Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2011

Default Pulley Glazing

I am determined to stop my belts from squealing. I am going to buy a tension gauge and the Gates belts. Since my belts have squealed quite a bit in the past, will the pulleys be glazed and how do I remove this glaze? With emery cloth?
Old 06-12-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
I am determined to stop my belts from squealing. I am going to buy a tension gauge and the Gates belts. Since my belts have squealed quite a bit in the past, will the pulleys be glazed and how do I remove this glaze? With emery cloth?

While I have never had to do this myself, I would think that would work at creating a slightly rough surface to give the belts a better area to HOLD onto, rather than a glazed surface.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-16-2011

I am going to order my belts. My air compressor belt is listed on the BB service parts sheet as a Gates 8521-9590. Is this the same as the current 9590? What does the 8521 designate?
Old 06-22-2011

I am in the middle of the belt replacement. I can't figure out how to loosen the power steering pump. Somebody help please!

Is it the three big bolts on the front bracket? I can't get them to budge. It looks like only one of them has an adjustment groove.
Old 06-22-2011

Richard,

Why are you loosening the power steering pump?

I don't recall needing to do that in order to change the belts. Maybe my tired mind is having issues tonight...
Linden, Michigan
Old 06-22-2011

It's okay, I got it. 19 years of grease and dirt had covered over the second adjusting slot. It took my 1/2" torque wrench to break the bolts, those suckers were tight.

I have a double groove pulley and two belts going to the power steering pump. The idler pulley is fixed so the power steering pump has to be loosened.
Old 06-23-2011
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
I have the tool but have not used it . Before I had the tool I did it by feel and several years later all is well.

But in my notes with the tool I have listed, 90 to 120# for new belts &
for used belts 70 to 90 #.
Gates states that belts are manufactured to close tolerances, and no need for matched sets, So use Gates Green stripe or Gates Fleetrunner or NAPA Gold is also made by Gates.
Hey everyone.. 1st, yes the power steering pump has a pivot point on the bottom and the top 2 bolts have slots for tension adjust.

About these Gates belts. Jeff paid good money for the premium "no need for match sets" and guess what. We found close to 3/8" difference in the pairs. SO.. they went back as there was no way to get the adjustments the same. So be cautious and actually hold them together to check fit before purchase OR request match sets.

Also, the belt number supplied earlier weren't 100% correct. Remember, no two birds are alike. Jeff's had a different alternator so I'd imagine that changed the belt requirement. I see different mounts, adjustment styles, etc... So be careful and make sure you're well within your adjustment range as these will stretch and need tightening again soon.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 06-23-2011

Very true Mike. My SP belts are completely different numbers from what John posted for an FC. The bracket on my power steering pump is rotated about 90 degrees from John's photos. I don't have a water pump belt (looks like my water pump is internally driven). My power steering belts are the first installed (furthest toward the back).

I only got 4 of my 7 belts on tonight before I ran out of daylight. Took me 4 hours from when I started taking the old ones off, guess I'm not too good of a mechanic. Kind of disappointed in that because every time I mess with belts in that SP I end up looking like a coal miner! Somebody said they get 45 degrees of swing on their SP radiator. I only get about 30 degrees and end up feeling like I've gone ten rounds by the time I get done. There's just no room. My knees are killing me after close to 4 hours of kneeling on them. Definitely the physically most punishing job I have done on the coach.

My belts were not matched but the first set was bang on, second set is slightly off but close enough (about 20 lbs. difference in tension). I guess I'll find out about the third set when I finish up.
Old 06-23-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
Very true Mike. My SP belts are completely different numbers from what John posted for an FC. The bracket on my power steering pump is rotated about 90 degrees from John's photos. I don't have a water pump belt (looks like my water pump is internally driven). My power steering belts are the first installed (furthest toward the back).

I only got 4 of my 7 belts on tonight before I ran out of daylight. Took me 4 hours from when I started taking the old ones off, guess I'm not too good of a mechanic. Kind of disappointed in that because every time I mess with belts in that SP I end up looking like a coal miner! Somebody said they get 45 degrees of swing on their SP radiator. I only get about 30 degrees and end up feeling like I've gone ten rounds by the time I get done. There's just no room. My knees are killing me after close to 4 hours of kneeling on them. Definitely the physically most punishing job I have done on the coach.

My belts were not matched but the first set was bang on, second set is slightly off but close enough (about 20 lbs. difference in tension). I guess I'll find out about the third set when I finish up.

Richard,

We really would appreciate some pictures to go along with your description, so that in the future other members would have a visual reference of what they have to look forward to, so please get us some pictures, remember to use a FORCED FLASH when you take the pictures of your engine.

As far as the belts on a SP being different than those on MY 1982 FC, I would agree, but if you read further in the thread there is a post by Bill Pape with the numbers for the belts on his later model FC with a CAT 3208 300 horsepower version which may have the same belts as what a SP has and just like Mike posted there can always be something different as far as accessories on your engine that will make a difference, when I changed from the original alternator I had to use a different belt too.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-23-2011
Forum owner

Richard,make sure you wash out the radiator and the CAC too.
They do get full of dirt and crud.
I'm sure you know that!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com