Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-17-2009

Well it seems like some like the retarder and some like the jake better,,,,,,, but I doubt if there would be any disagreement that having BOTH is better than either alone.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 09-17-2009
hturner 12

Default Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshreds View Post
Well it seems like some like the retarder and some like the jake better,,,,,,, but I doubt if there would be any disagreement that having BOTH is better than either alone.
Elliot
I am considering using both, but do not know if would be overkill or they would not interact well together. When I take the bus down to get the Jakes put on that will be one of my questions. I can see times when youi need everything you got to get stopped (the fool just pulled out in front of you or stopped for no reason)
Old 09-18-2009

I received this email...
Did you keep your retarder hooked up? I remember you were saying something about it or the fast idle being disconnected to power the jake and you had you set to either on or off. Have you found any problems being on or off with no high lo? About how many sdid yours take? I aam quessing about 10-15?

I replied to the email...
Well, I do not know your name. You must have sent a private message to me. I'm still learning how the WOG software works. I wonder if my reply to you will appear on the WOG site...

I'll try to answer your questions. The Retarder is still hooked up, and it is switched off at the dash. I haven't tried yet but will one day to use both the Jake and the Retarder. The Jake works so well that the Retarder seems like a joke in comparison. But one day they both might work in unison. Allison suggested leaving the Retarder OFF when using the Jake...no real explanation and no definitive input if our transmission was intended to work with or without a Jake.

I left the fast idle out of the equation for now. Will eventually come up with a cheap but good work around that will cost me a few buck vs. $500.

The Jake is powered on it own from the front dash switch. It's wired single meaning ALL Jakes are either on or off.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2009
hturner 12

Default my srew upup

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
I received this email...
Did you keep your retarder hooked up? I remember you were saying something about it or the fast idle being disconnected to power the jake and you had you set to either on or off. Have you found any problems being on or off with no high lo? About how many sdid yours take? I aam quessing about 10-15?

Well, I do not know your name. You must have sent a private message to me. I'm still learning how the WOG software works. I wonder if my reply to you will appear on the WOG site...

I'll try to answer your questions. The Retarder is still hooked up, and it is switched off at the dash. I haven't tried yet but will one day to use both the Jake and the Retarder. The Jake works so well that the Retarder seems like a joke in comparison. But one day they both might work in unison. Allison suggested leaving the Retarder OFF when using the Jake...no real explanation and no definitive input if our transmission was intended to work with or without a Jake.

I left the fast idle out of the equation for now. Will eventually come up with a cheap but good work around that will cost me a few buck vs. $500.

The Jake is powered on it own from the front dash switch. It's wired single meaning ALL Jakes are either on or off.
sorry about that Curt I thought my email address was in my contact list.

Hugh
Old 09-18-2009

Folks have asked it it's a lot of work to add a Jake. Below is a high level description of what it takes to add a Jake.

8V92 Jake Install –

Parts needed… see “Jake 71 92 Parts Manual 0158038” on this site for Jake component detail. You want the 12V kit, not the 24V kit. Automatic transmissions do not need the clutch buffer switch. It might be part of the kit.

Plus Tall Valve Covers and the Cover Gaskets. When purchasing the tall valve covers…try to get the same configuration as the original covers, the oil fill is in the same location when the tall covers are on the engine. If not, and you have a bulk oil fill, the bulk oil fill hose will need to be extended to reach the front of the cove vs. rear oil fill hole. And no bulk oil fill…well you get the message, much more difficult to add oil to the engine; you get dirty reaching in to the front of the valve cover. Not a big deal but worth mentioning…wear a paint suite.

Plus one or two wires from the front dash Jake Switch to the rear of the coach. One wire allows for either half Jakes or all Jakes. Two wires allow for two Jake setting…one side of the engine or both. It’s best to use both sides, easier on the engine, double the braking, etc. so one wire should do it.

If running a wire loom from the front of the coach to the back, run some extra wires as you may need them one day for another project, improvement, etc. A little more cost for the wire…a whole lot less work to run the length of the coach once than multiple times.

Feeler gauge as described in the above indicated Parts Manual, or something that works to take its place.

