Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 11-25-2009

Default CF-2 Cert going away...

CF-2 is the certification used for the Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engine motor oils. Apparently they cant find a 6v92ta to test the oils with so they are discontinuing the certification...

This dosnt mean the oil will not be sold, but they cant use CF-2 in the circle on the container.

Read all about it hear...
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...elicensees.pdf

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 12-22-2009

Ive got a friend that works for Chevron, asked him about the CF2 cirt going away. He checked with one of the guys who does the certification on oils, here is his response:

This is probably less of an issue than most would make it out to be. A lot of oils of a more modern nature might well pass CF-2 requirements, if the 6V92TA test were still available. However, it's not, so API will cease licensing these oils.

Note that just because API stops licensing CF-2, doesn't mean that marketers won't make an oil that they claim to be suitable for applications where CF-2 was originally specified. They just can't put CF-2 in the licensed API "donut". Which marketers may choose to do this, I don't know, but generally you're looking at lower-tier products.

The best thing for your friend to do is to contact the manufacturer of his engine, or one of their dealers (I'm assuming Detroit Diesel) and ask them what their recommendation will be for older 2-stroke engines in lieu of CF-2. For DD, they will want the latest version of publication 7SE270.

You can find the latest (I think) ver of that pub at:
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/OEM Statements/2004_OEM_detroit diesel biodiesel statement 2004.pdf

Pretty much it says only use CF2 oils in the 2 strokes...

On another note, I seen a few who are using just any straight 40wt oil and think its OK.
DELO 400, the easiest DELO oil to find, is not approved for 2 stroke DD engines.

The only DELO oil approved for the 2 strokes is DELO 100.

See these pubs from Chevron...
DELO 100
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

DELO 400
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

Not sure about other oil companys, I try to always use Chevron since they bought me a new motor for the Bonanza I had a few years ago ;}

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 12-04-2014

Since this thread already exists on this subject I wanted to update some findings on the CF-2 Certification and available compliant options.

I have swapped PM's with Mr. Bob Johannesen last night about my local source for oil. (40wt)

I have been buying ,local to support these guys, and they sell fuel ($3.24-9 now)

Kelsoe Oil Company here in Denton, Tx

I called him this morning to check on available Delo 100-40wt and he did not have it in stock. Someone had come in a few days ago and got the last pail for a 2 stroke DD. He kind of chuckled as that was the only other time than when I came in he sold any. (my luck)

He told me he would call his warehouse to see if he could order some more in. Shockingly there are only 6-5 gallon pails in the entire supply chain for the area.

I told him I needed to find an alternative if they were not going to make this "old oil" style CF-2 compliant anymore.

He gave me a website for oil information to research on. He also called his technical guys for a cross reference. They told him the best choice was Chevron (TEXACO) URSA Super Plus 40.

I used the link to the research site and sure enough it is a match with a .85% max ash level.

I was told that this level is only really critical for 100hr a year + engine duty. If you are less than that it is not critical to be in a panic on the road to find a 40wt with that criteria. (could be researched more)

I am awaiting availability and pricing on this URSA cross over.

Here is the technical website: www.matweb.com

use the search window on far right enter "chevron texaco ursa super plus 40"
FMCA 387867
Old 12-04-2014
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Since this thread already exists on this subject I wanted to update some findings on the CF-2 Certification and available compliant options.

I have swapped PM's with Mr. Bob Johannesen last night about my local source for oil. (40wt)

I have been buying ,local to support these guys, and they sell fuel ($3.24-9 now)

Kelsoe Oil Company here in Denton, Tx

I called him this morning to check on available Delo 100-40wt and he did not have it in stock. Someone had come in a few days ago and got the last pail for a 2 stroke DD. He kind of chuckled as that was the only other time than when I came in he sold any. (my luck)

He told me he would call his warehouse to see if he could order some more in. Shockingly there are only 6-5 gallon pails in the entire supply chain for the area.

I told him I needed to find an alternative if they were not going to make this "old oil" style CF-2 compliant anymore.

He gave me a website for oil information to research on. He also called his technical guys for a cross reference. They told him the best choice was Chevron (TEXACO) URSA Super Plus 40.

I used the link to the research site and sure enough it is a match with a .85% max ash level.

I was told that this level is only really critical for 100hr a year + engine duty. If you are less than that it is not critical to be in a panic on the road to find a 40wt with that criteria. (could be researched more)

I am awaiting availability and pricing on this URSA cross over.

Here is the technical website: www.matweb.com

use the search window on far right enter "chevron texaco ursa super plus 40"
Hi James,

I suppose I should be more cost conscious but since I only change my oil once a year, I use the Detroit Diesel Power Guard 40 W CF-2 Oil from the our local Detroit Diesel dealer.

MTU owns the exclusive rights to market and support all Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle engines and products for all applications on a worldwide basis. These products continue to be offered in the marketplace under the traditional Detroit Diesel brand, reflecting decades of history during which time approximately 3.5 million engines were built.

Power Guard Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil for Detroit Diesel 2 Cycle

· Essential for heavy duty 2-Cycle commercial on-highway and off-highway equipment to satisfy critical lubrication needs.

o Single viscosity, low ash formula minimizes exhaust deposits and valve burning, which can lead to premature failure
o Minimizes oil foaming, which provides maximum lubrication to help protect your engine
o Reduces slipper bushing wear and prevents liner and ring scuffing, which translates to longer component life
o For new or old engines, whether it’s working on or off-highway or in a stationary application
o Designed for diverse applications, making it easy for you to inventory what you need
o Available as 1-gallon jugs, 5-gallon pails, 55-gallon drums and in bulk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large-oil.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	32925  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-04-2014

Thats good that DD has something to fall back on.

The only issue is my local oil distributor does not have access to that option. The URSA Super Plus can be ordered by him at no extra shipping expense on a regular order.

There is no DD supply house here so Dallas would probably be the source for their option.

This posting was just for an option for everyone to know about.

I'm still reading and may find others that will carry in the 2stroke DD CF-2 needs.
FMCA 387867
Old 12-04-2014

I just called 3 locations for DD oil and no one has it. It would be shipped from Stewart Stevenson in Denver.

It is $109.68 for a 5 gallon pail.

A lot more than the $74.95 a pail I paid for Delo 100-40
FMCA 387867
Old 12-04-2014

Rotella T-1?
Castrol Assuron?

O'Reilly lists Delo 100, shows several stores in my area have it in stock. Which doesn't help you, I realize, but at least it is supposedly out there.

And then there is the DD oil.
Old 12-04-2014

Am I missing something here in that Shell Rotella T1 SAE 40W CF-2 available at all Tractor and Supply stores for $14.99 a gallon meets all DD requirements.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t1.html

Please correct me if I am in error as I want to ensure my engine has the proper protection.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 12-04-2014

Well from my entire time today reading stuff on the Internet from Shell, their product information I do not see a printed ash level. Seems that would be upfront.
All other makers show it.

I just read that even though the Rotella is CF-2 , which is obsolete rating now, it does not meet series engine specs.

Do you think this might be why DD doesn't list it as acceptable?

I don't know.... Still researching just in case another manufacturer drops the product spec.
FMCA 387867
Old 12-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
Am I missing something here in that Shell Rotella T1 SAE 40W CF-2 available at all Tractor and Supply stores for $14.99 a gallon meets all DD requirements.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t1.html

Please correct me if I am in error as I want to ensure my engine has the proper protection.
This is the link to what many of us have read over the years and seem to follow this advise and information
http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN