Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 07-01-2009

For those of us with a longer span to work on- I'm thinking about the AC compressor on my S60. It's a long ways from any other pulley. I'll bet you could use 2 pieces of all thread, one on each end of the wood block, and go a LONG ways across the engine to tighten a belt up.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-02-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
1982 FC35RB 'BIRD CATERPILLAR 3208NA BELTS
UPDATED APRIL 2007

BELTS ARE LISTED IN ORDER OF INSTALLATION FIRST TO LAST INSTALLED. THE NEW GATES FLEETRUNNER NUMBERS ARE NOW LISTED

THE AIRCONDITIONER COMPRESSOR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM MY 'BIRD.
THE POWER STEERING PUMP HAS ONLY A ONE GROOVE PULLEY.

GATES/NAPA BELTS

WATER PUMP / CRANK / IDLER PULLEY
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9490
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9490HD

POWER STEERING PUMP / CRANK
(1 BELT) NAPA XL 25-9370
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9370HD

ALTERNATOR / AIR COMPRESSOR / WATER PUMP
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9600
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9600HD

HORTON AIR CLUTCH FAN / CRANK
(2 BELTS) NAPA XL25-9455
GATES FLEETRUNNER 9455HD

There is a particular way to adjust the tension on the fan drive/pulley belts, on a Cat 3208NA engine. First insert the four mounting bolts, through the sliding plate bracket that is part of the Fan/Pulley assembly and into the front mounting holes on the engine, making sure that the top adjusting bolt/locking nut on the sliding assembly are loose. Tighten the mounting bolts enough so that the assembly will still slide up, or down with just a little resistance. Now get all of the belts in place, then adjust the sliding assembly adjustment bolt on top until the correct tension on the belts is attained, then tighten the mounting bolts up in the sliding bracket, then when you think that they are tight, loosen the top adjusting bolt/locking nut back out a little and then you will be able to tighten the mounting bolts up quite a bit more, when this is all done, tighten the sliding assembly top adjusting bolt back up snuggly and with the locking nut that is on the adjusting bolt, lock it in place. Make sure that you always tighten fan belt assembly before the power steering and then re-tighten all of the belts after 100 miles.

If you just quit after the first bolt tightening phase, it will leave the sliding bracket at a slight angle and can cause the belts to come loose, or in a worse case scenario, it will do what mine did and loosen all of the mounting bolts back up and out and the fan will drop, I was Lucky, I heard it when it happened after I had left Randy's.

There was a well meaning person there that had never owned an FC model 'Bird with a 3208NA and he wanted to help Randy and he didn't do the adjustment correctly. I managed to fix it temporarily in a Wal Mart parking lot in Orlando and get it back to Randy's at night when it was cool, so that Randy could rebuild the Horton Fan clutch, as it had broken off the air line when it dropped and the fan would not engage at all.
Since this bolt tightening sequence was performed again after the Horton rebuild, I have never had the assembly come loose, or loose a belt again. I do not have the belt for the airconditioner compressor, as the compressor has been removed entirely.

For more photos of the proper adjustment procedure, go to http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/84724286 and then click on "NEXT" at the right of each page for more information.

For further information about proper belt tension go to; CATERLILLAR 3208 V BELT TENSION DATA.pdf

For another drawing about the fan drive tightener parts, go to; CAT 3208 FAN DRIVE TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg

For another drawing of the idler Pulley tightener parts, go to; CAT 3209 IDLER PULLEY BELT TIGHTENER DRAWING.jpg

I have updated the information in the quoted post to include the Gates Fleetrunner belt numbers.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-28-2010

Default belt tension

John Finn, great article on the belt tensioning. Very informative. Any way to convert the Bando numbers to lbs? I bought the Gates krikit IV device which seems really cool, but only works in pounds. My parts books does not(?) seem to show proper tension data. Can anyone help?
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler "RDTOAD"
207-939-3816
Old 01-28-2010
Administrator

I have the tool but have not used it . Before I had the tool I did it by feel and several years later all is well.

But in my notes with the tool I have listed, 90 to 120# for new belts &
for used belts 70 to 90 #.
Gates states that belts are manufactured to close tolerances, and no need for matched sets, So use Gates Green stripe or Gates Fleetrunner or NAPA Gold is also made by Gates.
Old 01-28-2010

Default belts

Thanks, Bill I will go with 100# for my new belts. Are all these able to be done from under the coach, or do I need to swing the rad? Not looking forward to that. Starting to snow here.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler "RDTOAD"
207-939-3816
Old 01-28-2010

You need to swing the Radiator. Not a bad job, just takes a little time.
Old 01-28-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbragdon View Post
Thanks, Bill I will go with 100# for my new belts. Are all these able to be done from under the coach, or do I need to swing the rad? Not looking forward to that. Starting to snow here.
Maybe the power steering belts could be adjusted, but not all 8 or 9 belts.
There are adjustments on the water pump/fan, alternator, power steering and that big pulley on the left side. Better to open the front and also do some other work , such as oil cooler hoses , replace any old or weak hoses attached to the engine, check the alternator, & pulleys. The coolant need to be drained, so maybe service the radiator, thermostat & heater loop hoses,etc. Better to tackle this job when you have the time and do it all, Even the air clutch can be checked for leaks, & maybe more.
All of this is not urgent, nor necessary at the same time. This is just a thought.
I have opened the front probably 6 times , Doing repairs over the years, looking back it would have been more convenient to do it all at the same time. But waiting for parts is another issue, Your Bird could be down for a few weeks, trying to do it all at the same time.
Old 02-08-2010

I have what appears to be the same belt configuration on our 3208 as the one in this thread but the napa numbers are different. Anyone know why they would have different belts on our Bird? the numbers on our power steering and Altinator are as follows 250905, 259590
Old 02-08-2010
Administrator

Could be a different alternator or power steering pump requiring a different belt for the pulley arrangement.
or take the belts to NAPA or truck parts place for a cross reference or match.
Compare width & length
Old 04-03-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here are the belt numbers for the 300 3208. Bill Pape gave me numbers that were different from your 225HP engine. Mine is the 300 TA and uses Bill's belts. I think it would help to have all the numbers in one place. I use that image of yours every time I do the belts. Very helpful!
water pump to clutch is 9485 (HD)
compressor to alternator is 9600 (HD)
power steering is 9415 (HD)
We do not use the A/C compressor belt.
Just a thought. Thanks

Windham, Maine
"Scene Changer"
97 Jeep Wrangler "RDTOAD"
207-939-3816