The Work…Remove Fluid and Parts
Drain out about 10 gallons of coolant, maybe 12.
Remove the coolants cross tube.
Remove the necessary Exhaust Blankets.
Remove the necessary Exhaust Tubes to give good access into the engine compartment from the rear.
Remove other components as necessary…should not be much, never know what we’ve put back there that might be in the way.
Remove the valve cover breather hoses.
Remove the valve covers.
Remove the head fuel components.

Install the Jakes…Add Parts
Install the Supplies and the Drones paying attention to the oil connectors as explained in Jake documents within WOG site.
One of the Supplies or Drones may need to be ground off a bit to fit in properly, normal.
Install the fuel tubes.
Tighten and adjust everything, valves included, according to the procedures within this site. There is a fuel detent, or fuel modulator in there. It’s your choice to bump that up to give fuel flow NOW or leave it as it came from the factory. The NOW really smokes (BLACK SCREEN) off the line when giving the engine lots of throttle. Light on the throttle for a few feet and then more throttle and the smoke is way less.

Add the Group Control wiring to the Supplies, the grommets as indicated, and feed the wires out through the fittings in the heads

Remove the Governor. Using parts from the Governor and the new Buffer Switch, install the New Buffer Switch. To retain the High Idle, the part(s) cost $500.00. I opted to leave the High Idle out for now. One day I’ll devise something at a reduced cost to again have the High Idle.

Wire the Group Control and the Buffer Switch, either half and/or all depending on one or two wires from the dash switch.

The Tall Valve covers…
The Tall Valve Covers may have come with all the necessary components; that being the breathers and one Oil Fill/Plug. If not, or your original components are in better shape, remove the components from the original valve covers, wash everything, and install in the Tall Valve covers. Be sure to pay attention to the breather hose direction or you will be removing the covers and turning the breathers 180 degrees.

Install the valve cover Gaskets,

Install the Tall Valve covers.

Hook up the breather hoses.

Reverse the parts removal to reinstall all parts removed.

Return the coolant to the engine. I use a hose with a brass or cooper fitting at one end that has a ball in that fitting. It’s the shaker/siphon type that’s been around for a long time. Using a Step Ladder, place the coolant bucket on top of the step ladder (bottom height of bucket should be just taller than the coolant filler cap). Siphon the coolant back into the engine. Watch the end of the bucket and do not let the settled dirt get back into the engine.

Install the radiator cap.

Take a test drive.

Let the engine cool down…check the coolant as you WILL lose some during the draining/filling. Top up as necessary.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hturner 12 View Post
sorry about that Curt I thought my email address was in my contact list.

Hugh
To follow up here on the WOG site...I see you plan to attend the SWBB 2010 "Q" rally, me too. John Finn plans to conduct a Tech Talk session to educate us how the WOB software works. I need the education. I'm looking forward to John;'s Tech Talk. This same software is used by many organizations, very popular.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
To follow up here on the WOG site...I see you plan to attend the SWBB 2010 "Q" rally, me too. John Finn plans to conduct a Tech Talk session to educate us how the WOB software works. I need the education. I'm looking forward to John;'s Tech Talk. This same software is used by many organizations, very popular.
Quote:
Curt,

The WOG forum Tech Talk at "Q" will be a learning session for me too..............

I learned some things when we did the first one at Myrtle Beach this year and I'm sure that I will learn some more at both RATS and "Q" too. It is more of a shared knowledge session than anything else.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-18-2009
Forum owner

I do believe I could install the jake system.
But i KNOW that I cannot run the rack properly.
I have run the rack and adjusted valves on detroits,but i just have not done enough of them to be good at it,and I don't want to be good at it!

I have a forklift here with a detroit engine,i did an in-frame rebuild on it a few years ago,it never ran what I would call "good",but it did OK.
A buddy from daytona that loves detroits came over and spent a day playing with it,that old forklift screams now.
its a touchy feelie thing,not all gauges and pins when you do the tune-up.which is required after you add the jake.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-18-2009
Wannabe

Question Jake brake

Would some one tell me the difference between the retarder and a jake brake?
Old 09-18-2009

Basic, but a Jake uses the engine compression, while a retarder uses the transmission resistance.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support