial number. He was able to tell me the date and mileage of the valve adjustment.

If you want to adjust the valves yourself you will need a Barring Tool like this:
http://www.otctools.com/products/***...e_barring_tool
and a set of valve cover gaskets.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-16-2009

Default back to basics on this

I remember years ago when I was driving diesel engine cars that there was something specific to diesel engines which require valve adjustments more so then gas engines. Is it because as things wear the valves become out of adjustment and that increases compression. There is REAL GOOD REASON for this but I don't recall but I do remember that valve adjustments were always part of the diesel engine service which is rare for gas engines. Might be interesting for you guys to explain why specifically it's important to do these adjustments.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-02-2010

I am just curious here. If I where to install a turbo/intercooler... then not change injectors or increase the flow of diesel... would I experiance better mileage?
Old 12-02-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I am just curious here. If I where to install a turbo/intercooler... then not change injectors or increase the flow of diesel... would I experiance better mileage?

Just adding a turbo on a CAT 3208NA will not work as well as a CAT 3208TA that came with a turbo, as the blocks are different with added oil squirter cooling. It has been done but it is not as good, have you looked at what I did with my CAT 3208NA for additional air intakes.

That made a tremendous difference, just ask those guys that have run with me and I'm always pulling my trailer too and that was a heck of a lot cheaper than a turbo, now it would be nice to have a CAT 3208TA in the higher elevations.

For more ideas on additional air intakes check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Fc air intake modifications

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-02-2010

Now you are thinking John. 250ta wakes them right up
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 12-02-2010

Default valve lash

I did my own valve lash adjustment. I was a little leary about this only because of my mediocre mechanic skills. I had the doghouse removed because of the throttle shaft seal replacement I was in the middle of, and Bill Pape was sure I could do it. And he was right. Once the doghouse was out, the rest was pretty easy. Much easier than the throttle seal repair. I found only one valve that I tweaked a little (may not have needed it at all; it was at the upper end of the range). The only hard part was crawling under the coach with a breaker bar and socket to turn over the crankshaft. The CAT manual has a well-written procedure about checking and adjusting the valve lash. of course, I changed the valve cover gaskets as well.
I have a well regarded diesel shop nearby and asked how much to to do this job. They refused to give me more than an estimate of "about a day" and their hourly rate is $125.00/hr. The doghouse was my job!
Because I had the doghouse out, the lash adjustment and valve cover took only about 2 hours. I was not trying to set any records since I had not done anything like this before, but I must say it went pretty well.
I found no record or the PO having done this and it seemed the right time to get it done. Thanks, Bill
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816

Last edited by markbragdon; 12-02-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbragdon View Post
I did my own valve lash adjustment. I was a little leary about this only because of my mediocre mechanic skills. I had the doghouse removed because of the throttle shaft seal replacement I was in the middle of, and Bill Pape was sure I could do it. And he was right. Once the doghouse was out, the rest was pretty easy. Much easier than the throttle seal repair. I found only one valve that I tweaked a little (may not have needed it at all; it was at the upper end of the range). The only hard part was crawling under the coach with a breaker bar and socket to turn over the crankshaft. The CAT manual has a well-written procedure about checking and adjusting the valve lash. of course, I changed the valve cover gaskets as well.
I have a well regarded diesel shop nearby and asked how much to to do this job. They refused to give me more than an estimate of "about a day" and their hourly rate is $125.00/hr. The doghouse was my job!
Because I had the doghouse out, the lash adjustment and valve cover took only about 2 hours. I was not trying to set any records since I had not done anything like this before, but I must say it went pretty well.
I found no record or the PO having done this and it seemed the right time to get it done. Thanks, Bill
Way to go Cheif. Got right in there and found out it ain't that hard. Hardest part will be getting the grease from under your nails.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656